Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #1

Samsung GX-20 CMOS sensor

I don't understand why so many people are complaining about high ISO on Pentax K-20/Samsung GX-20, because it's the best you can get with any APS-C DSLR out there...Well at least in RAW mode.
I really love the Samsung 14,6 Mpix sensor, it has outstanding colors, very good resolution and very very low noise (for an APS-C).
It's quit interesting how such a good sensor can give so poor jpg results (unfortunately)...Well, counting the low price, some sacrifices must be made.

The images are unmodified RAW files, converted with Lightroom and cropped in Photoshop, the first image it is a good case scenario (with plenty of light), the image in the left is a 1:1 unprocessed RAW with no NR applied and in the right the same image but with some color NR applied; the second image is taken at night with the worst possible noise in the shadows (the image in the left is without NR and the one in the right with color NR applied). I cross my hearth, the nose/detail ratio is outstanding for the Samsung GX-20 sensor, and I also made a lot of comparison wit the excellent sensor form Kx and the results are very similar at ISO 800,1600 and 3200 (I'm open for other opinions).

I opend this Thread for Samsung GX-20 owners who want to get the best out of their camera, and compare the results with Canikon completion...

Attached Images

Last edited by seliscan; 12-20-2009 at 05:46 AM.
12-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seliscan Quote
I don't understand why so many people are complaining about high ISO on Pentax K-20/Samsung GX-20, because it's the best you can get with any APS-C DSLR out there...

Aha, I dont share your opinion. never....
12-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
A fear comparison between Samsung and Nikon D300 with the exact same settings at the same time: ISO 1600, 1/8 sec, f/8, 24 mm zoom and 5000 K wb.

From my point of view, Nikon has more noise and a little bit more per pixel sharpness (possible because of the stronger AA filter in the Samsung camera). As a witness for the scene, the colors are almost 100% accurate on the Samsung (as my eyes have seen the scene).
Attached Images