Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does K-x support wire release?

I'm selling my K10D to buy a K-x.

But I'm wondering if the K-x supports the use of a wire release. I know it supports a remote control, but I don't want that, I want to use a wire release I bought for the K10D that works very well for me and what I do.

12-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Unfortunately no.

your options are the wireless remote, or the Kx (and K7) have an option for bulb mode to set first press of the shutter to open the shutter, and 2nd press to close it.
12-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, thank you for the answer.

It's good to see that they've improved that at least. On the K10D (not sure about the K20D), you have to hold the button on the remote control when using bulb.

It's a bit unfortunate that there is now wire release possible as I do a lot of time lapse, but setting it on low continuous shooting with 2 FPS will do most of what I want, but then I'll have to hold it I guess :/ (to keep it firing continuously).

Filming won't really be the same really, but I guess that can be done as well.

Is there manual control for filming on the K-x? (sorry for the OT)
12-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can set the aperture manually prior to the start of filming...during you can only adjust aperture if you have a lens with the aperture ring; you can also lock the exposure before filming. Otherwise during filming, the only control you have it so lock the exposure...but that is purely based on what you are seeing on the LV screen, so there is no definitive ISO control. In a nutshell no I guess? haha!

The K-x does have an interval shooting feature in the menus (it may be limited to 99 shots or something to that effect), but you can set that as low as 1/sec shooting to whatever interval you prefer beyond that.

12-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the answer. Hopefully they'll upgrade the firmware to give more control for filming, but I think it will work regardless.

I guess I'll be filming more than photographing for time lapse then. I'm not currently doing it for very long time periods, just a few minutes at a time, so it will have to do.

I'm sure the K30D will support a wire release :P
11-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
Ok, thank you for the answer.

It's good to see that they've improved that at least. On the K10D (not sure about the K20D), you have to hold the button on the remote control when using bulb.

It's a bit unfortunate that there is now wire release possible as I do a lot of time lapse, but setting it on low continuous shooting with 2 FPS will do most of what I want, but then I'll have to hold it I guess :/ (to keep it firing continuously).

Filming won't really be the same really, but I guess that can be done as well.

Is there manual control for filming on the K-x? (sorry for the OT)
You may want to check the manual if you do a lot of time lapse. The k-r manual mentions time lapse ("interval shooting") but the k-x manual does not. It's in the k-r manual right between "continuous shooting" and "multiple exposures" (which I haven't worked with yet, but sounds very interesting). The k-r might be a better camera for you if that's important.
11-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-x does not support in-built interval shooting, for sure. But you can buy third party IR intervalometers if you want to use the K-x for time-lapse.

Thread below is related:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94158-pentax-k-x-i...tried-one.html