Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #1

k-x, something heavy moving inside, not shake reduction?

Okay, so I just got a pentax k-x and the first thing I noticed when I picked it up is that if I tilt it sideways it feels like something fairly heavy is rolling over inside. Maybe this is normal, but its certainly something I've never noticed in a camera before and I can't find anything about it online.

I haven't even turned the thing on, so I don't think it has anything to do with the shake reduction.. It feels more like something falling from one side of the camera to the other. I did order my camera from amazon, so I'm afraid it may have been damaged during shipping, but I would be happy to find out that i'm wrong and that its supposed to feel like that.. Anyone know?

12-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It is probably the shake reduction mechanism and your camera is most likely not broken.

The sensor is mounted on a metal plate that floats on magnets when the camera is turned on.

When the camera is off, the magnets will cease holding this plate in place.

Here is a link for how the Pentax' shake reduction works.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/SHAKE_REDUCTION_FACT_SHEET.pdf
12-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this is seriously THE MOST ASKED question from new Pentax users.

I know I am supposed to be kind to new members who just want help, but there must be a dozen people who have asked this question.

IT IS NORMAL. IT IS THE SR SYSTEM. CANIKON WISHES THAT HAD A CAMERA THAT HAD THE SAME KLUNK.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/66972-pentax-k7-clunk.html

Something moving in my GX20.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Pentax K10D Internal Shifting? - Steve's Digicams Forums

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/76510-newbie-k-7-q...n;-normal.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/70197-something-loose-new-k7.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/67497-does-your-k-7-rattle.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/66972-pentax-k7-clunk.html

Welcome to the forum.
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

you just got served!

12-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whats odd is that I've never even noticed what seemingly everyone else does instantly.....
12-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't worry, I thought mine was broken, too.
12-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #7

Freaked me out the first time I picked up mine to...

an don't worry bout the sour pusses.. :P

12-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Phew! thats a relief I was wondering the same thing
12-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DebLewis Quote
Freaked me out the first time I picked up mine to...

an don't worry bout the sour pusses.. :P
You get to answer the next 20.
12-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

don't knock IS/VR till you try it

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
this is seriously THE MOST ASKED question from new Pentax users.

I know I am supposed to be kind to new members who just want help, but there must be a dozen people who have asked this question.

IT IS NORMAL. IT IS THE SR SYSTEM. CANIKON WISHES THAT HAD A CAMERA THAT HAD THE SAME KLUNK.

Welcome to the forum.
Hey, I am a new k-x user. I got to try out my co-workers T1i yesterday. The kit lens IS system blows the pentax SR away any day of the week. I need to figure out how to post photos but, I was able to hand hold 5 secs for a foot stool under my desk in almost zero light and have the manufacture text come out perfect with no blur.

Don't read this as troll/flame against pentax. But, SR as far as my limited experience will NEVER EVER be able to handle that with me holding it.

I am not going to talk about advantages of in body SR. But, IS/VR has very very provable results even for a total noob like me.
12-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow, it sounds like Canon's IS system is built for you. Each IS system is better or worse depending on the person's shake characteristics.

I've used Canons and Nikons and have never been able to hand-hold a shot for over a couple seconds and have it come out without blur. In my experience it works about the same as with Pentax - while Pentax's SR does not work as well as IS/VR for me at super telephoto ranges, but of course has a number of advantages that are more important to me.

Maybe you should get a Canon!
12-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #12

Original Poster
thanks, good to know. If it is normal I'm sure there have been plenty of posts on it, but I had no idea what to search for. I wouldn't think to search 'clunk'... I was searching moving parts and stuff and only got results for moving photography and the shake reduction. Anyways, at least everything is fine.
12-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Wow, it sounds like Canon's IS system is built for you. Each IS system is better or worse depending on the person's shake characteristics.

I've used Canons and Nikons and have never been able to hand-hold a shot for over a couple seconds and have it come out without blur. In my experience it works about the same as with Pentax - while Pentax's SR does not work as well as IS/VR for me at super telephoto ranges, but of course has a number of advantages that are more important to me.

Maybe you should get a Canon!
As I already stated that I bought k-x and like it. I never hinted that I regret not going C/N brand. I just want to clarify to the previous poster who strongly suggesting that C/N brand wish they had SR that IS/VR is nothing to sneeze at neither.

pro/con of each is subjective.

Again, I really don't want to make this into C/K vs P. No, I went to k-x knowing that IS / VR would work out better for me. But, l like the small advantage of SR helping primes which no other brands can give me.

For me, having a little help is much better than no help in the lenses I like to tinker with.

btw, I read through your thread on making the M lenses meter via the solder/foil trick on the body. Did you actually do that on your k-x?

thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by slow2focus; 12-18-2009 at 12:24 PM.
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
Hey, I am a new k-x user. I got to try out my co-workers T1i yesterday. The kit lens IS system blows the pentax SR away any day of the week. I need to figure out how to post photos but, I was able to hand hold 5 secs for a foot stool under my desk in almost zero light and have the manufacture text come out perfect with no blur.

Don't read this as troll/flame against pentax. But, SR as far as my limited experience will NEVER EVER be able to handle that with me holding it.
I'd say you got one lucky shot. I think if you actually did a whole bunch of comparisons, you'd find the differences largely vanish. Certainly, that's what everyone reviewer who has ever done any sort of controlled test has found.

As for posting photos, one way is to click the "Attach Photos of Files" button below where you type your post. Another is to uplaod it somewhere else first (eg, Flickr) and then include the URL of the uplaoded image in the body of your message, surrounded by IMG tags.
12-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Thanks marc. I never scrolled that low on the page when posting. I have edit my post with pic. I ddin't remove exif. so, view as you like.

you may be right that it is a luck shot. But, 5 sec... that's still impressive regardless