Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

New DSLR K-x troubles

Hi guys.

I turn to you in my time of troubles!

Finally decided what DSLR to go for, it's the K-x.

Arrived in the post today. Happy as Larry.

However, I cannot get the camera to take pictures! I've followed the manual. When I attached a lense, the camera will not take a picture. There is no shutter action at all. Removing the lense, the shutter works.

I cannot fathom it out. It should really work right out of the box.

Gutted to say the least.

Any ideas/guidence please would be greatly appreciated, before I think about sending it back

12-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
More details pls. Which lens are you using?
12-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Double check that the batteries are installed in the correct order... it's a different sequence than my K200D, so I still put one of them in backwards from time to time.
12-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Does the lens try to focus? Does it appear to succeed? Does the green hexgon focus confirmation indicator appea rin the viewfinder? What exposure mode are you in on the main dial?

12-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Based on what you said (unable to take a shot w/ lens mounted, but able to take a shot when lens isn't mounted), my initial guess would be that you're using a lens that has an aperture ring.

Check the info screen. If the info screen is flashing "F--", then you are probably using a lens with an aperture ring. Either set the aperture to the 'A' position, or set Custom option 22 ("Using Aperture Ring") to Permitted. This is found in the menu under page 4 of the C tab.

If that does not fix your problem, please provide some additional details, such as lens causing the issue, whether AF works, whether you've tried any other lenses, etc.

Please refer to the Pentax Beginner's Q&A section for additional tips & tricks: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/

- Jason
12-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Great guess. I'd just add if that is the problem, and the lens doesn't have an "A" position on the ring, then check out the sticky thread at the top of the Beginner's forum for compelte instructions on using manual lenses on a Pentax DSLR - there's more to it than just setting that custom option.
12-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ok, it is clear what the camera does not do.
However, can you please describe what it does do?
- Does life view work?
- Does it auto focus?
- Can you enter the menu screens?
- What does the status display tell you?
- Can you format the SD card?
-

= Bert
12-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #8

if you ar eusing kit lens... was the lens put on correctly? did you hear it snap into place? If you are using a manual lens, ensure that the aperture "F---" number is not flashing (aka config the aperture ring option).

Now, when you try to take a picture half pressing the shutter button, does the lens motor move at all in trying to focus??

You need to provide more details...