Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Multiple Group Photo Shots

Hi All,

Christmas period coming up here... looking for some input which will help with the family self-portraits.

Basically... what I am trying to do is... set the camera on the tripod... and using the timer hit 5-10 shots... hopefully at least 1 has the entire family with the eyes open etc... for reference I have a K20D

I have found 2 options which seem to come closest to this.... but seem to belive that I must be missing something...

I can get the camera to take bracket shots (3 or 5) using bracketing... and can set in the 12 second delay so that I can run t be part of the photo... however I dont actually want to bracket the photo so I need to select a min of 0.5EV step in the 5 photos.... works, is what I have used till now, but not ideal...

I also see that I can do interval shooting.... I can select the number of shots I need with the interval but cannot use the 12 second delay timer...

Is there another option I can use to get what I want? I cant believe I am the only one who would use this... maybe I am the only one who does not know "how" to do it

Merry Christmas
Paul

12-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Inactive Account

What about a Wireless Remote Control F?

You could be in the photo and crack off as many as you'd like. Combined with the camera's 2 second delay timer, nobody will ever see the remote in your hand. Just push the button and close your hand over the remote.

That's how I take group family photos.
12-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Note that if bracketing and the 12-sec delay is set, you will have a 12-second delay for each frame. Way too much time for subject fidgeting. The delay control is for each frame, not just the first one. I think the "hidden" wireless radio or IR trigger is the way to go.
12-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Note that if bracketing and the 12-sec delay is set, you will have a 12-second delay for each frame. Way too much time for subject fidgeting. The delay control is for each frame, not just the first one. I think the "hidden" wireless radio or IR trigger is the way to go.
On the K20D it does not work in this way assuming you have the 1-touch bracketing enabled in the custom menu. With this set you have the 12 sec delay and no delay between the bracketed shots... As I dont have a remote this is my current "fix".

While I see the value in a remote... and I will get one I just found it strange there was no better in camera option for this.

12-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the remote is one of the better investments i've made. for only 10 or 15 dollars it has been a priceless addition for more accurate timing in group photos. just setting the camera to 3 second timer and remote

its works great

try getting 30+ students to coordinate something!

im the one in the green. its nice to be in your own photos once and a while.

12-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

when we do this (like today!) we just take one pic with the 12sec timer and then check it for any blinks... usually takes a few go's to get it right
12-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
I ordered the wireless control F from Amazon. It will likely arrive after christmas so can use it for the new year celebrations.

thanks all for your help.
01-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
I got the remote... I realize now that I should have ordered some more... damn these things are small (and easy to lose I am sure)...

now... any tips on avoiding loss of said remote?... I was thinking through trying to engineer some type of strap or something.

01-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #9

The K20D has interval shooting. You could set that for shooting every 2 - 3 seconds for the number of shots you want plus a few more to give you time to join the group. It took me ages to find this setting
01-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulelescoces Quote
I got the remote... I realize now that I should have ordered some more... damn these things are small (and easy to lose I am sure)...

now... any tips on avoiding loss of said remote?... I was thinking through trying to engineer some type of strap or something.
Get the grip. It has storage for the Pentax remote.
01-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
I was actually going to get the grip while in NY last week but both Adorama & B&H were out of stock.. I guess I will wait for the next time.
01-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

I use a neck strap from a conference ID badge holder. This one has a spring loaded clip that I flattened out. I can easily detach the remote, if I want. This works well for tripod shots when I'm not going to be in the picture. Make sure to take the strap off your neck if you're part of the photo.

I know some people drill a hole through the similar sized Olympus remote, but I'm not recommending that unless you take the remote apart first.

You can buy bigger and much less expensive remotes than the Pentax. Search this forum for references.

I wish Pentax would allow continuous shooting or bracketing with the remote. I don't see why they are limited to the shutter release button.
01-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #13

Original Poster
I will need to check this but I thought bracketing, interval shooting & Continuous shooting were all possible from my short time playing around with it...

It did take me some playing around to work out how to activate the AF via the remote (I was seeing conflicting stories also that AF was/was not possible)
01-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I will need to check this but I thought bracketing, interval shooting & Continuous shooting were all possible from my short time playing around with it...

It did take me some playing around to work out how to activate the AF via the remote (I was seeing conflicting stories also that AF was/was not possible)
My comments relate to the Kx. Apologies, if this does not apply to your camera.

On the Kx, you cannot use continuous and remote at the same time.