Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

K20 body problem?

While using my K20 I noticed that when I press on the Fn button or anywhere near the Shake reduction on/off area that the body of my k20 is sort of moving in ever so slightly. I noticed this because there is an actual sound as I press in this lower, bottom right portion of the camera. I contacted Pentax and they said to send it in for evaluation because it should not do this. I can actually see the case being pushed inward if I look closely enough. Is this an over reaction on my part. Can anyone confirm that their camera does this also? I would think this may effect the seals in some way. I still have the extended warranty so it should be covered

Thanks in advance

12-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Mine is rock solid in that area, the only thing that moves is the Fn button. I'd say the fact that Pentax recommended you send it in indicates there's a problem with your camera. Hopefully you won't be without it for too long. Good Luck!
12-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Mine started doing that as well. I bought my K20D in Feb 09 it was rock solid in that area as well. One day turning the AF dial I noticed it made a sound, and I found as you if I push hard around the Fn button area it creaks and bends in slightly, a firm push though. I would say its the K20D settling in as I looked at the service manual there is nothing that could happen, If you notice its the weakest area of the K20D because if you remove all the buttons and dials there is very little plastic there and its a thin area of Polycarbonate which can bend a lot no problem, there are 3 metal plates that forms a flat frame that pushes on the buttons, weather sealing, and the LCD; they are pressed up against the back plastic plate. So... I say normal and not dangerous its just the K20D breaking in I hope?

OK fixed mine for real. Its the back plate rubbing against the bottom plate in that corner when you push it in; take a real bright light and have a look. The bottom plate is screwed into the bottom stainless steal frame and only one screw goes into the back plate, so there is plenty of room for very small movement. I made mine stop squeaking by loosening and re-tightening a couple screws on the bottom plate, the cure was to loosen a couple push the back plate in and tighten them, that stopped the noise and slight movement. Not much to worry about. But it was the back corner screw and the screw right below the Fn/SR buttons back them out push in the back of your K20D a bit and tighten them, see if it works for you. If you want detailed instructions email me and I will provide a pic and more info. If you want to send it in, that the safest. Or I still say its nothing to worry about because if you don't push it there is nothing out of place and I don't think thats enough movement of the wide bottom seals to be compromised but hay don't go by what I think...

Last edited by jamesm007; 12-18-2009 at 12:18 AM.
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Ben

Original Poster
Wow!

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm going to worry about it.