Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
T..............
So far my conclusion-the k200d is excellent in the lower iso range while the K-x is high iso champion-I'll use them both depending on the situation. It's not a replacement-they are a good kit together.

Andras
Andras, and others who have both cameras:

Can you post a photo showing both cameras to give me an idea of their size differences? Or a link that shows the two together - dpreview normally shows this but they probably won't until they do their full review (if ever). For street candids and travel I'm interested in a small, small pkg especially with a DA Limited lens on it (DA21 or 40). Since the DA Limiteds are no more than f2.8 matching it with K-x might be the ticket!

I also have a k200d, somewhat on the fence with getting the K-x. I'd like to get the K-x for it's higher ISO capabilities (ISO 3200+) for available light street candids and indoor shots.

12-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
Andras, and others who have both cameras:

Can you post a photo showing both cameras to give me an idea of their size differences? Or a link that shows the two together - dpreview normally shows this but they probably won't until they do their full review (if ever). For street candids and travel I'm interested in a small, small pkg especially with a DA Limited lens on it (DA21 or 40). Since the DA Limiteds are no more than f2.8 matching it with K-x might be the ticket!

I also have a k200d, somewhat on the fence with getting the K-x. I'd like to get the K-x for it's higher ISO capabilities (ISO 3200+) for available light street candids and indoor shots.
I 'll do it for ya' just wait a few minutes-look back in half an hour or so.

Andras

here we go:

In practice the K200D feels more solid not only because it's heavier but it's grip is bigger too. As the K-x is my new toy I haven't done any pictures with the K200d until today and I have to say it feels bigger it's still very comfortable to hold. On the other hand the DA16-45 balances very well on the K-x too. On the pictures the K-x is paired with the DA50-200 which is a very nice lens and the K-x's high iso capabilities makes it even better. Now I need some ltd.primes hahaha...

Last edited by planedriver; 12-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.
12-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
. . . For street candids and travel I'm interested in a small, small pkg especially with a DA Limited...
I wouldn't call K-x "small, small..." comparing to K200D.
It is smaller - probably 4-5 mm each dimensions and lighter,
and actually feels a lot lighter, but far from calling it "small,small".

For candids, one probably wanted to draw less attention, but
looking from the side, not many people would be able to tell a difference between K200D and K-x.
12-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thx Andras!
From the pictures it's not that much smaller but it's 1600/3200 ISO performance sure is intriguing.

For the small size maybe I'll get the Leica M8.2 or M9 instead

Oh..... it looks like DPReview just posted their full review. Time to check it out.

12-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Just keep it for daytime use... k200d sensor's ISO 100 is made by the devil.

Or you can get a WR lens / convert to IR to increase your setup's range
12-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
In practice the K200D feels more solid not only because it's heavier but it's grip is bigger too.
I have used both the K200D and K-x/K-m. Looking at these pictures I realize one thing I really like about the K-x: all the controls are on the right so it's easy to do everything with one hand. And while the top LCD disappeared, everything is on the back LCD and with more info. Aside from the weather sealing, the optional grip and the AF LED overlay, there's not much I'd miss from the K200D. The shutter is louder on the K-x though.
12-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
I love my K200D, it's rock solid in any weather, and I get great results from it though of course hi ISO is a challenge. I may add a K-x to compliment it next year, for those night time soccer & baseball games, for Auto-X's in my M3 when I want to video it. (wish it had a stereo mic input!)

But with no option for an extended grip/battery pack like my K200D, it can't never hold the old heavy glass near as well....

So both will have to be in my Kit....I'll get a red one to match my M3. My Son has a White K2000 (1 of 500 in the USA) and may get a White K-x as well soon...to match his kit and his Stormtrooper themed car...LOL!

12-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #23
Closed Account

Original Poster
Just sold my K200D. So sad... but at least new owner seems to be a nice person and is going to take good care of my old buddy ...LOL

New life begins with K-x !
12-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy your K-x, and don't look back - there will always be an element of seller's remorse to make you doubt yourself.
12-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perfect thread... I came to the forum today because I was intending to ask this question, (though I haven't actually bought a K-x).... I was considering an upgrade (sidegrade?) from my K200D to a K-x because it seemed that it would be a lot lighter, and some days my wrists just hate the K200D.

However, weather sealing is important, I'm often down at the beach and I really don't want sand and spray getting into the camera. High ISO is less important, and I guess I have got really used to having a top LCD...

Conclusion: keep using the K200D until something else really compelling comes along. Oh yeah, and buy more lenses
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Perfect thread... I came to the forum today because I was intending to ask this question, (though I haven't actually bought a K-x).... I was considering an upgrade (sidegrade?) from my K200D to a K-x because it seemed that it would be a lot lighter, and some days my wrists just hate the K200D.

However, weather sealing is important, I'm often down at the beach and I really don't want sand and spray getting into the camera. High ISO is less important, and I guess I have got really used to having a top LCD...

Conclusion: keep using the K200D until something else really compelling comes along. Oh yeah, and buy more lenses
Same conclusion here.
12-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
Forum Member

I have both K200D and K-X. Ever since the K-X arrived I haven't touched my K200D, it now resides in my dry box. I'm still keeping the K200D for the meantime, I may need it for when it's raining outside.
12-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
I have both K200D and K-X. Ever since the K-X arrived I haven't touched my K200D, it now resides in my dry box. I'm still keeping the K200D for the meantime, I may need it for when it's raining outside.
Haven't you also just recommended the K-x over the D90? (Kidding. No real D90 vs kx // k200d vs kx analogy.)
12-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Haven't you also just recommended the K-x over the D90? (Kidding. No real D90 vs kx // k200d vs kx analogy.)
Yes I did. The K-X sensor is better than the D90.
12-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

As far as I know, they have the same Sony 12mp.