Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Very Disturbing problem with K-x today, pics dissappeared from memory card.

Took several photos today at my daughter's school Christmas party.
I reviewed them several times in camera, all looked ok. All photos were on the memory card.

I get home and plug the Sandisk Extreme III 8gb card into my card reader and nothing, not event the date folder was there, two previous date folders were there but not the one for today. I plug it back in the camera, "no image".

This sucks HUGE.... anyone have this happen before? I lost all those pics, all the memories, my wife is VERY upset about it.

I am scanning it with Active Undelete utility software to try and recover them, hopefully it will find them but I hope this is not a permanent problem. I use the best memory cards so this wont happen!!!

12-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you format the card before you used it? These card failures are common. You could still recover the images.

A bit of search on Google could help. Here is one I just searched up for you. Very similar to the case you are having. Help Needed - Recovering Data From SD card - WnSoft Forums

Make sure you don't format it until you recover the pictures, otherwise the pictures will permanently be deleted from the memory card.

EDIT: Didn't see the last paragraph, maybe you could try another recovery program.
12-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope you find them!

I haven't had this problem with any of my SD cards - I regularly use a Sandisk Extreme III 4 GB and 2 GB without problems on a K-x, K2000, and K10D.

Usually when this happens it is a memory card problem but it sounds like the card has been working for previous cameras?

To ensure a SD card works fine with a camera, I usually format the card with the camera.
12-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Took several photos today at my daughter's school Christmas party.
I reviewed them several times in camera, all looked ok. All photos were on the memory card.

I get home and plug the Sandisk Extreme III 8gb card into my card reader and nothing, not event the date folder was there, two previous date folders were there but not the one for today. I plug it back in the camera, "no image".

This sucks HUGE.... anyone have this happen before? I lost all those pics, all the memories, my wife is VERY upset about it.

I am scanning it with Active Undelete utility software to try and recover them, hopefully it will find them but I hope this is not a permanent problem. I use the best memory cards so this wont happen!!!
This may be a stupid question but, will your card reader read a high Capacity card? I don't think that mine will read anything larger than 2 gig.

12-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Only three options:

(1) Operator error - you accidentally deleted the image folder after reviewing your pictures, or renamed the original folder, or moved the original images and they are there but not in their original location;

(2) Card error - after working OK initially, the card became corrupt somehow;

(3) Card reader error - either failing to read the card or corrupting the card.

I must say I suspect (1) or (3). After all, you did say the images were successfully there to begin with, so the camera did write them to the card at some point.
12-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I successfully recovered all the files that had ever been deleted from that memory card.
There were 89 files from today's shoot, the last 15 or so were corrupt.
That is why the folder did not show, the FAT table could not read the folder due to the few corrupt files.

The corrupt files were strange, you could see ghost images in them that were from previous shots.

I took a few test shots, they were ok.... *shrug*
12-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I successfully recovered all the files that had ever been deleted from that memory card.
There were 89 files from today's shoot, the last 15 or so were corrupt.
That is why the folder did not show, the FAT table could not read the folder due to the few corrupt files.
The corrupt files were strange, you could see ghost images in them that were from previous shots.
I took a few test shots, they were ok.... *shrug*
That would make me distrust that SD(HC) card -
even if it is an expensive Sandisk -
might try and see if Sandisk will replace it - they have a good reputation -
and this sort of thing should not happen to their top of the line SD cards.

I had some corrupted photo files -
and eventually tracked it down to to the SD card itself -
apparently the casing was slightly cracked and therefore the two halves were flimsily held together - wouldn't have noticed except for flexing the SD slightly made clicking sounds - so looking at it more closely I realized the two halves of the casing were starting to separate.

What this did was to make the Write-Lock sliding switch loose, so that it may have slid to an in-determinant state in the camera causing those corrupted files.

Once I realized what was going on - I easily glued the casing back together so that there was no flex or separation, and the Write-Lock slider stays in place.

I used MjM Photo Recovery (freeware) and managed to salvage those files.
12-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You left out another option... Camera error.... but I hope NOT!!!

But who knows, maybe it is the card.... I will watch it and see.... I will use a different card for serious work and test this one further.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Only three options:

(1) Operator error - you accidentally deleted the image folder after reviewing your pictures, or renamed the original folder, or moved the original images and they are there but not in their original location;

(2) Card error - after working OK initially, the card became corrupt somehow;

(3) Card reader error - either failing to read the card or corrupting the card.

I must say I suspect (1) or (3). After all, you did say the images were successfully there to begin with, so the camera did write them to the card at some point.

12-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #9

The computer could have easily caused this. Card reader/software could have just goofed up the partition tables.. Windows for one likes to screw up removable drives if not removed properly.
12-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You left out another option... Camera error.... but I hope NOT!!!
I thought about that as option (4), but it seemed too unlikely.

The SDHC card is like a CDRW disk or floppy disk or memory stick. How often is the actual computer to blame for problems with reading or writing data off a CDRW or floppy disk or memory stick? These issues usually spring from a problem with the media that impacts the ability of the computer to read from it or write to it, or a problem with the way the media was plugged into or removed from the computer by the operator. I suspect the same applies to cameras that use SDHC cards.

Unless your K-x has a virus... Some of those can cause serious FAT corruption on removable media.

Which also brings to mind another issue - did you originally format the card using the K-x? If the card was formatted and used extensively on another camera the filesystem may already have become slightly corrupted, or the disk may already have stuff like a few bad sectors which the file system needs to be able to write around, but can't, or it may have simply been formatted to use a filesystem that is slightly incompatible with the FAT32 the K-x needs. Once your files are all recovered and off the disk, format the card again with the K-x.

The only likely case where the camera may be to blame might be if there were power supply issues that meant it was not operating normally when it needed to read or write to the card - eg the battery voltage was lumpy and dipped below a threshold at the time the camera was doing something with the card, like a write, and so the camera either lost the data mid-transfer or wrote the data the wrong way or something. This would be the equivalent issue of someone pulling the plug on their computer midway through burning a CDROM. That could be another possibility I guess. Keep your batteries fresh!

Last edited by rawr; 12-16-2009 at 09:01 PM.
04-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had the same thing exact thing happen on my K-x and Asus 16GB SDHC. I used Photo Rescue Advanced to recover my RAWs. I was able to recover images I took in March of last year and they were formated over several times.
04-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
This may be a stupid question but, will your card reader read a high Capacity card? I don't think that mine will read anything larger than 2 gig.
I second that. The same thing happened with my wife's K-X just last week. She is using a trusted Kingston SDHC 8MB card that never caused any problems before. However, she was trying to upload the content to the computer using a non-SDHC "approved" reader and most the pictures were corrupted or missing altogether. I tried later with my Lexar SDHC reader and everything was fine.

xGene
04-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Forum Member

Dude, you necroposted a thread that was dead almost 5 months ago.....