Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #1

K100D Super firmware - where can I get it?

I've been having some problems with my K100D Super and (to cut a long long long story short) would like to try 'reflashing' the firmware. It looks like v1.00 is/was the only firmware version ever produced, so I guess that's why I can't find it on Pentax's software update page.

Where can I get the original firmware for the K100D Super?
And is it even possible to load that firmware (as its the same version on the camera)?

I have emailed Pentax, on their 'pentaxinfo at pentax dot com' address (which I've previously had correspondence from).

(N.B - the K100D Super is a different camera to the K100D, and the firmware is not interchangeable).

Thanks!

12-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No idea how of if it would be possible, but I think you need to tell the long story that makes you think this might be something worth the risk of trying.
12-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmmm..makes me want to wonder why he needs the reflashing too!??
12-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No idea how of if it would be possible, but I think you need to tell the long story that makes you think this might be something worth the risk of trying.
The camera's top LCD and VF LCD will just intermittently turn off (and stay off). When this happens all of the camera's other functions are inaccesssible; the wheel doesn't work, the modes don't work, the ev. comp doesn't work, and I can't even change aperture or shutter.

I haven't been able to nail down what is triggering it, but it does seem to pretty much only happen right after the camera is turned on. In other words, if it's good when I turn it on, it's most likely good until I turn it off again.
Sometimes it has failed in the middle of shooting, and very occasionally I have 'seen' it in the process of failing; the top LCD will display garbage and the VF LCD will go dim/blank. If I switch it off at that moment, the displays will be gone when I turn the camera back on.

When it fails, I can sit it down on a table and spend 15 minutes turning it on and off, then come back to it the next day and it will be fine - or, it won't come back on for a week. It's super arbitrary and unpredictable.

I'm quite certain it's not a physical connection problem. I have shaken, twisted, tapped (and sometimes banged!) the camera to get it to work, to no effect. It just comes back when it wants to.

I'm pretty convinced, myself, that it's not a problem on the hardware level.

Is it possible for firmware to become corrupt and cause problems like this?

12-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremyhall Quote
Don't know about DSLRs, but a Creative MP3 player of mine used to become corrupt every now and then and was repeatedly fixed for months by re-flashing it. Then again, the memory type and structure of a camera may be completely different.
12-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremyhall Quote
I'm pretty convinced, myself, that it's not a problem on the hardware level.

That sounds like the classic textbook example of something that is pretty clearly a hardware problem. Software doesn't just suddenly go bad. And not all hardware problems go away when you kick it. Although one of the hardware problems that can happen is failing flash memory, and that could produce symptoms that masquerade as software problems.
12-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dumb question but have you tried new batteries on it?
If using rechargeable, one might be bad and suddenly causes low power.
Try to see if a different memory card might help with a new set of batteries.
This is just a shot and what's the hurt in trying.
If all else fails, then call Pentax.

01-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #8

Hi,

I got a similar problem (screen switch off sometimes when I'm going through the menu settings) and I was looking for the same solution.
Did anybody found the original firmware and a way to re-flash the camera?

thanks
01-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To add a note to an older thread...

a) It does not sound like firmware to me.

b) I once asked around for Version 1.00 firmware for the older K100D. I wanted to backdate since the older firmware works better with the unsupported Remote Assistant. No one could point me to the older version.

It is unfortunate that Pentax hasn't provided all versions of firmware. I was in the Computer Service Business for a long time and I always kept the old versions in case a customer wanted to go backwards.
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

As others have said, it sounds like a hardware problem.

But, technically, it should be possible to dump the firmware from your camera to file. See here: Pentax Hack Site. Not sure how much that would help though if the original firmware is corrupt. And I'm not even sure the dump process on the site produces a usable firmware image, or if it is just for decrypting purposes. If you like, I have a K100d Super as well and could try dumping the files and see what you can do with them.