Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K7 noise versus the rest question (a different take)

Here it is folks,

I had a k20d in the past, sold it, and recently purchased the kx. While everyone raves about the high iso capabilities, I find that in comparison to the detail the k20d is capable of is night and day under the same picture settings and shooting conditions. Maybe I was spoiled by the high IQ I don't know but I yearn for the high IQ that I once had.

To get to the point, yes seems like every review I see describes how bad the noise is on the k7 beyond 1600...BUT in jpegs only except for dpreview. On there they also take into consideration the noise levels in RAW and to my suprise the k7 is right there with the rest in noise levels.

To anyone out there that owns a k7...does anyone have any examples of high iso shots run through noise ninja? I wonder how that would compare to the kx then?

Apparently whatever noise control in the k7 jpegs is much lower even at the highest settings to retain detail and I prefer it that way as you can always reduce the noise, but never get back the detail that was smudged away from the start.

Can anyone help?
Thank you

12-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #2

Credit to pcarfan. K7 ISO 3200 RAW + noiseware

Use the search.

Last edited by erickallemeyn; 12-20-2009 at 07:59 PM.
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow. These software packages are amazing--really levels out this factor between various bodies.
12-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Was that with NoiseWare plug-in or stand-alone? Using Photoshop or Elements or something else?

Do you recommend Noiseware? The plug-in from the NoiseWare site is $49. What is their competition and how does it stack up?

12-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one of mine:
ISO 3200; shot RAW, converted to TIFF then NR with NoisewarePro - Stand-Alone version(medium settings).
K7, Lens: DA*16-50 f2.8 taken at 50mm; 1/250s
Handheld/no flash

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 06:47 PM.
12-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Both of those examples are sweet...thanks to both of you for taking the time to upload those. I know it seems like everyone loves the k-x sensor, but I for one am the exception. Yes the high iso may be excellent, but from my experience the detail usually gained at low iso's just aren't there with the kx. My old canon xsi easily seemed to outresolve the kx when I reviewed some old pics I had.

I've been also wondering if the mark I 18-55mm that comes with the k-x kit could be some of the problem as the k20d I had came with the mark II version...granted the k20 has 2 extra megs on it, but the difference seems greater than 2 mp's could provide. Possibly a combination of the two? I dont know
12-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Am I the only man alive who never sets ISO over 200? I'm using a K10D, but I find anything above 200 to look like total shit... I have enough trouble processing every photo I take for proper leveling, and don't really feel like dealing with noise reduction too.

Do you guys hate Tripods? Are you shooting sports photography by candlelight? Not trust Shake Reduction? What's with all the high ISO stuff?

12-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm glad there are others out there like myself. Granted a higher iso gives you the opportunity to utilize slower glass in low light scenarios or for fast action (sports) but it can't replace good fast glass. Maybe I'm a perfectionist, but I agree with hannican for the most part in that I love the detail in the lower iso, contrast, etc, than at higher iso without the detail...for me anyhow....it just never comes out good enough and this is coming from someone that cant afford some good glass that can autofocus. The closest I'll get is the $300 50mm 1.4 and thats a stretch for low light.

Problem remains though that even with fast glass on the k-x, I'm uncertain if the IQ would really be there. From what I see it looks below what a 10 mp camera would catch with the kit lens.
12-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #9

K-7, ISO 6400 + noiseware:

PentaxForums.com - Jadran's Album: K-7 Test photos - Picture
12-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
Here it is folks,

I had a k20d in the past, sold it, and recently purchased the kx. While everyone raves about the high iso capabilities, I find that in comparison to the detail the k20d is capable of is night and day under the same picture settings and shooting conditions. Maybe I was spoiled by the high IQ I don't know but I yearn for the high IQ that I once had.

To get to the point, yes seems like every review I see describes how bad the noise is on the k7 beyond 1600...BUT in jpegs only except for dpreview. On there they also take into consideration the noise levels in RAW and to my suprise the k7 is right there with the rest in noise levels.
Yep, what you discribe has been discussed in this thread :
The Noise Myth is Over ... thx DPR. [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And Falk also inclosed it in his examination of the two cameras :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/844373-post6.html

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
To anyone out there that owns a k7...does anyone have any examples of high iso shots run through noise ninja? I wonder how that would compare to the kx then?

Apparently whatever noise control in the k7 jpegs is much lower even at the highest settings to retain detail and I prefer it that way as you can always reduce the noise, but never get back the detail that was smudged away from the start.

Can anyone help?
Thank you
Here are some of the higher Iso K7 pictures that I've come across :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/71691-k-7-iso3200-images...rocessing.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=32960496

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32695870

The extra 2.2 MP of the K7 can be of interest to me, as I often need to crop my pictures. And then I need all the resolution I can get, as long as Iso 1600 is still looking good.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 12-21-2009 at 04:10 AM.
12-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Do you guys hate Tripods? Are you shooting sports photography by candlelight? Not trust Shake Reduction? What's with all the high ISO stuff?
Hate tripods, check. Candlelight, sometimes. Shake reduction: good too, but doesn't freeze the subject.
12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Am I the only man alive who never sets ISO over 200? I'm using a K10D, but I find anything above 200 to look like total shit... I have enough trouble processing every photo I take for proper leveling, and don't really feel like dealing with noise reduction too.

Outdoors or shooting a subject that does not move, I'm with you. I'll go as high as 400 on the K20d and 200 on the K10d. However, weddings, parties, plays and events are so much better at ISO 800- 1600, even with the marginal built-in NR of Photoshop. It is the difference between catching the moment and not.
12-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jadran Quote
Thank you.
12-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You think ISO over 200 looks like ”shit” and then you wonder why people want better high ISO?
12-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I try to stay at or below 320.

This includes receptions, but in my left hand is a lightstand with a flash on top ready to be deployed...