Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #1

Please need help with my new k-x

Hi,

I am new to the Pentax world, and today I bought a k-x.
Coming from Olympus, I have a bunch of strobist equipment I used with my Oly gear. I have a couple of SB-20's and a couple of Sunpaks used in manual mode.

Here's the problem.

In MANUAL mode, I can't get the external flash to fire.
I have the PT-04 chinese wireless trigger (with 4 receivers) that worked very well with my Olympus camera. When installed on the hot shoe of my new k-x, it will fire in all modes EXCEPT MANUAL mode
I makes no sense to me. Why would it fire in Aperture priority mode and keep the shutter open long after the flash was triggered blurring my image. And, of course, I can't change the shutter speed in A mode. When it fires in the sutter priority mode, I can set it to the max sync speed of 180 (200 actually) but then my aperture setting is screwed up and I get blown images.

Did I miss some setting somewhere? I hope that's it 'cause otherwise it will be a bummer and I will have to return the camera.

I hope someone will enlightned me. Thank you.

12-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello,

I know I took some pics the other day using my pt-04 w/ the k-x and all was well but I wasn't sure what settings I had used. So I just tossed it on my cam and used my Pentax flash af360 and fired off 3 test shots and the flash fired every time. I remember I was having some diffuculty a while back and I found that I had not tightened the transmitter tight enough to the body. Flash mode was manual discharge...

I don't know what else to suggest... all I know is mine works w/ the pt-04.

Good luck!
12-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by moSIN Quote
Hi,
I makes no sense to me. Why would it fire in Aperture priority mode and keep the shutter open long after the flash was triggered blurring my image.
This is because the camera and flash can't communicate. Without P-TTL, the hotshoe just acts as a dumb sync terminal for triggering a flash. Any of the automatic modes (P, Av, Tv) require P-TTL if you want to use flash properly in those modes. The alternative is to set your flash to Auto, where it uses its own sensor to control flash output.

QuoteQuote:
And, of course, I can't change the shutter speed in A mode. When it fires in the sutter priority mode, I can set it to the max sync speed of 180 (200 actually) but then my aperture setting is screwed up and I get blown images.
See above

QuoteQuote:
Did I miss some setting somewhere? I hope that's it 'cause otherwise it will be a bummer and I will have to return the camera.
I've used those PT-04 triggers before and they're crap. The ones I owned had missed actuations and issues reaching the 1/180 max sync speed of my camera; if at 1/180, the frame would have a black bar. I had to slow the shutter speed down to 1/120 to get the trigger to properly sync. If you're having issues getting the trigger to work at 1/180, try slowing the shutter speed down. I currently use FlashWaves and the Yongnuo triggers with my K-x, and they work okay at 1/160 in manual.

- Jason
12-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Hello,

I know I took some pics the other day using my pt-04 w/ the k-x and all was well but I wasn't sure what settings I had used. So I just tossed it on my cam and used my Pentax flash af360 and fired off 3 test shots and the flash fired every time. I remember I was having some diffuculty a while back and I found that I had not tightened the transmitter tight enough to the body. Flash mode was manual discharge...

I don't know what else to suggest... all I know is mine works w/ the pt-04.

Good luck!
Thank you for your quick response.
I was able to figure it out!
I set the shutter speed at 1/200 and that automatically prevents the flash from firing because it exceeds the maximum flash sync speed of 1/180.
My Olympus E-510 would still fire (which actually saved me one very neat shot) but Pentax has this logic built in, which is perfectly fine by me now that I'm aware of it.
I really AM enjoying the high-ISO performance of this little powerhouse especially after many many hours and thousands of wasted shots with my (now sold) Oly
The Oly has a much nicer feel to it, though. The k-x just ain't pretty, and the plastic looks and feels cheap but as long as I am happy with the results, I really don't care. I didn't enter into this relationship for looks

12-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
This is because the camera and flash can't communicate. Without P-TTL, the hotshoe just acts as a dumb sync terminal for triggering a flash. Any of the automatic modes (P, Av, Tv) require P-TTL if you want to use flash properly in those modes. The alternative is to set your flash to Auto, where it uses its own sensor to control flash output.

See above

I've used those PT-04 triggers before and they're crap. The ones I owned had missed actuations and issues reaching the 1/180 max sync speed of my camera; if at 1/180, the frame would have a black bar. I had to slow the shutter speed down to 1/120 to get the trigger to properly sync. If you're having issues getting the trigger to work at 1/180, try slowing the shutter speed down. I currently use FlashWaves and the Yongnuo triggers with my K-x, and they work okay at 1/160 in manual.

- Jason
Thanks, Jason.

Out of several thousand actualtions on the Oly body, the PT-04 failed to fire twice, and in both occasions I accidentally flipped the channel switch so it was 100% my error (using up to 4 receivers at a time). For the price, can't really find any fault with them.

No problem with syncing either. My Oly was set to 1/200 (despite max sync speed being 1/180 it would still fire with no black curtain bars).

Thanks for pitching in, though.