Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Camera shake at 1/120 second? Unless he has some sort of disability ... no freakin way. It's not even subtle or just soft, it's an absolute mess.
I agree. As a very happy K-x user who enjoys the fantastic high iso performance together with the vastly improved AF responsiveness this "camera shake theory"is completely unbeleivable for me. There is no evidence of any camera shake induced IQ degradations on my iso1600 pictures when using the above mentioned shutter speeds.

This phenomena is discussed on other forums as well. It's worth looking at them. Different approach to the problem:

k-x vs k10 at low ISO: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I still have the opinion that this camera shines at high iso but my K200D is noticeably better at iso 100-400.

My favourite picture taken with the K-x iso1600 1/160

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 12-23-2009 at 11:08 AM.
12-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Did you disable SR? It's not compatible with a tripod. A good way to do a test shot on a tripod is to use 2s lockup, because it automatically disables SR and allows the camera to stabilize after you hit the shutter.
Yes, I turned off SR. (actually tried with and without, as I was in test mode.)

I tested both the timer w/ 2s delay and remote shutter w/ 3s delay. Both disable SR and results are similar.
12-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote

er1kksen, i kno wit's a big ask this time of year but do you have any back to backs? i.e. same image at 1/120th and one at 1/1000 for e.g. If what you're saying is true, well, bit of a bombshell.
I would have some up by now but Im typing this from a computer in a hostel in Peru; when I return next month Ill get on it.

I wouldnt really call it a bombshell. Its easy enough to work around, it simply requires being conscious of your exposure (which you should try to be anyways). Given the incredibly flexible sensitivity of the K-x its not hard to either alter the ISO or change the aperture to get a "safe" shutter speed, or simply hit the info button to call up the easy menu and disable SR. SR is really at its most useful at speeds below 1/60th, anyways, so if your particular sample displays this issue (like mine) it may be better to simply leave SR off in good light and only turn it on for dark situations. After all, myself and many others managed to get sharp shots way down to 1/30th before SR was invented.
12-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
I agree. As a very happy K-x user who enjoys the fantastic high iso performance together with the vastly improved AF responsiveness this "camera shake theory"is completely unbeleivable for me. There is no evidence of any camera shake induced IQ degradations on my iso1600 pictures when using the above mentioned shutter speeds.

This phenomena is discussed on other forums as well. It's worth looking at them. Different approach to the problem:

k-x vs k10 at low ISO: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Andras
Please dont be so quick to dismiss: as stated, this may be affecting only certain samples of the camera. I am also a very happy K-x user; it may be my favorite camera yet (and Ive had a decent number ). But whether or not you find this idea "believable," I have no choice but to believe it when I see it in my images.

The issue discussed in the linked thread is completely different. I also initially experienced discontent with the K-xs "mushy" low-ISO image quality, and then I downloaded the LR3 beta and all my complaints dissapeared. :-) It can still be a little textured at low ISO as compared to older CCD designs, but the incredibly clean shadow range leads me to feel that its also got the best low-ISO image quality of any digital camera Ive used (including the Canon 40D, known for low noise, and the K20D, which had low noise but no one seemed to know it).

12-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #50
Site Supporter

K-x soft images. i've solved MY problem

i was also wondering about my K-x's softness, and i've found my problem.
ME and my lens.

the K-x is definitely capable of pretty sharp images. I was comparing my kx with my wife's k200 with a similar 18-250 lens (pentax vs tamron).

the K-x's higher resolution would tend to show more of a lens' limitation, i think.

so while i was wondering if my k-x was the issue, but the issue was me.

SR on or off didn't seem to affect the shots.

here are a few crops

F5.6

F8 is even better
12-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Can't see them opiedog.
12-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #52
Site Supporter

whoops. try that now.

these are straight off the camera jpegs, no pp. used the flash

i think that's pretty sharp and good details.

btw, how do you like your tamron 10-24?

Last edited by opiedog; 12-25-2009 at 07:49 AM.
12-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #53

I think I wanted too much from a camera with good high iso. At first I tough that it could replace a flash, but there are details that just wont show without a flash if a room is somewhat dark (let's say 2x60w in a medium room). For example, I cannot get full details eyebrows at 50mm from someone sitting at 4 meters from me because there is just no light coming from there. When I use the flash, there is just so much light that everything reflects it, skin under eyebrows, fine texture on dark clothes and other details that I don't even see with my own eyes.
In fact, I expected my lenses to see thing I could even see because it was too dark.
I got confused between short time exposition and low light magic.

12-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #54
Site Supporter

you're absolutely right. if there is no light in certain parts of the photo, even high ISO can't do that kind of magic to bring out the detail.

flash has its uses as well.

here's another at f5.6 iso 100. the details are definitely there!

12-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #55

I had compared images with a FA 50mm f1.4 wide open in both K2000 and K-x, I found at wide open f1.4, the K-x is much sharper than the K2000. The only drawback is the inaccurate battery indicator.
12-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #56
Site Supporter

did you upgrade the firmware to 1.01? that should fix the battery issue.
01-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Did you figure out the reason of soft pictures in the test?

Probably I will buy a Pentax K-x, and I am reading a lot about it.
01-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
This may in fact be the problem: I have noticed that in photographs taken at shutter speeds of 1/100, 1/120, and all the way up until 1/200 show distinct motion blur. With the SR switched OFF this does not occur, so it is clearly a problem with the SR overcompensating at these shutter speeds, for whatever reason. Pentax should be able to fix this via firmware.

That aside, I also had a lot of problems with softness when I first got my K-x. Since then, Ive found that I simply need to be more careful with my shooting technique, keep the shutter speeds between 1/25 and 1/80 or 1/250 to 1/6000, and use the smallest practical aperture with the kit lens.
What is that for a camera that you are not allowed to use around 1/125 s?
01-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Thankfully my K-x or my handshake function does not exhibit this problem.

Took a couple pictures at 1/125, 45mm on the kit lens, f/9. They are about the same.
01-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #60
Pentaxian

One way to test the overcompensating SR theory would be to take a non K-x and a manual lens and enter focal lengths larger and smaller than the actual focal length. Thus fooled, the SR system will under or overcompensate for camera shake, and you could compare the output to see if there are similarities to the troubled K-x cameras out there.