Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-7 level meter observation and questions

Hi all, I have been pondering about the electronic level in the K-7.

Does it measure the level of the ground you are currently on, or use some other reference? - Let me elaborate, say your K-7 stands on a box that's placed on flat gorund (we'll assume the ground is absolutely level for now). And the box itself sunks to one side.

Does the K-7 try to measure/ auto correct to the ground below the box? Or the box?

I took some test shots, and if the auto level correction is on, sometimes the result puzzles me - eg if I take picture of the sea on the horizon (in theory the sea is 'flat') from my view point, and keep the level meter indicator dead center - the camera seem to produce shots where the sea is tilted???

Broken level meter or am I not getting this right?

I need to get a bubble level or something to verify my findings.

12-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Level should be perpendicular to the direction of gravity. Since water line will almost always be perpendicular to the direction of gravity, if your level is level and the water line is crooked, either (a) the level requires recalibration, or (b) your camera is not level in the other axis (the "pitch") AND your lens displays some kind of barrel distortion.
12-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Okay I had it figured out - with a bubble level test I can confirm the level correction works pretty well on my K-7 neat.
12-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remember the auto level can "only" correct 1 degree.