Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
And ISO 100, is that a MUST have, or it is just something nice to have? Would a regular person who is NOT a pro need such option?
A regular person who is not a pro or doesn't know from extensive experience exactly what their needs are would have no reason to care about *any* of the differences between *any* DSLR on the market - except maybe if it has video or not, and whether it has stabilization or not. You're continuing to obsess over details that just don't matter.

But FWIW, the K-x does have ISO 100, or at at least, a perfectly usable emulation thereof.

12-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This really is getting out of hand. get the K-7, it's 10 times the camera the kx is, this whole differenc ein IQ is being blown way out of proportion.
That is about the most subjective objective statement I have read in a good while.

(yes I'm just messing with you!)
12-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Trust me, the absence of a top LCD on the K-x is no big deal. I rarely find myself missing it. And in the hand the K-x is not at plasticky. At least the black one isn't - the coloured ones may feel different.
I agree on these points entirely, and I have the navy blue K-x.

I've had the K100D, the K20D, and the K-7 as well. The K-x easily feels more solid to me than the K100D. The handling is excellent and the IQ is near-unbelievable.

But really, if you need the K-7's features, the correct answer is to get both. I have both and I wouldn't have it either way.
12-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-7 and I almost never look at the top LCD. I agree with what Marc has to say, on your previous thread you stated that this is going to be your first DSLR; now you're just treading over what you might not even need or use. You just want the best of the best and yet at the same time it may not even be necessary. You just want something that doesn't even exist therefore you're asking us a bunch of questions until we tell you what you want to hear so you can tell yourself that you are getting the best of the best, which is at the same time not crazy, it is instead ridiculous to the point of insanity. Not going to happen.

The D300 from Nikon costs more than the D5000, now the D5000 boasts better high ISO IQ and is twice as cheap compared to the D300s. Yet people still prefer the D300s over the D5000, why? Because of the build and professional features that are necessary to them. You can't get the best of the best, even Nikon can't get the best of their APS-C, the D300s.

If you want the build of a K-7 but with great high ISO like the K-x, then you might as well go for the Canon 50D which has features and costs the same of that of the K-7. Only the 50D is without WR but boasts magnesium alloy for that build feel, with great high ISO output not as good as K-x, but still pretty damn good.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.
12-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #20

Original Poster
I'm looking to sign up with zenfolio, can someone send me your referral program code, so we both can get $5.00 off.

Thanks.

Last edited by pakuchn; 12-17-2009 at 11:31 AM.
12-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

left field there.
12-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #22

I am choosing to hibernate and wait for Pentax to put the better Kx sensor in to a K7 seal/ feature body. For the astrophotography I would like to do(without spending gigabucks on an SBIG) I need good sealing, high ISO performance and the capability of going to minus 10 C .Anyone know a good comfortable cave for me to hibernate in for the wait ?

12-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fisheye freak Quote
I am choosing to hibernate and wait for Pentax to put the better Kx sensor in to a K7 seal/ feature body. For the astrophotography I would like to do(without spending gigabucks on an SBIG) I need good sealing, high ISO performance and the capability of going to minus 10 C .Anyone know a good comfortable cave for me to hibernate in for the wait ?

I wouldn't say better sensor-I would say different. I would never rate the iso200 IQ of my K-x better than the IQ produced at low iso (say up to 800) by my K200D. I would say the k200D is much better. I bought the K-x to have a high iso camera and also waiting for the next Pentax camera so the K7 price will eventually drop and then I can have a real good iso100 platform with all those features.

There are lot's of discussions about this around the net. This is quite interesting:

Re: Wow! K-x ISO 3200 & 4500 photos.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Andras
12-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #24
Inactive Account

My question is...its only gonna take so good a picture as your cabable of, so why the problem?

Get the less expensive one.