Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metering on the K7

HI all

quick question about metering on the K7.

Setting the camera to M mode and spot metering, usually you would point at what you want to meter press the green button - and voila you have the correct settings right??

So in a reasonably dark room, i did this but found the resulting shot (not using flash at all) was way to dark, which means the metering wasnt correct......am i doing something wrong here??

Also with a lens cap in place i would expect that pressing the green button should result in an exposure time of maximum (which should be 30s?) but what i find is that the exposure time set to something like 3s - again can anyone indicate what i may be doing wrong here?

Adrian

12-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by milesy Quote
HI all

quick question about metering on the K7.

Setting the camera to M mode and spot metering, usually you would point at what you want to meter press the green button - and voila you have the correct settings right??

So in a reasonably dark room, i did this but found the resulting shot (not using flash at all) was way to dark, which means the metering wasnt correct......am i doing something wrong here??

Also with a lens cap in place i would expect that pressing the green button should result in an exposure time of maximum (which should be 30s?) but what i find is that the exposure time set to something like 3s - again can anyone indicate what i may be doing wrong here?

Adrian
The spot meter wants to make everything ~18% gray.
Google it to find out what colour that is.
If the spot you are metering is brighter than 18% gray, it will be under exposed. If it is darker, it will be over exposed.
This presumes that the meter is colour blind, which it may, or may not be.
The meter reads off the focusing screen, so light entering through the viewfinder can affect readings.
Also, the meter only works within a certain range of brightness. Once you get outside that range, it will no longer work accurately.
You might want to do a web search for spot metering tutorials. I bet DPReview or some such has a bunch of good ones.
12-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It depends what you mean with "correct settings".
If it is a white wall, then it will come out as medium grey.
If it is a black wall, then it will come out as medium grey.
You have to understand the colour and brightness of your subject and compensate for subjects that are brighter or darker than medium grey. Check out Ansel Adam's zone system to get an idea about creative use of the spot meter. There should be books on this topic at the library.
12-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There are lower limits for how much light you need in order for the meter to work. Shooting with the lens cap off is *way( below this limit; that won't work. Shooting in a completely dark room is just as bad. There's got to be at least *some* light.

12-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for your replies.

now just to get it clear in my head i would have assumed that with the camera set to spot metering (and camera set to manual) that if i point to something say someones face or similar and then press the green button the camera should have set the speed and aperture (dependant on settings) so that the line of the meter was at 0 (so mid point)

sometimes i find though that the meter sits say 2 lines to the left (to the darker side) of the midpoint.....can you help explain this??
12-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for your replies.

now just to get it clear in my head i would have assumed that with the camera set to spot metering (and camera set to manual) that if i point to something say someones face or similar and then press the green button the camera should have set the speed and aperture (dependant on settings) so that the line of the meter was at 0 (so mid point)
This is correct...assuming you are using a F, FA, DA or DFA lens. Older lenses work differently.

sometimes i find though that the meter sits say 2 lines to the left (to the darker side) of the midpoint.....can you help explain this??
This happens when the meter reading (light to the meter) changes at some time after you made pressed the green button. Say you made a spot reading, then moved the subject to the side of center. Your previous reading is still good. The meter is just pointed at something new. Go ahead and take the picture. Your subject will still be properly exposed. This is one of the nice things about M mode.

I would suggest spending some time with the camera using these different modes and seeing what works for you and what does not. That is one of the nice things about digital. You don't have to wait to learn.

Steve
12-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Steve

when you say older lenses work differently - how so?? again i would assume that the older lens you set the aperture and when you press the green button it takes a reading by opening the shutter (which i am sure it does) but the end result should still be the same - that is the line at the midpoint?
12-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

when you say older lenses work differently - how so?? again i would assume that the older lens you set the aperture and when you press the green button it takes a reading by opening the shutter (which i am sure it does) but the end result should still be the same - that is the line at the midpoint?
Not by opening the shutter but by stopping down the lens - and that's the part that's different, as no stop down is required with modern lenses (eg, all digital lenses, all AF film lenses, and all "A" series manual focus lenses - basically everything made over the last two decades or so). So how it works internally is different, but the process is the same, and the end result is the same as well, although multi-segment metering doesn't work with the old lenses either - it switches to center.

12-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yep i guess thats what i meant ....thanks for the clarifiation
08-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
metering in K-x

After one month using the K-x , i still have difficulties taking good photo with it,
Previousely used Nikon D40, Canon 1000D, 40D .
Especially the "metering " in K-x , it is totally different from Nikon and Canon.
In Nikon, whenever the metering changed in one mode will not effect the others, but, In Pentax K-x , it like this :

The default setting of "metering " in my kx is "Multi segment metering" for all modes : P, M,Av , Tv, Sv, Auto Pict .

Whenever i change the Multi segment to spot metering in "P" mode, the camera's automatically change other modes M, Av , Tv, Sv SCN, metering to " Spot metering ".

It this normal ? could you let me know is your camera react the same ?

Maybe some of you user can tell me , it this normal or my K-x having trouble?

Thanks first !
08-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by realguard Quote
After one month using the K-x , i still have difficulties taking good photo with it,
Previousely used Nikon D40, Canon 1000D, 40D .
Especially the "metering " in K-x , it is totally different from Nikon and Canon.
In Nikon, whenever the metering changed in one mode will not effect the others, but, In Pentax K-x , it like this :

The default setting of "metering " in my kx is "Multi segment metering" for all modes : P, M,Av , Tv, Sv, Auto Pict .

Whenever i change the Multi segment to spot metering in "P" mode, the camera's automatically change other modes M, Av , Tv, Sv SCN, metering to " Spot metering ".

Maybe some of you user can tell me , it this normal or my K-x having trouble?

Thanks first !
I don't own the K-x, but on my K-7 the spot/centre/multi is located on a dial...so whatever you have it set for will affect whatever shooting mode you are shooting in.

c[_]
08-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

I seem to recall that the Canon 40D works the same way; metering mode (matrix/center/spot) is set independent of exposure mode.
08-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by realguard Quote

Every camera I have ever owned (all Pentax cameras) work this way. I'd find it highly surprising and incredibly annoying to find a camera that worked otherwise.