Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #1

Unresponsive shutter button

Hi guys, really hope someone can help me with this. I've had the Pentax K100D with a manual 50mm lens for the last three years. I use it almost every day and it's never had any problems until now. I usually use the lithium one time batteries, but have recently started using rechargeable ones. I went to use it today and the shutter button just doesn't do anything. No response, if I push it halfway it still shows the little red focus icon so it's definitely connected, just if I push it all the way down it won't take a picture.

Really can't afford to upgrade! Any ideas?
Thanks so much.

12-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coupl'a possibilities:
Verify there's a good SD card installed.
Go back to a known good set of lithiums.
Verify shutter release without focus lock is ON.
Reset all menu options to basic mode.
H2
12-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums naomirose!
If after trying everything and it still doesn't function, then your shutter mechanism might be the culprit and might need replacing.
It should last 100,000 shutter clicks but there had been reports that they at times fail sooner.
Others yet reported as saying, theirs were still functioning after more than 100,000 clicks.
12-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also try a new set of just AA's, just to make sure that there is not the voltage problem with the re chargeables.

12-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Might have to check whether you've accidentally set the camera to AF-S as it wont fire unless the subject is in focus
12-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Is this an "A" series len and you've accidentally knocked the aperture ring off the "A" position? Or did you perhaps accidentally reset the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function to "Prohibited"? That or being in AF mode strike me as most plausible. If none of those turn out to be it, do you have no other lenses you could test with? Any one you know or any stores with any pentax lenses?
12-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
I just tried to reply but I guess it got lost...as I was saying. I just got some new lithium AA's and put them in, which hasn't changed a thing unfortunately. I've formatted the memory card and reset all the menu settings to the standard which also hasn't changed anything, but now if I hold the 'ok' button and press the shutter release it'll take a photo so obviously the shutter release button's still working.

A few of you have said I need to 'Verify shutter release without focus lock is ON.' how do I do this? I can't find the menu option?

Also tested it with another manual lens a 28mm and still the same problem. thanks again!
12-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #8

The most common reason my K100D doesn't shoot with an old manual lens when I press the shutter is because I have the autofocus switch near the lens mount set to AF rather than MF.

12-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
OH MY GOD. I must have just nudged it! I can't believe I'm so stupid! That was exactly the problem, thankyousomuch!!!
05-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #10

Hello,

Im new to this thread so apologies in advance. I seem to be having the exact same problem but the AF MF switch doesnt seem to fix it.

When switching through the wheel the screen flashes and goes black, I cant even half press the shutter for a response either. I can go through the menu and function displays fine but cannot seem to take a picture.

Any help/adivce will be greatly appreciated.