Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I didn't really understand your response, but I understand your confusion. I haven't spent enough time experimenting with the different AF options, but they don't seem very useful to me unless you are in the right conditions.

I can understand when I need AF-S as opposed to AF-C, but I have a hard time understanding how AF-A is going to know what I want to focus on.

Maybe it can sense a moving object?

01-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dude2009 Quote
I usually simply use AF.C since I take pictures for my children and they keep moving, using AF.C will allow it to refocus continuously is the object moves.
Thank you for the inputs. Yes, I would use AF.C for my kids' photos but AF.C does have other caveats that I prefer the AF.S for general use. The AF.C will let you depress the shutter fully even when AF is not obtained whereas AF.S will disable shutter release until you obtain the proper AF.

I also recall having a hard time in half-press and re-compose in AF.C as it always AF on center and recomposing frame in AF.C will confuse tracking focus to refocus the new center point.

Thanks,
Hin
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Pentax K-x white continues to amaze me in traveling light and versatile especially for indoor shooting. Instead of taking along the limited pancakes, I go with the zoom that I normally use for 1-lens go-to choice in traveling with Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. The high iso capability up a notch or two for the zoom. Some pictures in Disneyland

1/40 sec, f/2.8, 17mm, iso 1600, 0 Ev
default NR in medium with Jpg, no pp

1/30 sec, f/3.5, 34mm, iso 12800, 0 Ev
default NR in medium, NR in iPhoto,

I should try on Noise Ninja and Neat image and other settings and report back. I had photos in little ambient light and I felt almost in complete darkness in a room except a lighted toy in the #2 picture. Though some detail is loss, the K-x enables me to take the picture without flash on the lighted toy from a boy who waited in line with my family to see Micky in person while in Disneyland Toon Town

1/100 sec, f/4.0, 45mm, iso 2500 , 0 Ev
jpg, default NR, no pp, no flash

1/25 sec, f/3.5, 26mm, iso 12800 , 0 Ev
jpg, default NR, no pp,
no flash, on a moving boat

1/30 sec, f/4.0, 40mm, iso 12800, 0 Ev
jpg, default NR, no pp, no flash, on a moving boat

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-26-2010 at 10:46 AM.
01-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster

1/10 sec, f/2.8, 17mm, iso 12800 , 0 Ev
jpg, default NR, no pp, no flash,
on a moving boat, cropped center

1/80 sec, f/4.0, 40mm, iso 4000 , 0 Ev
parade at night

1/125 sec, f/4.0, 63mm, iso 5000 , 0 Ev

summary in
Pentax K-x White in Disneyland

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-26-2010 at 10:46 AM.
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #65

Deadwolfbones,

I'm just wondering, why do you own K-7 and K-x? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm only asking a question and please, please dont take it the wrong way.

Thank you.

Peter
01-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The K-x convinced me to complete my set of DA Limiteds... my DA 15 should be getting here sometime after Christmas.
My DA15 arrived shortly after Christmas--one of the benefits of those credit card points.
01-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Deadwolfbones,

I'm just wondering, why do you own K-7 and K-x? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm only asking a question and please, please dont take it the wrong way.

Thank you.

Peter
Well, the K-7 is a bright-light champ for me, and it's got the dual dials and assorted controls I need when I'm doing more "professional" shooting. It's just a great camera to work with, but I never use it without the grip, and tend to use it with bigger f/2.8 zooms that make it quite a heavy package despite its small size (which isn't to say I don't use my primes on it). The K-x, on the other hand, is great for casual day-to-day shooting, taking to the bar in the evening, etc. I bring it to work with me basically every day so I can go shooting at lunch, etc. Paired with the DA 40, DA 70, and DA 21 it's a great lightweight street kit.

But basically I have both because I can.

01-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

1/10 sec, f/2.8, 17mm, iso 12800 , 0 Ev
jpg, default NR, no pp, no flash,
on a moving boat, cropped center

1/80 sec, f/4.0, 40mm, iso 4000 , 0 Ev
parade at night

1/125 sec, f/4.0, 63mm, iso 5000 , 0 Ev

summary in
Pentax K-x White in Disneyland

Thanks,
Hin
morning hin...... for these shots with the k-x..... did you use center focus? or 11/5 ?? thanks.... much appreciated, dave m
01-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
morning hin...... for these shots with the k-x..... did you use center focus? or 11/5 ?? thanks.... much appreciated, dave m
Dave, all the shots were done with single center focal point and default in AF-A. And I think AF-A picked AF-S for single shot in the shooting. I never found the answer to my question if the default AF-A setting along with single central focal point has some smart in switching between AF-S and AF-C subject to user's use of half-press and movement. I doubt it and it is likely a scene mode toggle, but I am not sure. I always have wishful thinking what more my K-x can do.

About the low light shooting in Disneyland experience. I summarize it a bit in Pentax K-x white in Disneyland and I can elaborate a bit here.

The AF is fast and responsive in both dim lighting and tungsten type of tricky lighting. I feel more responsive than K20D in the dark. Auto WB can be off in tungsten lighting though I find the preset Tungsten WB quite handy to use in restaurant type of lighting. It is important to note that the AF hunting is not encountered much in my use with normal zoom lens Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 which I used exclusively in the trip

Not having the red focal point can be a bit of hindrance to someone like me who uses the red point for point of reference to the middle. In daytime, it is an non-issue as I can adapt to using the the center broken circle and lines for reference. In the dark, you have to be bolder and be patient and attentive to the beep and green hex down under in the viewfinder. All can be done and re-trained but it is a bit of unfortunate whining that I have to offer to others as my personal opinion as a negative for K-x.

The K-x is quite peppy to use. The real kicker for me in the shooting the Disney parade was standing next to a tall fellow having a Nikon D3 (or some similar bigger variants) and a likely f/2.8 zoom lens with VR. I certainty didn't feel half the photographer with an entry level camera. Both of us shot with no flash light and I was very much empowered to be bold and went the extra naively with iso 6400 and iso 12800. God forbids! Of course, I wouldn't have the perfect pictures like the Nikon professional, but boy, the K-x came through from me quite good as a snap shooters with reasonable pictures for keeping the memories of what we enjoyed and saw on the trip.

One has to know when one travels with family. The last thing that one wants to do is to get the perfect camera setup with all the best lens, the ever debatable on RAW versus JPG, and a big bag of equipment with tripod and flash that slow one down. What I have is a very small backpack with Pentax K-x White and my trusty 1-lens do-it-most-if-not-all Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. As much as I hate to oblige, family always comes first and the pictures are supplemental for the memories. The K-x comes through big time for me as a compact fun camera, dependable, big on IQ, stylish, and easy-to-use.

All were taken in jpg with almost default setting. I used mostly P mode with adjustment to Av setting. In the dark, the Program mode picks on wide open apertures. I set auto-iso to 100 to 12800. In the complete darkness, I used f/2.8 and trust the K-x to do its thing. I set sharpness to +1 and use Fine Sharpness instead of the normal one. This is tuned to try out bumping up default sharpness setting that seem to be a tiny bit touch soft for me when I compare to K20D default setting. I use default NR which is medium. SRResult=Unstablized are seen in many of my shots whereas it is time critical for me as in a boat ride. It is either un-stabilized or no shot at all and I choose the former to hit the shutter. In daytime good lighting, I use Av mode and tune down the auto-iso range to 100-800 and uses Av aperture subject to scenes. With the built-in flash, I use mostly on slow shutter sync to capture not just the face but the more of the background. I dial in -1/3 on built-in flash.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.
01-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some amateur test videos to show. Apology for the rough viewing on videos. I should have brought in a monopod for the clips, but the clips does more than the still pictures would. It would have been extremely great had I stabilized and get to a better zoom position. I think most are taken in 220mm and you see some jerkiness on the video; otherwise, quite good to use for memory keepsake. All are shot with Pentax K-x white and Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 in Sea Lion Live show in Seaworld of San Diego

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX5ELO60FMk[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7lzvS0cVcE[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxIVzgxUGC8[/YT]
be warned: some annoying shaking

Pentax K-x White on HD Test Videos

Last edited by hinman; 01-21-2010 at 06:40 PM.
01-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have placed the HD videos into my blog. First on the charming characters. All are shot using default setting on K-x with Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 in about focal range in 200mm as I was staying very far back in the stadium. It is unfortunate with the shaking, please bear with me.

It would definitely be better had I brought in a monopod for the shooting.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-26-2010 at 10:47 AM.
01-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More on Seaworld with K-x white and Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6

Last edited by hinman; 01-26-2010 at 10:47 AM.
01-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Hin-
How does one meter with the K-x when using a manual focus Pentax-M lens or M42 lens?
01-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
Hin-
How does one meter with the K-x when using a manual focus Pentax-M lens or M42 lens?
the green button just like all other pentax.
01-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
the green button just like all other pentax.
Yes, the green button is used for stop-down metering for the Pentax M lenses while your mode dial is set for M for manual mode.

For M42 lenses, you can either use the M mode or switch to Av mode without the the need of green button. For M42 lens, I usually use the Av mode and skip the stop down metering with green button.

You have to use the customize setting to allow aperture to be set on aperture ring.

Thanks,
Hin