Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

recording movie on k7

Problem: overheating sensor stops the recording on a movie after 30-40 seconds. Any suggestions? I am using Panasonic 8GB class 10 card. Or I am not on the right settings?
thank you

12-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deltchevi Quote
Problem: overheating sensor stops the recording on a movie after 30-40 seconds. Any suggestions? I am using Panasonic 8GB class 10 card. Or I am not on the right settings?
thank you
I've noticed what's presumably the same issue. Watching the rear screen, a busy cursor appears and that's the end of the recording. So far I've stuck with the default settings. I haven't tried it at a lower resolution.

I didn't actually see any warnings so I wondered if it was maybe the SD card I was using being too slow. I'm currently using an 8GB micro SD card (Sandisk) in an SD adapter and have been looking at fast types on Amazon. One of the locations I tried to make a movie in was only just above freezing so I'm not convinced it's an overheating issue.

I particularly fancied an HD video using the fisheye lens from moving escalators but it wasn't to be.
12-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henniker Quote
I've noticed what's presumably the same issue. Watching the rear screen, a busy cursor appears and that's the end of the recording. So far I've stuck with the default settings. I haven't tried it at a lower resolution.

I didn't actually see any warnings so I wondered if it was maybe the SD card I was using being too slow. I'm currently using an 8GB micro SD card (Sandisk) in an SD adapter and have been looking at fast types on Amazon. One of the locations I tried to make a movie in was only just above freezing so I'm not convinced it's an overheating issue.

I particularly fancied an HD video using the fisheye lens from moving escalators but it wasn't to be.
(quoting myself) I see there's another thread about this topic. I just swapped the microSD card in my K7 for a Sandisk Extreme III 4GB and the movie kept recording until I pressed the shutter release button again. I've ordered an 8GB one of the same type. Should be adequate for loads of raw images + the occasional HD video.
12-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just to be sure, is the rear LCD showing the thermometer icon before it stops the recording? If not, then your problem is probably due to the memory card; the camera stops recording if your memory card can't keep up (don't let the Class number fool you). If you are seeing the thermometer icon, then maybe something is up with your sensor. Unless the sensor has been on video mode for 10+ minutes immediately prior to recording or you're in some very hot room, the sensor shouldn't heat up so fast.

- Jason

12-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What would be a good memory card for HD recording on k7?
12-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Banned

I use a 16GB Sandisk Extreme 30mb/sec SDHC card and never had a problem. I seen the heat warning once after shooting three 9min 30 sec 720p *** mode HD video clips in a row.