Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
A lil off topic but how the hell do you keep your gear so clean?!? btw i enjoy reading your site(s)
Thank you. The white k-x withstands quite good to smudges.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have not actually shot M lenses on the K-x. I am too wedded to the focus aids and finders on my other bodies.

For the K-x I am too smitten with the pancake primes. I've gone so far as to buy the DA70 when I already have and like the FA77, just because I like the pancake package with this body so much.

I bascially keep my K10d body set up for completely manual operation, and keep the M and K lenses on that body. That way, I don't forget to reset the other bodies. I totally agree with you about handholding this camera with a long lens. I find that even with a light-ish zoom like the DA 55-300, I don't get handheld shots that match the K20d. My experience is very similar to yours all the way around.

I am totally addicted to the compact package that performs well in low light for indoor people shots.
It is so good to see that I am NOT the ONLY PENTAX victims who get both 70 and 77. Damn the K-x! I bought my 70mm and 40mm used right after my frantic craze with K-x. Yes, the compact form factor is the best of the best with DA limited primes. I am thinking of the 15mm for the wide angle and I am afraid to open any of Jay's thread on 15mm.

Gene, I am absolutely with you on keeping the K10 or K20D for manual focusing. I love my K-x but the gripes are my personal opinion. The results on using MF lens are good in K-x but it is harder to do:
  • I need that red focal point overlay to reference for the bird's eye
  • The extra noise in mirror slapping in stop-down metering in K-mount manual lens make K-x lesser a candidate if noise bothers you. It bothers me a bit in every green press (or +- button)
  • Unlike my K20D, I can't use the Av mode for metering in M42 lens. It is not a big gripe as the M-mode and green button is the way to go as suggested by Gus.
  • Without the hand-grip and a smaller size, the K-x is not that well balanced with long lens, making it difficult to hand-hold shot

Thanks,
Hin

02-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #107
Site Supporter

I tell myself that having both the 70 and 77 is not a total waste, because I am still shooting film. (I justify the FA35 and DA40 in a similar way)

You won't regret the DA15, by the way. It is every bit as addictive as Jay says.
02-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #108
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A cheapo m42 zoom on K-x

Yes, the Av mode in K-x can't be used reliably for metering in M42 lens. I used my cheapo Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 from Kiron with K-x in M mode.

I shot the following close up range, some with the cosina 1:1 matched macro adapter, a +3 to +4 diopter.

All are shot in M mode with (+/-) button in metering. I prefer the use of M42 lens over K-mount in K-x as the green or (+/-) button press for metering won't trigger the annoying mirror slap.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-22-2010 at 01:13 PM.
07-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #109
Pentaxian

How come my K-x only offers only iso 200, even if I already extended the iso sentivity?

07-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Very nice and very descriptive review. The white KX looks good with the DA 40mm lens. However, I do not see myself buying a White camera. it is a matter of preference. Black is more suitable for me.
07-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
How come my K-x only offers only iso 200, even if I already extended the iso sentivity?
turn off highlight correction
07-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I also recall having a hard time in half-press and re-compose in AF.C as it always AF on center and recomposing frame in AF.C will confuse tracking focus to refocus the new center point.
good reason to get focus off the shutter button
loses another function then i think ?
Pete

Last edited by Transit; 07-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.
07-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Wed7 ... I'm not sure exactly about the answer but I suspect only several camera modes (aperture mode, shutter mode, iso mode for example) support "ISO 100" use. I'm not sure which modes are the ones that would support it, and I just named those modes as possible examples. I bet the manual will tell you which modes allow for ISO 100.

Good luck!
Sam

07-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #114

1/60 sec, f/3.2, 40mm, iso 6400, 0 Ev

Old Spaghetti Factory! I love that restaurant! The one in Atlanta closed down. Anyways, excellent shots and I'm very impressed with the quality. One question though: When shooting with a manual lens with the K-x, do you just have to eye ball it for focus? Any other manual camera I've used has had some sort of built in aid to help you focus the shot.
07-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmanhughes Quote
1/60 sec, f/3.2, 40mm, iso 6400, 0 Ev

Old Spaghetti Factory! I love that restaurant! The one in Atlanta closed down. Anyways, excellent shots and I'm very impressed with the quality. One question though: When shooting with a manual lens with the K-x, do you just have to eye ball it for focus? Any other manual camera I've used has had some sort of built in aid to help you focus the shot.
The K-x still has the green hex in the viewfinder that tells you when the (a) subject is in focus. It just doesn't have the red viewfinder highlight boxes to show which point is in focus. Generally I set it to center point and that way I always knew.