Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Ohh what a pain

So, I been reading and reading all about K-7 and K-x. I was able to touch them both, I love the feel of the K-7. I also understand what everyone is saying about the K-7 and K-x quality of images. My question is, what other Pentax is compared to K-x?

12-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It seems that we did give you all the available information and if not, more than enough that's needed for you to decide which one you want. Now for which Pentax is compared to the K-x? Well since you are probably asking of IQ. I believe the K100D super is also superb in high ISO IQ and better than most and if not all Pentax DSLR's in high ISO besides the K-x. (Just hope you don't post a thread about K100D Super vs K-7 or K100D Super vs K-x now).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/844694-post60.html
12-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.

Why cant there be a camera that is like K-7 and K-x in one body?
:-)

That would make everything easy.
12-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Thanks.

Well there's a lot of reasons, and from your previous thread, you might want to read these.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/844702-post62.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/843732-post35.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/843767-post41.html

12-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks.

Just buy both. Problem solved.
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

pakuchn... You're suffering from a classic case of paralysis after doing too much online research and getting caught up in specifications and pixel-peeping.

Two truths you must accept: 1) Currently, Pentax does not offer a camera combining the best of both the K-7 and the K-x. 2) Either camera works just fine in the real world - with the K-7 offering more features, weather resistance and (perhaps) slightly better IQ at 100 ISO... and the K-x offering better performance at high ISOs, smaller size, lighter weight and lower price.

You need to relax, step back and take a few days away from the subject. Decompress and then make your decision. If the paralysis doesn't lift, then accept a third truth: Your inaction is, in itself, a decision. If you can't decide in another week after taking a break from trying to decide, then I suggest you wait for the K-8.
12-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you really want the best of both words - simple - wait for the next DSLR.

If you can't wait, buy one now, and use as a backup or sell when the next DSLR comes out.

K-x would probably make a better backup (small, lightweight, less pricey), but K-7 will probably resell better.

If you don't have a DSLR or a camera right now, I recommend buying a cheap one and playing around with it to learn. If you're like me, you can get caught up in the specs and research only to realize you suck at taking pictures!

12-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you wait for the next DSLR, you'll only wait for the next one after that. There are no perfect DSLR that's all out better, there will always be a downside to the camera alongside with it's positives. Everything in this world is full of trade-offs and if you can't decide on which trade-offs is better for you then you're going to be stuck forever.

A more expensive Corvette has more horsepower and a much larger engine than the GT-R, but the GT-R is a straight-six twin-turbo'd with all-wheel drive. Now with the Corvette having a larger engine, it will accelerate faster at higher RPM's at top speeds, while the GT-R will accelerate faster at lower-speeds. The GT-R will kick off much faster during launch but eventually if they keep going straight, the Corvette will catch up and kill it. Because the GT-R is AWD and twin-turbo'd it will accelerate much faster in and out of the corner, but at the same time the Corvette will eventually catch-up when they are not slowing down for the corners. See here there is a trade-off between the two cars, they are both good for completely different reasons. While the GT-R is good for launching, the Corvette has the upper-hand at higher speeds.

There are no perfect car, even the Ferrari 599 isn't perfect. Even the Ferrari F2008 Formula 1 car isn't perfect. Just like the cameras, there are no perfect camera. You can't ask Honda "Why don't you put that Turbo'd k23 engine from the Acura RDX in a Honda CRX?"
12-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
If you wait for the next DSLR, you'll only wait for the next one after that.
I do think that if you are in the sub $2000 bracket for a dSLR, and looking for a pentax, now is one of those rare moments in time that it IS worth it to hold off for the next model.

New ferrari may have a 10% increase in horsepower over the previous, but a new pentax may have a 50% improvement in high ISO IQ.
12-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pakuchn, I know how you feel. I go through this as well when buying audio equipment and photo equipment. It boils down to cost versus quality/options, at least for me. The question is usually not if I can afford it but if I can justify the extra costs for those options/quality. In most cases the answer is no.

Be honest with yourself; you have not given one good reason why you want a K7 (if I remember the other thread correctly) and a K7 + 18-55 + flash will blow your complete budget.
The same outfit for a KX will cost you around US$850 (650 kit + 200 flash) which leaves extra money that, when you find the need for it, can go towards :
wide angle lens for landscape (hiking) and buildings (trips to Europe)
fast prime; maybe not fully covering the cost depending on the model, but very beneficial for real low-light
telelens (you have not indicated a need for that)
better flash and/or flash accesories
other accessories (good batteries, decent charger, ...)
etc etc

Oh ja, or to a nice present for you wife/kid whatever
12-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
OK, I'm taking two weeks off.

See you all after holidays and I'm going to get some wine to relax me from all this research.
12-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I'm taking two weeks off.

See you all after holidays and I'm going to get some wine to relax me from all this research.
This happens to everyone. Days before I got the K10D, I was sure it was going to be the canon, or was it the Nikon....oh well!, it's always like this. You are doing the right thing in doing your homework, now take the time and then just pull the trigger. It get's much easier after the decision. At least it did for me...at least you've narrowed it down to the Pentax, I think you will be fine.

Post the pictures with your new camera in january...good luck!
12-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
Let me be honest with you. I really believe that K-x is a really good camera. I wish it had a top LCD and I wish it didnt see so plasticy.

And ISO 100, is that a MUST have, or it is just something nice to have? Would a regular person who is NOT a pro need such option?
12-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Let me be honest with you. I really believe that K-x is a really good camera. I wish it had a top LCD and I wish it didnt see so plasticy.

And ISO 100, is that a MUST have, or it is just something nice to have? Would a regular person who is NOT a pro need such option?
Trust me, the absence of a top LCD on the K-x is no big deal. I rarely find myself missing it. And in the hand the K-x is not at plasticky. At least the black one isn't - the coloured ones may feel different.

And ISO 100? Remember the issue is the results, not the number. At the base K-x ISO of 200 you get the full resolution and dynamic range the camera can give you. If you like you can indeed take the number down to 100 on the K-x, but you don't gain anything.
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So, I been reading and reading all about K-7 and K-x. I was able to touch them both, I love the feel of the K-7. I also understand what everyone is saying about the K-7 and K-x quality of images. My question is, what other Pentax is compared to K-x?
This really is getting out of hand. get the K-7, it's 10 times the camera the kx is, this whole differenc ein IQ is being blown way out of proportion.