Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #31
Nubi

I don't believe that I have been rude, but I am still curious about manual focusing issue. How is it that the focus cannot be adjusted to your liking manually?

By the way, I do think that "sharpness" of a picture is certainly not the most important aspect of photography, to me anyway. Sorry, off the subject. But I can sense the irritation and frustration of OP.

Sorry dude, I hope you figure it out.

12-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
sorry but did you even read where the OP indicated that the CHRIS folks reported there IS an issue with the AF?
Must have missed it. I also don't know what "CHRIS" is. I did a mention that that Pentax offered to do an AF adjustment for a fee, but that's not really an indication that they agree there is a problem. And of course, no AF problem could *possibly* explain any softness that might exist in the landscape photos posted: AF problems shift focus by a matter of millimeters. They wouldn't throw the entire viewable landscape out of focus.

QuoteQuote:
I mean from reading it does not appear he even has the camera for any further testing.
That could be. But presumably he still has full sized images he could post.

QuoteQuote:
this is not a forced march and is supposed to be for FUN not to argue or badger.
My point here isn't to argue or badger - it is to *help* the OP diagnose whether or not his camera has a problem. At this point, there is basically no way to know. And that would seem a relevant thing to determine if he is trying to decide whether to spend money on an AF adjustment.
12-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Must have missed it. I also don't know what "CHRIS" is. I did a mention that that Pentax offered to do an AF adjustment for a fee, but that's not really an indication that they agree there is a problem. And of course, no AF problem could *possibly* explain any softness that might exist in the landscape photos posted: AF problems shift focus by a matter of millimeters. They wouldn't throw the entire viewable landscape out of focus.
D'OH!! hahaha....see what too much Family Guy viewing will do to your brain!! I meant to write...CRIS...sigh, old age and constantly deteriorating synapses I suppose...but you got the idea, I hope so anyway??

As far as the AF causing those awful results in the first samples. My thoughts if an AF mechanical defect could cause the issue or not. Until that is fixed the whole discussion is moot. I would offer that it is potentially possible the issue somehow affects the whole focusing system in general. Based on the info we have been given, there not enough info to say either way, and apparently nor does CRIS or now Pentax either. The only way to find out is to ensure all defects in the body are fixed and within spec. After that it is either a case of user error (generally the case...with most computer sorta devices) or something with the lens-body match-up in a sort of Tacoma Narrows fashion where the tolerance variances in each component of the system are fine when taken individually, but pair them and all heck breaks loose and people die. Hopefully the setup won't kill the OP but he might kill the camera if it keeps up (for the OP's reference I prefer a 34oz checker face framing hammer as my 'fine adjustment' tool for electronic devices, or lacking that make the offending device watch while another electronic device suffers the fate promised if it does not begin to perform as expected...hehehe...I once had a really annoying laptop issue, so I threw the remote in the fireplace...the laptop started working perfectly and continued to do so for 4-years more. ), so that camera best know it's on the edge of the landfill and shape up now!

QuoteQuote:
My point here isn't to argue or badger - it is to *help* the OP diagnose whether or not his camera has a problem. At this point, there is basically no way to know. And that would seem a relevant thing to determine if he is trying to decide whether to spend money on an AF adjustment.
Yup, its all on the OP now as to paying for the repairs needed. No doubt the OP dropped the ball on getting in warranty service...yet at the same time I am certain this sort of situation is not uncommon for mfg's to run into these days which is likely why Pentax came back with a counter offer to try and help make a happy customer. Only time will tell what the result will be...I hope the OP comes back to update the tread.

And I KNOW you are always trying to help, and ya do a wonderful job in supporting users, I really was just teasing ya there because of all the folks already posting for this and that trying to help...its hard to respond because people get frustrated trying to appease everyone's requests. When helping a user I have found there are the sort of people who need to be allowed to digest something to see why, or even what, is being asked of them. But when a bunch of, no matter how well intentioned, people begin rapid firing requests for info, again, it can intimidate or even put them off. It's not an inquisition so if there are already questions I find it's often best to wait until the OP responds to them before posting more questions. Also the OP had responded the camera was in the possession of CRIS/Pentax, hence the "not a forced march" comment, it is supposed to just be FUN. Let that settle where it may.

All of us who are here most of the time some days, understand, but the new or casual poster can find it a bit intimidating and have the attempts to help them come across as more then they can deal with...its why so many people just lurk, they are afraid asking might be putting themselves in a position to be put under a bright lamp in a small room while people stand around with thick rubber hoses all asking questions or making comments at the same time.

Trust me I know there is a process to solving problems like this...and getting good answers back is almost an art form...I will usually ask once and let it end there and if the poster responds directly the fine, if not, well fine as well.

Anyway, that was why I wrote what I wrote...it simply seemed there was a feeding frenzy over getting info back from the OP which could turn counter productive. I feel Philbaum hit the nail on the head in his post about "lightening up" a bit.