Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Used K10D from BB Outlet

So I'm in the shopping (researching till I can't read anymore forums cause my head is going to explode) mode and I'm currently looking at two different cameras for a number of reasons. The first being $ and the second functionality. I'm leaning towards the K-x right now because after all I've read it appears to be a very good camera for the price and will more than suite my needs right now, plus it is the newest product in Pentax's line up and gives me a warranty. However, I'm wondering as I get more involved from moving from film to digital will I need a camera more robust (i.e.-weathersealing, more external options on camera.. etc.)?

So my dilemma at this point is to look at the K10D on BB Outlet (factory refurb) at a great price $379 w/o lens or get K-x kits for roughly $500 depending on who I buy it from and which discounts are available? The only thing I can see as a disadvantage with the K10D is I would have to buy a lens...

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations from someone who has both cameras and can give some insight to a budget shopper!!

Thanks in advance.

12-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, you can pick up the WR 18-55mm kit lens (or at least you could within the last month) for $129 (price may be back up since then), giving you the same kit as a K-x for roughly the same cost.

That said, unless you absolutely need quick access to functions such as metering, dual dials, TAv mode, and the weather sealing is a must, I would choose the K-x.

The K-x is simply a significant step up in new function, faster FPS, better low light AF, faster AF, better low ISO capability (I'm sure you've read the list!). Unless you absolutely need the sealing, and change your camera settings very often (they are still pretty accessible in the Kx as well), I think the K-x is the obvious choice, especially with prices for the single lens kit already sub-$500.
12-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
PxPaulx...you make a good argument. I think I could live with the limited direct controls on the K-x but in the back of my mind I'm always wondering..."what if"...

One question for you, what has your experience been with the white K-x? Is it difficult to be inconspicuous with the white color?
12-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It is a small camera, and doesn't stick out a whole lot on its own...it does invite a few comments, all positive so far (and nothing about Pentax specifically) - I did take it to national camera when I bought a 50mm lens a few weeks ago, the employees all loved the look (they only have the black version in stock there). I like the white color; it isn't totally matte, but not really shiny either. The finish is smooth but not slick, not the same texture as previous Pentax dslrs (or the black model, which has the classic textured black plastic of previous models).

12-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again for the insight...