Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #1

Old Nikkor Lenses on Pentax K7???? Is it possible?

Hello

I have 2 film SLRs, the Nikon F301 and the Pentax Asahi ME. Bought by my father at around 1985-1988. The Nikon has two lenses the AF NIKKOR 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 and the NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8, while the Pentax is fitted with the smc PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm, all of them in pretty good shape.

I have now this question.. If I buy a new DSLR (I'm thinking of the K-7) can I use these lenses or not? Should i get a modificatin or sth like that? Anyway i have read somewhere that i could use them all with the Pentax K series without any modification. is this true? And if not, do these lenses fit to a new DSLR without any mods?
Thank you very much

12-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by le0n Quote
Hello

I have 2 film SLRs, the Nikon F301 and the Pentax Asahi ME. Bought by my father at around 1985-1988. The Nikon has two lenses the AF NIKKOR 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 and the NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8, while the Pentax is fitted with the smc PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm, all of them in pretty good shape.

I have now this question.. If I buy a new DSLR (I'm thinking of the K-7) can I use these lenses or not? Should i get a modificatin or sth like that? Anyway i have read somewhere that i could use them all with the Pentax K series without any modification. is this true? And if not, do these lenses fit to a new DSLR without any mods?
Thank you very much
the pentax lens will of course work in manual mode with the K7, but the nikon lenses will not obviously work without modification.

thhere is an adaptor that is optically corrected for the older (non AF) nikon lenses to pentax K mount, but you loose automatic aperture auto focus and it has a 1.25x magniication therefore you also loose 1/2 stop.

I am not sure what nikon bodies can use the two existing Nikon lenses, and the limits of functionality, Nikon only maintains full functionality of some lenses on the most expensive bodies, on most bodies you can't even meter.

I would suggest, before you decide on nikon or pentax for a DSLR, whether you can get a nikon body, with similar sensor resolution and ISO quality, at a price you are willing to payt that would use the two nikon lenses.

I would love to say go out and buy pentax, and I am a long time pentax user myself, but I can't say that an SMC-M 50mm F2 is a significant lens that would justify ditching the nikon lenses and switching to pentax.

If you had a collection of 4-5 pentax lenses then the answer would be different. I had 10 lenses from pentax film cameras when I bought my first DSLR, and the investment was just too good to walk away from pentax.
12-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Note that some Nikon lenses can mount, to a certain degree, natively on the Pentax K-mount. They won't lock into place, but they'll fit on and rotate and can be held in place. Some users here have done simple modifications to get them to lock into place as well.
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

in regard to what Nikon can use those lense effectively (so you get some form of metering other than 'stop-down') you need a Dnnn body (D100, D200, D300) or better (D40-D90 won't meter)

Nethier lens is worth factoring in decisions to buy a dSLR IMO. You like the K7, buy it and buy a Pentax 50mm to suit. Due to the 'crop factor' you'll want a 18-55ish zoomy for general purpose dituies.

12-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #5

You can get an adaptor on ebay to use nikon lenses on a PK body.They can get infinity focus.Obviously, autofocus and stop down metering will not work.Lenses without an aperture ring are a problem - a big problem.The corrector lens will have an adverse effect on the quality of image.Note,electronic sensors have a problem with light coming at an angle to them, film does not care.DSLR lenses DO work better on DSLR cameras because the rear nodal point is pushed away from the sensor plane. May be time to offload those old film lenses, despite their superior build quality.