Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The K-x convinced me to complete my set of DA Limiteds... my DA 15 should be getting here sometime after Christmas.

Will probably end up getting the FA Limiteds as well, dammit.
Haha..and they said that acquiring the K-x would be cheap!

12-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
The point is that the red indicator will show as long as the subject is within DOF. That means it's not 100% accurate. For example, when taking pictures at a concert the red dot can show when focusing on the eyes, but then it turns out that focus was on the microphone. However, the eyes are still sharp because they're within DOF.
If your contention is true (the dot comes on any time focus is within DOF and the hex only on precise focus) then when the hex is on so should the red dot be on -- always.

But this is not true, at least not on my K20D. It is easy for me to see the hex but not the red dot when in focus. And I never have the red dot on but not the hex.

My interpretation is that the red dot shows when the camera is getting focus and the hex shows when it is obtained. And secondly, the hex is not a precise indication of the focal plane, nowhere near precise even at f/2, let alone wider apertures.
12-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If your contention is true (the dot comes on any time focus is within DOF and the hex only on precise focus) then when the hex is on so should the red dot be on -- always.

But this is not true, at least not on my K20D. It is easy for me to see the hex but not the red dot when in focus. And I never have the red dot on but not the hex.

My interpretation is that the red dot shows when the camera is getting focus and the hex shows when it is obtained. And secondly, the hex is not a precise indication of the focal plane, nowhere near precise even at f/2, let alone wider apertures.

Hmm...I will have to check this out tonight. Thanks.

Kind regards
.lars
12-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I am glad this thread has brought this behaviour to my attention, because I have never bothered thinking about it this carefully.

12-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #50
Igilligan

I had never thought much about it

Like I said, three years and I have been doing this wrong all along

The way my brain works with my mf lenses, I compose the shot - begin to fine focus as I meter, get the red dot and fire away. I am always looking center as I am fine focusing, so to look down at the green hex is not something I naturally do. In fact, I can honestly say I could count the amount of times I have actually seen the green hex before I fired on two hands.

So I just practiced and realized I can be aware of the green hex still looking center at focus... But the same thing happened, once I achieve focus, I can still turn the focus ring a bit and the hex stays lit. Like I said, at the shallow dof of F1.2/1.8 I am not sure that is a good thing.
12-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't recall a discussion surrounding the green hex or the red dot before, but I'm glad it has come up. I don't think I have ever paid attention to the green hex....other than trying to determine how to get the camera to shoot even though it doesn't think things are locked in focus (which I am still looking for).

Back on topic, I have the K-m, K-7 and K20d, so I can't really compare the K-7 against the K-x, but I can confirm one thing. I have found the K-7 vastly outperforms the K20d (and K-m) when using K series and Takumar manual lenses. I'm sure the K-x is a terrific camera, but high ISO is simply not enough to sway me over to an entry level camera. If you enjoy using older glass, you will probably be very happy with the K-7.
12-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I can confirm one thing. I have found the K-7 vastly outperforms the K20d (and K-m) when using K series and Takumar manual lenses. I'm sure the K-x is a terrific camera, but high ISO is simply not enough to sway me over to an entry level camera. If you enjoy using older glass, you will probably be very happy with the K-7.
That's a pretty bold claim.
12-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I don't recall a discussion surrounding the green hex or the red dot before, but I'm glad it has come up. I don't think I have ever paid attention to the green hex....other than trying to determine how to get the camera to shoot even though it doesn't think things are locked in focus (which I am still looking for).

Back on topic, I have the K-m, K-7 and K20d, so I can't really compare the K-7 against the K-x, but I can confirm one thing. I have found the K-7 vastly outperforms the K20d (and K-m) when using K series and Takumar manual lenses. I'm sure the K-x is a terrific camera, but high ISO is simply not enough to sway me over to an entry level camera. If you enjoy using older glass, you will probably be very happy with the K-7.
In what way does the K-7 outperform the K20d when using manual focus glass?

12-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am glad to see the Dprview on K-x conclusion. it does note the missing of visible AF point in one of the 'cons' in the conclusion.

I tried out some b&w simple conversion in iPhoto and I only need some minor noise reduction on the iso 12,800 and 10,000 shots, all others are just plain default NR on jpg -- medium

iso 6400 with a 200mm f/3.5 MF lens in f/3.5

iso 6400 with DA 40mm f/2.8

iso 5000 with DA 40mm f/2.8

iso 12800 with DA 40mm f/2.8 in f/2.8
Some NR in post processing

iso 10000 with DA 40mm f/2.8
Some NR in post processing

Pentax K-x white High ISO indoor

And I really like the detail, tones, and clean shots without much work on noise right from Jpg.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-25-2010 at 12:49 PM.
12-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Question on AF.A ?

I have never paid attention to AF settings in K-x. It has the new AF.A default setting that is auto between AF.C and AF.S. I checked on my menu and so far it does not say in detail how the setting can shift from one in AF.S to AF.C and vice verse, do any K-x users have experience in knowing how AF.A works. Does it only shift AF when different scene mode get selected or is it smart to know when to change from one to the other.

Thanks,
Hin
12-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
SRResult: Not Stabilized when SR ON

I have been reading bunch of soft pictures from other and I go through my month of pictures, some of my soft pictures do come from hitting the shutter too fast when I did not pay attention to the SR ready (hand) signal at bottom of view finder.

An example with K-x and DA 21mm f/3.2 limited

1/125 sec, f/3.2, 21mm, iso 6400, +0.7 Ev

SRResult: Not stabilized
Shake Reduction: On (7)
SRHalf Press Time: 0.33 s
SRFocal Length: 22 mm

This may not be a valid sample to quote here as it is a difficult shooting scene and I am in the bouncing balloon basketball court where I am not on solid surface as well. And I do find a surprising number of my pictures that are soft and SRResult is not stabilized and I only know it after the fact. There has been other valid discussions on SR delay like 0.6 sec after the half press. And in my case of shooting picture in action, I was simply not paying attention in the moving scene. Quite a number of my pictures in the outing are not stabilized as I was just too eager to make the shot. I would have liked SR to come into play sooner but that is something that I have to watch. It is indoor and I should have used 1/200 and faster shutter but I did not enable the extended ISO range to 12800 at the time.

For people with soft pictures, I will suggest that to be a first clue to look into EXIF and see if SRResult is actually stabilized as expected.

Just a bit of thoughtt on troubleshooting on soft pictures.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-26-2009 at 09:47 AM.
01-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have never paid attention to AF settings in K-x. It has the new AF.A default setting that is auto between AF.C and AF.S. I checked on my menu and so far it does not say in detail how the setting can shift from one in AF.S to AF.C and vice verse, do any K-x users have experience in knowing how AF.A works. Does it only shift AF when different scene mode get selected or is it smart to know when to change from one to the other.

Thanks,
Hin
I don't hear a reply on my AF-A question, I hope other K-x users knowing the specifics on AF-A can clue me in when the camera decide on AF-C over AF-S. When I switched to scene modes as in moving object or perhaps shooting on kids, I think the camera will switch to AF-C automatically and back when I am back to Av or P mode. Is there any smart design in AF-A that will pick up on AF-C subject to timing and AF half press on objects? I doubt it and I certainly hope that AF-A is smarter.

Thanks,
Hin
01-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suspect that AF-Auto tends to lean towards the AF-C (11 point) mode. I wouldn't expect AF-A to refert to AF-S; you should be using that setting when you know you need it.

Imagine a scene with a large crowd. Is your camera going to center focus, or focus on a different AF point? I wouldn't expect the camera to know who I'm looking at, that's why I tend to use AF-S.

The difference between AF-A and AF-Constant is probably that the camera might see a rapid change in sharpness among the different sensors and decide to focus more rapidly depending on the movement of the subject. It's tough to understand how a camera can achieve that.
01-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I don't know the answer to your question, but I suspect that AF-Auto tends to lean towards the AF-C (11 point) mode. I wouldn't expect AF-A to refert to AF-S; you should be using that setting when you know you need it.

Imagine a scene with a large crowd. Is your camera going to center focus, or focus on a different AF point? I wouldn't expect the camera to know who I'm looking at, that's why I tend to use AF-S.

The difference between AF-A and AF-Constant is probably that the camera might see a rapid change in sharpness among the different sensors and decide to focus more rapidly depending on the movement of the subject. It's tough to understand how a camera can achieve that.
Thanks for the reply. I thought AF-C stands for continuous shooting whereas AF-S is for single shot. I recall seeing the user menu which states that AF-A is for automatic switching between AF-C and AF-S.

Due to the missing red focus point, I have set to use center focal point only and I think many users also use the center point for most shooting. Due to the missing of red focal point, the 11 focal points are really down to 1 point for my use. In sport and bird shooting, I will switch from center back to either 5-point or 11-point.

For normal daily use, the way I shoot is to AF on center and recompose the frame after half press. With my setting, I think the AF-A will default to AF-S for most shooting. Had I chosen the 5-point or 11-points, AF-A will pick the AF points for me but without the red dot, it is sort of guessing which AF point the camera pick for me. What is Pentax thinking in this limitation on K-x and K-m, K-2000. Regardless, I still don't know how AF-A chooses between AF-C (for continuous without locking shutter release) and AF-S (for single shot). According to my understanding on the limited inputs from user menu, the camera chooses between AF-C and AF-S in the default AF-A setting. So far, I only see AF-S working in my 1 month with K-x. Does it mean that when I choose center point, AF-A will default to AF-S automatically and never switch to AF-C?

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-02-2010 at 04:59 PM.
01-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Thanks for the reply. I thought AF-C stands for continuous shooting whereas AF-S is for single shot. I recall seeing the user menu which states that AF-A is for automatic switching between AF-C and AF-S.

Due to the missing red focus point, I have set to use center focal point only and I think many users also use the center point for most shooting. Due to the missing of red focal point, the 11 focal points are really down to 1 point for my use. In sport and bird shooting, I will switch from center back to either 5-point or 11-point.

For normal daily use, the way I shoot is to AF on center and recompose the frame after half press. With my setting, I think the AF-A will default to AF-S for most shooting. Had I chosen the 5-point or 11-points, AF-A will pick the AF points for me but without the red dot, it is sort of guessing which AF point the camera pick for me. What is Pentax thinking in this limitation on K-x and K-m, K-2000. Regardless, I still don't know how AF-A chooses between AF-C (for continuous without locking shutter release) and AF-S (for single shot). According to my understanding on the limited inputs from user menu, the camera chooses between AF-C and AF-S in the default AF-A setting. So far, I only see AF-S working in my 1 month with K-x. Does it mean that when I choose center point, AF-A will default to AF-S automatically and never switch to AF-C?

Hin
I usually simply use AF.C since I take pictures for my children and they keep moving, using AF.C will allow it to refocus continuously is the object moves.