Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ok so wtf?

I just got my K10D in the mail today and while its amazing, I can't get the light meter to work when using a manual lens. If I put a lens with contacts on it the meter works.

Also I thought this thing was supposed to ask me what focal length lens I was using if the lens was manual. Well it doesn't, and its really pissing me off.

The manual is the most useless owners manual I have ever read in my life. Hoping the experts here can make my transition from film to digital less painful.

Thanks all!

12-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it will only ask for focal length input if you have a lens with no contacts attached, AND SR turned on AND you are just turning the camera on (ie doesnt ask while the camera is on, just when you switch it on)

otherwise you will have to go into the menu to enter it (dont know where the FL entry is in K10D menus sorry)
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual assumes some background knowledge and can be hard to interpret.
Nevertheless, there are a few things you should know before getting accurate metering from M lenses (and their equivalents).

1. The K10D with standard viewfinder screen is not the most accurate for metering with manual lenses. It works, but may be off a little.

2. You must have the camera able to accept the use of a non-A lens: see here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59287-shooting-manua...x-dslrs-f.html

3. You must have the camera in M mode - in any other mode, the camera will shoot with the lens wide open, regardless of your exposure settings. In M mode, set your lens to the aperture you want, meter the lens by pressing the green button near the shutter release button, and fire away... this is also explained in detail in the following tutorial: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/32-can-i-use-k-m-len...ist-ds-dl.html

Hope this helps.
12-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I still don't get a meter reading on the top LCD like Im supposed to. I just tried everything that blog said to do and no dice.

I understand now why I don't get a meter reading in the viewfinder but my top LCD panel does NOT do what it says it does in the blog link I was given.

So now what? Sell all my lenses and get digital lenses?

This is freaking RIDICULOUS.

12-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Take it easy.
You may be missing something - or we're not quite getting all the story from you.
What do you mean by 'not getting a meter reading'?
The green button on M mode should stop-down meter the lens - i.e. you should hear a 'shick shick' sound once the green button's pressed indicating the lens is being stopped down to your selected aperture to allow the camera to meter.

Is it not doing that at all?
If it is, then rest assured, whatever the reading is on the LCD and viewfinder, that is the metered exposure values the camera has calculated. Then release the shutter on exactly the same scene that you metered the camera on and review the results.
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

By the way: If you want a constant meter reading on the top LCD and the viewfinder, you have to hold the stop-down button (the extra step on the ON/OFF button with a picture of an aperture on it)

Keep holding it as long as you want the cameras light meter to operate and for the lens to be stopped down.
12-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I find it strange that your camera is not asking for the focal length. When the camera does not recognize the lens it should automatically ask for focal length when you turn the camera on.

It even asks when there's no lens attached.

The only way i know of to avoid being asked this is keeping the camera on while changing lenses. (which you should avoid with digital cameras because the sensor sucks dust like a magnet when the camera is turned on)
12-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
I just got my K10D in the mail today and while its amazing, I can't get the light meter to work when using a manual lens. If I put a lens with contacts on it the meter works.

Also I thought this thing was supposed to ask me what focal length lens I was using if the lens was manual. Well it doesn't, and its really pissing me off.

The manual is the most useless owners manual I have ever read in my life. Hoping the experts here can make my transition from film to digital less painful.

Thanks all!
OK if your lens has no contacts and is fully manual all you will see in the top LCD or in the OVF is the shutter speed and F--, you won't see any +/- meter or anything like that, its normal. As stated above to see the meter you need to push the shutter on/off switch to the preview side to the right of the "ON" and hold it. You set your aperture ring (read the blog to allow your K10D to do this in the custom menu) and push the green button on top and the K10D sets the shutter speed. Thats it.

Now it should be accurate my one 50mm lens is but many are not, in that I mean if you set f8 on the ring and push the green button it may be too bright. You can still set the exposure, push the +/- exposure button in back and set it to where you want it, now push the green button again and you will see the shutter speed change. Now remember if you set it to +1 you have to remember to set it back as the only indication that you have that you have set the exposure either plus or minus is the little square box in the viewfinder or top LCD with the +/- in it, this mean you have it off 0.

To recap with your fully old school manual lens there is no active meter, the K10 or K20 meters the shutter speed for you when you push the green button.

12-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
pdo

LoL

12-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all!

Thanks everyone! I was getting really frustrated for a while because I couldn't figure anything out. I went back and read the manual a bunch and reviewed that blog and figured things out for the most part.

Really appreciate the help, and that link ya'll are awesome!

I did figure out the "green button" and I was wondering what that symbol on the on/off switch meant until I read things more carefully.

Its funny..seeing as how I spent a year learning how to use a digital camera for the Army..but since all I ever shoot is film in my free time I get super confused behind a digital. Still learning
12-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are the steps to do.

1. [Custom Settings] > [Preview Method] > [Optical Preview]
  2. [Custom Settings] > [Using Aperture Ring] > [Permitted]
  3. Select your preferred f/stop with the aperture ring
  4. Set the mode dial to M
  5. Hold the on/off switch over against the spring stop to display the meter scale.
  6. Use your middle finger (the longest one) to adjust the shutter speed with the front e-dial.
This is my preferred method, but when in a hurry, pressing the green button next to the on/off/preview switch will stop the lens down and set the camera's metered shutter speed.
12-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And for the record, there is a sticky thread at the top of the Beginner's forum that outlines the whole process of using manual lenses in great detail.