Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 402
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
T..............
So far my conclusion-the k200d is excellent in the lower iso range while the K-x is high iso champion-I'll use them both depending on the situation. It's not a replacement-they are a good kit together.

Andras
Andras, and others who have both cameras:

Can you post a photo showing both cameras to give me an idea of their size differences? Or a link that shows the two together - dpreview normally shows this but they probably won't until they do their full review (if ever). For street candids and travel I'm interested in a small, small pkg especially with a DA Limited lens on it (DA21 or 40). Since the DA Limiteds are no more than f2.8 matching it with K-x might be the ticket!

I also have a k200d, somewhat on the fence with getting the K-x. I'd like to get the K-x for it's higher ISO capabilities (ISO 3200+) for available light street candids and indoor shots.

12-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Velence, Hungary
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
Andras, and others who have both cameras:

Can you post a photo showing both cameras to give me an idea of their size differences? Or a link that shows the two together - dpreview normally shows this but they probably won't until they do their full review (if ever). For street candids and travel I'm interested in a small, small pkg especially with a DA Limited lens on it (DA21 or 40). Since the DA Limiteds are no more than f2.8 matching it with K-x might be the ticket!

I also have a k200d, somewhat on the fence with getting the K-x. I'd like to get the K-x for it's higher ISO capabilities (ISO 3200+) for available light street candids and indoor shots.
I 'll do it for ya' just wait a few minutes-look back in half an hour or so.

Andras

here we go:










In practice the K200D feels more solid not only because it's heavier but it's grip is bigger too. As the K-x is my new toy I haven't done any pictures with the K200d until today and I have to say it feels bigger it's still very comfortable to hold. On the other hand the DA16-45 balances very well on the K-x too. On the pictures the K-x is paired with the DA50-200 which is a very nice lens and the K-x's high iso capabilities makes it even better. Now I need some ltd.primes hahaha...

Last edited by planedriver; 12-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.
12-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Keller
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
. . . For street candids and travel I'm interested in a small, small pkg especially with a DA Limited...
I wouldn't call K-x "small, small..." comparing to K200D.
It is smaller - probably 4-5 mm each dimensions and lighter,
and actually feels a lot lighter, but far from calling it "small,small".

For candids, one probably wanted to draw less attention, but
looking from the side, not many people would be able to tell a difference between K200D and K-x.
12-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 402
Thx Andras!
From the pictures it's not that much smaller but it's 1600/3200 ISO performance sure is intriguing.

For the small size maybe I'll get the Leica M8.2 or M9 instead

Oh..... it looks like DPReview just posted their full review. Time to check it out.

12-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
Just keep it for daytime use... k200d sensor's ISO 100 is made by the devil.

Or you can get a WR lens / convert to IR to increase your setup's range
12-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
In practice the K200D feels more solid not only because it's heavier but it's grip is bigger too.
I have used both the K200D and K-x/K-m. Looking at these pictures I realize one thing I really like about the K-x: all the controls are on the right so it's easy to do everything with one hand. And while the top LCD disappeared, everything is on the back LCD and with more info. Aside from the weather sealing, the optional grip and the AF LED overlay, there's not much I'd miss from the K200D. The shutter is louder on the K-x though.
12-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sammamish, WA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 157
I love my K200D, it's rock solid in any weather, and I get great results from it though of course hi ISO is a challenge. I may add a K-x to compliment it next year, for those night time soccer & baseball games, for Auto-X's in my M3 when I want to video it. (wish it had a stereo mic input!)

But with no option for an extended grip/battery pack like my K200D, it can't never hold the old heavy glass near as well....

So both will have to be in my Kit....I'll get a red one to match my M3. My Son has a White K2000 (1 of 500 in the USA) and may get a White K-x as well soon...to match his kit and his Stormtrooper themed car...LOL!
12-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Keller
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 81
Original Poster
Just sold my K200D. So sad... but at least new owner seems to be a nice person and is going to take good care of my old buddy ...LOL

New life begins with K-x !

12-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Enjoy your K-x, and don't look back - there will always be an element of seller's remorse to make you doubt yourself.
12-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
Perfect thread... I came to the forum today because I was intending to ask this question, (though I haven't actually bought a K-x).... I was considering an upgrade (sidegrade?) from my K200D to a K-x because it seemed that it would be a lot lighter, and some days my wrists just hate the K200D.

However, weather sealing is important, I'm often down at the beach and I really don't want sand and spray getting into the camera. High ISO is less important, and I guess I have got really used to having a top LCD...

Conclusion: keep using the K200D until something else really compelling comes along. Oh yeah, and buy more lenses
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Perfect thread... I came to the forum today because I was intending to ask this question, (though I haven't actually bought a K-x).... I was considering an upgrade (sidegrade?) from my K200D to a K-x because it seemed that it would be a lot lighter, and some days my wrists just hate the K200D.

However, weather sealing is important, I'm often down at the beach and I really don't want sand and spray getting into the camera. High ISO is less important, and I guess I have got really used to having a top LCD...

Conclusion: keep using the K200D until something else really compelling comes along. Oh yeah, and buy more lenses
Same conclusion here.
12-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 99
I have both K200D and K-X. Ever since the K-X arrived I haven't touched my K200D, it now resides in my dry box. I'm still keeping the K200D for the meantime, I may need it for when it's raining outside.
12-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
I have both K200D and K-X. Ever since the K-X arrived I haven't touched my K200D, it now resides in my dry box. I'm still keeping the K200D for the meantime, I may need it for when it's raining outside.
Haven't you also just recommended the K-x over the D90? (Kidding. No real D90 vs kx // k200d vs kx analogy.)
12-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #29
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 99
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Haven't you also just recommended the K-x over the D90? (Kidding. No real D90 vs kx // k200d vs kx analogy.)
Yes I did. The K-X sensor is better than the D90.
12-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
As far as I know, they have the same Sony 12mp.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, forum, k200d, kx, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax SDM lenses, how much they are really worth or are they worth it? Pentaxor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 01-17-2015 11:32 PM
Is DA really worth the $$$??? jboyde Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 12-04-2009 10:30 PM
Worth $60? LMRacing Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 08-13-2009 07:42 PM
lx worth this much advancena Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 05-03-2009 06:13 PM
new k10d worth 150 more than K200D ? deadpink Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 10-10-2008 06:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top