Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The sound you hear is not the mirror flipping but rather the aperture stopping down. It gets dark in the viewfinder while stopped down, and makes noise. Using the green button you get a quick stop down, darkening the viewfinder, followed by an immediate opening of the aperture. If you watch carefully you will see that the subject is always visible. Try it at f/5.6 and you will see that it just darkens briefly.
Albert, I am aware of the stop-down but I do hear the extra mirror flipping likely before the stop-down of aperture blades. I saw in another thread from k-x user reporting the peculiar mirror flipping before I tried it myself. The mirror flipping and close down of aperture blades are distinctive noise and I don't think I mistaken the two unique noises. I will confirm later on with more use.

Thanks,
Hin

01-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Albert, I am aware of the stop-down but I do hear the extra mirror flipping likely before the stop-down of aperture blades. I saw in another thread from k-x user reporting the peculiar mirror flipping before I tried it myself. The mirror flipping and close down of aperture blades are distinctive noise and I don't think I mistaken the two unique noises. I will confirm later on with more use.

Thanks,
Hin
That's completely different from my K10. I wonder why they do that? Would it have anything to do with live view or LCD preview settings?
01-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried the Infrared filter in B&W Monochrome

Last weekend, I tried the IR filter in B&W in K-x. Lens used is Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8

1/500 sec, f/4.5, 135mm, iso 100, 0 Ev, Tv mode

1/200 sec, f/5.0, 50mm, iso 100, Program mode

1/200 sec, f/5.6, 50mm, iso 100, Program mode

1/500 sec, f/3.2, 135mm, iso 100, 0 Ev, Tv mode

Hin's Tech Corner: Pentax K-x Monochrome and Infrared filter

I initially try the B&W (monochrome) without filter and now it is more fun to go b&w with the IR filter along with other color filter.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-27-2010 at 10:54 AM.
01-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whats the improvement of the Kx to the K20D in iso ? like how many Stops

01-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #95

The K-x is 1 stop better.
01-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #96

More like 2 to 3 stops.
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Whats the improvement of the Kx to the K20D in iso ? like how many Stops
I will say +1 stop. K20D is improved on high ISO performance over the K10D especially in the jpg settings. And if you are shooting in raw and b&w, you can do more with pretty good pictures with K20D in iso 1600 and some even in 3200.

I am a casual JPG shooters and I can count on K20D on up to ISO 1600 and not worry much about the noise. With K-x, I can count on it up to iso 3200 for a pretty decent pictures without much work. With the high ISO performance, I am shooting more in iso 4000, 5000 and even 6400 using the default NR in jpg settings. Result shots with default medium NR in 6400 is grainy and with some loss of detail, but some post processing, bw conversion and better external noiseware will make those 6400 reasonable to use.

I own both K-x and K20D. Though all the high ISO praises, K-x is NOT a replacement for K20D and K-7 as it is in a different class and K-x does have its short comings.

Thanks,
Hin

01-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I will say +1 stop. K20D is improved on high ISO performance over the K10D especially in the jpg settings. And if you are shooting in raw and b&w, you can do more with pretty good pictures with K20D in iso 1600 and some even in 3200.

I am a casual JPG shooters and I can count on K20D on up to ISO 1600 and not worry much about the noise. With K-x, I can count on it up to iso 3200 for a pretty decent pictures without much work. With the high ISO performance, I am shooting more in iso 4000, 5000 and even 6400 using the default NR in jpg settings. Result shots with default medium NR in 6400 is grainy and with some loss of detail, but some post processing, bw conversion and better external noiseware will make those 6400 reasonable to use.

I own both K-x and K20D. Though all the high ISO praises, K-x is NOT a replacement for K20D and K-7 as it is in a different class and K-x does have its short comings.

Thanks,
Hin
I would agree with that, except that I find ISO 3200 shots from the K-x do need a fair amount of work. I suppose we all have varying levels of tolerance for noise, and I do shoot raw, so I may be dealing with them at a less processed phase. I will say that the ISO 1600 shots from the K-x are nicer than anything I've seen and seldom need a visit from the Noise Ninja. Treat them with a few basic ACR settings, and they are good to go.
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thanks,
Hin
Correction: I tried my K-x again on a manual K lens in M mode, the mirror flipping seems to occur after the stop down. I can hear the stop down of blades and the mirror flip about the same time. It is unfortunate and plain weird as the mirror flipping adds to the noise for each green button press.

If you figure out the valid reason for this weird K-x green button behavior, please share your thoughts.

Hin
01-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Correction: I tried my K-x again on a manual K lens in M mode, the mirror flipping seems to occur after the stop down. I can hear the stop down of blades and the mirror flip about the same time. It is unfortunate and plain weird as the mirror flipping adds to the noise for each green button press.

If you figure out the valid reason for this weird K-x green button behavior, please share your thoughts.

Hin
So does the image completely black out??? I find what you say is somewhat impossible unless the camera is now metering off the sensor itself (in which case you would also have the shutter opening and closing).
IF the mirror goes up, it will obviously go up all the way (there is no partial mirror up). This will then cut out the image from the viewfinder and the light meter which is in the back of the pentaprism.
The mirror to the AF module is also part of primary meter assembly and works with it w/ no independent control.
01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
So does the image completely black out??? I find what you say is somewhat impossible unless the camera is now metering off the sensor itself (in which case you would also have the shutter opening and closing).
IF the mirror goes up, it will obviously go up all the way (there is no partial mirror up). This will then cut out the image from the viewfinder and the light meter which is in the back of the pentaprism.
The mirror to the AF module is also part of primary meter assembly and works with it w/ no independent control.
It completely blacks out the viewfinder in the flipping phase upon green button press. The actual stop-down of blades seem to appear before the flipping and shutter is revised after the mirror flipping. I hope another K-x user can jump in to share the observation. I am sure I am not the only one trying stop-down metering with M lenses.

See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/87660-green-button...fferently.html

Hin
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I would agree with that, except that I find ISO 3200 shots from the K-x do need a fair amount of work. I suppose we all have varying levels of tolerance for noise, and I do shoot raw, so I may be dealing with them at a less processed phase. I will say that the ISO 1600 shots from the K-x are nicer than anything I've seen and seldom need a visit from the Noise Ninja. Treat them with a few basic ACR settings, and they are good to go.
Gene, thank you for your comment. Have you tried green button for stop-down metering in K-x on M lenses and do you notice the mirror flipping after the stop-down? My green button is not assigned to "optical preview".

Thanks,
Hin
02-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-x with Long manual lens

I want to report back with few test shots in using K-x on long manual lens

Pentax K-x and Tokina SD 400mm f/5.6
MF lens with A setting

I used the above setup to shoot these pictures hand-held. It is harder to do than that with K20D but results are quite satisfactory.

It is harder to hand hold the shot as the lens is heavy, though lighter as compared to other 400mm. The hand-grip in K-x can't match up with the K20D and it is NOT well balanced when I shoot K-x with long and heavy lens. The K-x goes well with the Pentax DA* 50-135mm, but for heavier and longer zoom as the Tokina SD 400mm f/5.6, I have a much harder time to hand hold the shots without blur.

One thing that helps me a bit is the Op/tech neck strap. It goes really well with the K-x, I high recommend the neck strap.

Regards,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-18-2010 at 07:20 PM.
02-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #104
Veteran Member

A lil off topic but how the hell do you keep your gear so clean?!? btw i enjoy reading your site(s)
02-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Gene, thank you for your comment. Have you tried green button for stop-down metering in K-x on M lenses and do you notice the mirror flipping after the stop-down? My green button is not assigned to "optical preview".

Thanks,
Hin
I have not actually shot M lenses on the K-x. I am too wedded to the focus aids and finders on my other bodies.

For the K-x I am too smitten with the pancake primes. I've gone so far as to buy the DA70 when I already have and like the FA77, just because I like the pancake package with this body so much.

I bascially keep my K10d body set up for completely manual operation, and keep the M and K lenses on that body. That way, I don't forget to reset the other bodies. I totally agree with you about handholding this camera with a long lens. I find that even with a light-ish zoom like the DA 55-300, I don't get handheld shots that match the K20d. My experience is very similar to yours all the way around.

I am totally addicted to the compact package that performs well in low light for indoor people shots.