Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Is this Viv-1 70-210mm problematic?

I just picked-up a (Komine) Vivitar-1 70-210 lens recently and I noticed something about it that has me questioning if it's in need of adjustement or not.

The question I have is whether or not it is common for the focus ring to have a bit of play in it?
When I hold the lens, it does feel fine(smooth etc), however if I handle it by the focus grip(ring), I can move it ever so slightly side to side and a little in the rotation also(slight play). So all in all the ring has a little play in it.

Is this common for these types of lens?
I'm wondering if this isn't part of the way the lens is made(trombone style).

12-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I just picked-up a (Komine) Vivitar-1 70-210 lens recently and I noticed something about it that has me questioning if it's in need of adjustement or not.

The question I have is whether or not it is common for the focus ring to have a bit of play in it?
When I hold the lens, it does feel fine(smooth etc), however if I handle it by the focus grip(ring), I can move it ever so slightly side to side and a little in the rotation also(slight play). So all in all the ring has a little play in it.

Is this common for these types of lens?
I'm wondering if this isn't part of the way the lens is made(trombone style).
I too recently picked up the Vivitar Series 1 Komine 70-210mm, and I too noticed the slight (very slight) side-to-side movement of the focus ring. It seems to pivot around the middle. But the lens is in new condition, and it performs beautifully, so I haven't been concerned. I don't notice any rotational play at all. My just-sold Version 1 (Kiron) didn't have that play, but I do prefer the Komine.
(this thread probably should be in Pentax SLR Lens Discussion forum?)
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
(this thread probably should be in Pentax SLR Lens Discussion forum?)
lol - It was when I made it.
Looks like it was moved

On the issue of the lens, it is great to have your oppinion as well!
I too was a little worried about this, but as you say, the lens has pretty damned good in terms of IQ and the bokeh turns out to be pretty darned smooth too! Especially when you close-in on subjects(lots of fun).

Though I was a tad(just a bit) disappointed with the macro side of things. Not that it's not useful to close-in on subjects, at full extension(or should we say "retraction 210mm) but I does leave me wanting a little more in terms of magnification if there is such a thing.

Having said that it certainly is a solid lens. And if I had only one thing to complain about, it would be the awkwardness that gravity play's on the focal settings of the lens when it is oriented up or down. Which tends to get a little overbearing sometimes. Whatever the case, it's definitely a monopod type of lens