Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #1

KX or K7..

I'm really at a toss up at what to get to replace my K10 - KX or K7. I primarily shoot with primes, DA50/70 and 35 in RAW and use Lightroom to archive and perform any post processing.

The dilemma I (and probably many others) are facing is the KX sensor is better in certain ways than K7s.

At the end of the day I would shoot more lower end ISOs (100-200), and even though KX apparently has excellent high ISO performance K7 is no slouch, especially shoot RAW.

And as far as I understand my preferred prime lens selection is well suited (more so than zooms) for the 14mp sensor since it has excellent resolving power and will compliment their image sharpness, and that the Samsung sensor is 'better' than the KX one in lower ISO ranges.

The recent apparent retirement of some DA lenses and reintroduction a DFA weather sealed 100mm has also sparked rumors of full frame.

There seems to be a lot of speculation on a K7 with different sensor, lets call it a K7 Super?

My options are to get KX and live with any shortcomings and see where Pentax goes in 2010, or get K7. My big question is, is the KX IQ in lower ISO range significantly worse than K10?

Any feedback is appreciated.

12-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've shot a roll of Fuji ISO 400 film a month ago and from that experience I learned to stop worrying and love the noise - even that of the K10D.
It is true that the K-x has less noise than the K-7 - I find this noticeable even from ISO800, but if I'm not shooting specifically to compare noise, I find it hardly matters in real life use (my use though - yours may be different).
So, given that these cameras are really very different and they weren't meant to compete against each other, it's really up to what you want in a camera. If noise is really horrible for you, go for the K-x; if it doesn't bother you and you want a real upgrade for the K10D right now (K20D was a partial upgrade) - then get the K-7. Both cameras will have much better noise performance than the K10D.
Some obvious pros and cons for both cameras:
K-x:
pros:
- better high iso performance
- includes K-7 features such as Live View, movie, HDR
- cheaper
cons:
- no AF confirmation in viewfinder
- less solid build coming from K10D
- lacks other higher end features
K-7:
pros:
- solid build
- smooth, silent, faster shutter
- feature packed
cons:
- expensive
12-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

if iso 800 is enough - I vote for k7.
but I've chosen k-X as I use 3200 often (I do not like flash.
I think k7 is overpriced it has to be just 200 bucks more expensive than kX or 200 cheaper than it is now...
12-18-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/80535-k-x-vs-k7-is...tml#post814862

12-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I've shot a roll of Fuji ISO 400 film a month ago and from that experience I learned to stop worrying and love the noise - even that of the K10D.
It is true that the K-x has less noise than the K-7 - I find this noticeable even from ISO800, but if I'm not shooting specifically to compare noise, I find it hardly matters in real life use (my use though - yours may be different).
So, given that these cameras are really very different and they weren't meant to compete against each other, it's really up to what you want in a camera. If noise is really horrible for you, go for the K-x; if it doesn't bother you and you want a real upgrade for the K10D right now (K20D was a partial upgrade) - then get the K-7. Both cameras will have much better noise performance than the K10D.
Some obvious pros and cons for both cameras:
K-x:
pros:
- better high iso performance
- includes K-7 features such as Live View, movie, HDR
- cheaper
cons:
- no AF confirmation in viewfinder
- less solid build coming from K10D
- lacks other higher end features
K-7:
pros:
- solid build
- smooth, silent, faster shutter
- feature packed
cons:
- expensive
That would be no AF focus point confirmation. It does have the green hex focus confirmation in the VF...
12-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #6

Don't forget the flash sync port on the K7.

I have a set of pretty nice studio flashes at my office that I've never been able to use with my K10D because it lacks a standard flash sync port.

When I finally get a K7 I'll be pretty excited about using it with that flash set.
12-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't see how you can go K10 to Kx and remain sane as you're going to lose so much control.
12-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I don't see how you can go K10 to Kx and remain sane as you're going to lose so much control.
That is alittle much! It is still a camera and they both do take photos as well, all buttons (or lack thereof) aside

12-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
That would be no AF focus point confirmation. It does have the green hex focus confirmation in the VF...
Thanks for the correction - that's what I meant to say. There is the green hex confirmation and also the beep confirmation for autofocus, but when using multiple autofocus points, there's no hint on which of them have acquired focus.
12-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #10

I vote K7, mostly because even in low light, I found the need never to shoot above ISO 800. But I shoot with a flash, because I think it adds to an image. I do not do this professionally though. Just for fun.

IMO: Shooting RAW from ISO100-1600 the K7 images look better than the KX. The noise difference between the two at these ISO is very minor in real life situations and IMO not really noticable, and the extra resolution of the K7 really edges it out interms of detail. The difference at ISO3200 is harder, the K7 IMO still can produce a little more detail, but compared to the KX there is also noticably more noise. ISO6400 is basically useless on the K7. Noise from ISO800-3200 is easily controlled using good NR software. Shooting Jpeg is a diferent matter and the KX's NR for inbody Jpeg trumps the K7, but if you're shooting for detail, you'll only shoot RAW.

Honstly the lack of a AF indicator point bugs the crap out of me in the KX, and I use the top LCD in low light situations. The fact that it also has weather sealing is a big + for me.

I just hope pentax comes out with a FF line up soon, or else I'll be looking to Nikon =(
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K7 because it has vastly improved metering 77 segments vs 11,

I am also not sure if the K-x has focus adjustment for each lens, which could be an issue.

That is the route I went, but note, if you are going to upgrade, how much will you save by disposing of the K10, not a lot in my opinion.

As a rule I have always kept the old bodies as back up, and the 10mp sensor in the K10 is pretty good at low iso,
12-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It seems to me the question you need to ask is, what about the K10D are you not satisfied with? The answer to that question would go a long way toward telling you which camera would make the more viable replacement. Really, the K10D is the far better camera than the K-x in almost every possible way, except for high ISO performance, frame rate, and maybe AF speed. Oh, and of course the K-x takes movies. Whereas as far as I can tell, the K-7 is the better camera than the K10D in every way, period - no exceptions.
12-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The K-7 is better at low ISO's than the K-x, the K-x is better at the extreme high ISO's.
The K-7 has better metering system, better P-TTL, better autofocus in low light (colour sensitive AF sensor and built-in green AF assist light) and it easier to customise.

The K-x is fun and cheerful, but the tiny tiny viewfinder... I have a K10D and looking through the K-x is looking through a tunnel in comparision. The lack of separate button controls drives me nuts on the K-x. For example, it has a green button. Now, this green button can be a standard green button with program shift OR depth-of-field button OR RAW-JPEG button OR cross processing filter button OR even more things it can be...
Now, I want program shift. But I also want depth-of-field preview, and I can't get that at the same time because the green button only can hold one function! So to switch between program shift and depth-of-field preview I have to enter the custom menu.
There is no way to get depth-of-field preview without loosing program shift.
I also would like a RAW-button. But if I set the green button to RAW, then I loose program shift and all the other things...

The K-7 does not have those limitations.

But as a fun and cheerful camera which is easy to bring a long, then the K-x is fantastic. And it takes very sharp and nice images at all ISO's.

But I glad that I kept my K10D, I plan to use it for macros and landscpes at low ISO's where composition and image quality is of utmost importance and for this I shoot RAW.
12-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good things come to those who wait. Here's my advice:

If the K10D/K20D experience is at all applicable, the K7 should be down around 700.00 by this summer, say June/July timeframe. I won't argue this with anyone, just look at the prices for K10S/K20D. I have.

By March of 2008 the K10D was $649.00 This is when I bought.
In March of 2008 the K20D was $1260
By exactly 6-10-2009 the K20D was at $659.00 at B&H and Adorama (went up for a while then). This is when I bought.

Take what you would blow on a K7 today and buy a Kx. Keep the K10D because it is an awesome camera and a worthy backup for when you are missing a more featured spec.

When the K7 has come down to $700 or so, well... buy that too. At that point sell you K10D, or if you find you are not using it in the interim, sell it earlier and pick up the K7 at a higher price point.

There's cake... and best of all... you MAY indeed eat it!

woof
12-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That is alittle much! It is still a camera and they both do take photos as well, all buttons (or lack thereof) aside
Nah I don't think it is. You can't choose your AF point for a start which is just crazy, then you're stuck with one wheel so if you're in Aperture priority mode (which most of us here use) you need to either use Auto iSO (good luck with that) or go menu digging.

Joy.

There's a plethora of customisable features the K7 has that the Kx doesn't, it's a beginners camera.