PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by huntly2 Quote
As requested a few photos.
I'm viewing the pics on my phone so I might have missed something, but the pics look as expected -- large sky, somewhat cloudy == require some metering techniques. I've had this problem and posted for help before. Someone stated that the gray (from fog or cloud) could fool your camera due to the way the camera meters. If you search the web for how to take sundown photo you will find the same technique needed to take those shots better.

With that, now you only have the focusing problem that you probably could tinker with yourself using the debug menu. Good luck.
12-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed - these pictures are what is to be expected for any scene dominated by large expanses of light sky as these were. You might want to do some researching on how camera metering works, what "18% gray" is and why it is important, and how to use to exposure compensation or substitute metering to override the expopsure in scenes where you know you will want different results from what "correct" exposure is according to the camera. Shaded scenes dominated by light sky will always require positive exposure compensation or else metering off the ground, t otherwise you get exactly what you got here: well exposed sky, dark ground. That's the way camera meters have worked for the better part of a century.

The last one doesn't have sky, of course, but there also doesn't seem to be anything to complain about with it.
12-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
More Critique Please

Hello,

I picked these pictures on purpose. They are exposed perfectly and represent conditions accurately. Don't you notice that none of them is sharp?

This has been my biggest concern. I am constantly aware of depth of field and focus points. Look again please.

Thanks

12-20-2009, 01:20 AM   #20
Nubi

Do you focus manually? What focusing mode do you use if AF is used?

Last edited by Nubi; 12-20-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Because I focus manually. I don't need no stinking AF.
12-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Focus Mode Used

Hello Nubi,

I use single focus mode. Using manual focus produces the same results.
12-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I picked these pictures on purpose. They are exposed perfectly and represent conditions accurately. Don't you notice that none of them is sharp?
At the posted size? No. And in any event, given that we don't know where you focused, how could we begin to judge even given a link to a full size image?

The first, BTW, was shot at f/22. Diffraction is going to kill you there; no surprise if it isn't particularly sharp. Also, these are all taken with the kit lens as far as I can tell. It's a good lens for what it is, but if you're expecting prime-quality shaprness in 100% crops, that's just not reasonable. I assume, BTW, you used a hood and have no filters that could be mucking with your image quality...

12-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foster Quote
You're lucky they're offering you a discount after you foolishly let your warranty expire.

Quit whining.
+++++100.....
12-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #24
Nubi

Hello Nubi,

I use single focus mode. Using manual focus produces the same results.
Hm..... If manual focusing yields the same result, then is it really the camera???

Is the viewfinder adjusted to your visual acuity???
12-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
End of story:

Thank you all for your comments, but by me posting some pictures that don't have the data necessary to see what I see really has no purpose. If some think that soft focus is a normal result of using the kit lenses than I made a mistake buying those lenses. Pentax (getting back to my initial post concerning Pentax Repair Service [CHRIS]) says my camera's auto focusing mechanism is out of adjustment, so either they lie or agree with my opinion.

I originally asked what others would do in my situation. I did not complain or whine as two other forum members have posted. Saying I was whining without reading my original post and giving their opinion was not positive in any way.

To complete this story, Pentax sent me a revised estimate for more than what the corporate person had told me on the phone. When I asked about that, I got a convoluted answer, which turned me off. Remember, I accept responsibility for my situation and when I get the camera back, I will deal with it.

Merry Christmas all.
12-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #26
Inactive Account

If you get the same results on manual focus. Then it doesn't have anything to do with the AF function.
Double check the diopter setting on the VF. Then shoot a few shots off of a tripod.
12-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
If you get the same results on manual focus. Then it doesn't have anything to do with the AF function.
Double check the diopter setting on the VF. Then shoot a few shots off of a tripod.
Absolutely agree with wildlife, shoot a few off a tripod, no matter how cheap a tripod.

tripods take away a lot of errors in taking a picture, over-reliance on SR, not waiting till SR is spooled up, etc. not using the shutter thumbrule for longer FL, etc. If it works off a tripod, one pretty much knows its technique thats the problem.

Let's lighten up on folks that don't adhere to the warranty. There are folks out there that are excessively shy, that find it difficult or impossible to return stuff. I had 2 uncles like that, never returned anything. With some its just laziness, but with others, its high anxiety. If you know someone like that in your local area, its far more help to go over to their place and get it shipped than lecture them.

Last edited by philbaum; 12-24-2009 at 10:46 AM.
12-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Let's lighten up on folks that don't adhere to the warranty. There are folks out there that are excessively shy, that find it difficult or impossible to return stuff. I had 2 uncles like that, never returned anything. With some its just laziness, but with others, its high anxiety. If you know someone like that in your local area, its far more help to go over to their place and get it shipped than lecture them.
Also if you don't know much about the technical aspects of photography, it is easy to question your belief that the equipment isn't functioning properly, especially when you are talking to people who DO know lots.
12-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If some think that soft focus is a normal result of using the kit lenses
No one said that. You still haven't posted images that demonstrate the problem, so it's hard to say if there is a problem or not or where the problem might be, if there in fact is one.
12-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No one said that. You still haven't posted images that demonstrate the problem, so it's hard to say if there is a problem or not or where the problem might be, if there in fact is one.
sorry but did you even read where the OP indicated that the CHRIS folks reported there IS an issue with the AF? Geeze not everyone is snowbound with nothing else to do but post...or bored beyond belief with our dreary 74°F weather like me...hehehehe...but really, give the guy a break already. I mean from reading it does not appear he even has the camera for any further testing.

Or is this going to devolve into another "aperture equivalence" thing? snickersnicker ...smile and laugh, this is not a forced march and is supposed to be for FUN not to argue or badger.