Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x White-balance question

Hello everyone! I have a question regarding the AWB performance of the K-x. I took these two pictures within two seconds however one looks noticably colder than the other.

Both taken with the FA50 f2.5 1/60 iso1600 within a second or two. Natural lighting coming from the terrace door. WB set to auto.

Any ideas what caused the difference?

Thanks Andras

12-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Any chance you can supply the exif data for each of the photos? Is it possible that while you had exposure and focus locked a cloud came between the sun and your window (or was there and left)?
12-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
Any chance you can supply the exif data for each of the photos? Is it possible that while you had exposure and focus locked a cloud came between the sun and your window (or was there and left)?
No today it's total grey overcast. And snow. BTW here is the link to the flickr page. There is no other picture there apart from these two.

Flickr: andras1977's Photostream

Thanks Andras
12-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The exif doesn't show from the photos using the link. Are these crops from a larger image? It's hard to tell why the WB would be different between two shots taken seconds apart.

12-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
The exif doesn't show from the photos using the link. Are these crops from a larger image? It's hard to tell why the WB would be different between two shots taken seconds apart.
No crops. If you open the picture in the flickr and go to the "more properties" you get to the exif data I guess. I'm not sure

Andras
12-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Everything that matters in the EXIFs are the same. Mystery. I guess the AWB made a different guess on each shot.
12-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Look at the "autocorrection of white balance" in menu.
Something like this. I read a thread in russian forum about the same problem in K-7.

12-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have had that happen to me indoors 3000k, when doing a 4fps run it could be spot on 3 pictures and beeing set to 5000k for one. I shoot in raw, so I havent bothered with it.
12-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

AWB is always just a guess based on the colors the cameras sees. If nything at all changes about the scene - even the slightest thing it could affect the results. Here, the framing and or hands moved so that the ratio of skin to plate changed; I'm guessing that's what did it - although I'm surprised it made *as much* difference as it did.

Basically, if you care about WB, you don't let the camera choose it for you. AWB is fine if you shoot RAW and can correct it later, but if you shoot JPEG and differences like this matter, then you need to set it yourself, because AWB is really just a guessing game.
12-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback!

Andras
12-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've also had this problem, like it was jumping between strong and weak tungsten (or something else) where the source of lighting was only tungsten and did not change. Didn't notice it with a K2000 or K10D, I'd be interested to see if most K-x users experience this or if K-7 users do to.

Mildly annoying, but I shoot in RAW.
12-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Mildly annoying, but I shoot in RAW.
I shoot RAW too-yes it's mildly annoying. I'm just rather curious. It's good to know what's going on in your camera. Also noticed that shooting in the house under natural lighting conditions (so the windows are the light sources)some areas where the light is reflected ( for example floor) can look very cold (blue) on the picture.

Andras
01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I was outside under a cloudy sky today practicing with the K-x and an M50 1.7 lens. I was taking shots of some green painted wood and was not looking at each shot. Then I noticed one where the green looked almost brown! What? I thought the LCD colors were off or something - I switched from AWB to 'sunlight' and the color looked correct. Still I was surprised and dissappointed at how far off Auto was...outside! Does that mean I really can't trust it? I have never really worried about it on P&S camras. Should I carry around a piece of white copy paper with me? I thought this tended to be more of an issue inside under artificial light.
01-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It's an issue with an camera any time a scene is dominated by one color. The camera sees that color and has absolutely no wy of determining if the objects in the scene really are that color or if it just looks that way because the *light* is that color. No matter which way it guesses, it is going to be right sometimes and wrong sometimes.