Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bnorikane Quote
Bob,

Your Flickr shots are quite sharp! My Kx w/ 18-55 are not as sharp (jpegs, no PP), even shot on tripod.

Are yours raw? I may have to get serious about raw.

Thanks,

Bruce
Are you stopping down the kit lens?

12-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Your Flickr shots are quite sharp! My Kx w/ 18-55 are not as sharp (jpegs, no PP), even shot on tripod.

Are yours raw? I may have to get serious about raw.
Shooting RAW doesn't magically make pictures sharper. It does allow for greater flexibility in sharpening should you wish to do take advantage of that in PP, but it should be perfectly possible to get sharp results from JPEG. Sharpness is much more function of shooting technique and lens used than what format you shot or what PP technique you used.
12-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok, here is an example of my house and a crop.

12-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #34

Original Poster
Lets try this again K-x pics of house with crop
Flickr Photo Download: k-x-IMGP0122_crop

Flickr Photo Download: k-x IMGP0122

k20d pics of house with crop....notice the edge on the awning compaired to the k-x.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jr_iron/4207756348/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jr_iron/4207756290/sizes/l/

Last edited by harleynitelite; 12-22-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to add all the links
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

There is definite motion blur on the K-x crop.
12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I just LOATHE flickr, the laypout is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate, heaven forbid I find the section that displays the exif. I have NFI why that site is so popular, it's just horrible for viewing images.

I downloaded the photos, something is seriously wrong, the shutter speed is fine so it is not morion blur, you eithe rhave a dud lens or a dud camera, it doesn't even look OOF .... it just looks WRONG.

er1kksen, i kno wit's a big ask this time of year but do you have any back to backs? i.e. same image at 1/120th and one at 1/1000 for e.g. If what you're saying is true, well, bit of a bombshell.
12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I agree with deadwolfbones. Despite the relatively high apparent shutter speed, you must have been unusually unsteady in holding the camera, because that's camera shake, pure and simple. You can see the double outlines very clearly on all edges.

12-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I agree with deadwolfbones. Despite the relatively high apparent shutter speed, you must have been unusually unsteady in holding the camera, because that's camera shake, pure and simple. You can see the double outlines very clearly on all edges.
Yep.

Someone in another thread was saying that between like 1/80s and 1/250s the K-x Shake Reduction system sometimes maybe overcompensates for movement, which might be the problem here.

edit: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/854645-post48.html
12-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Are you stopping down the kit lens?
yes, down to f/14 and smaller.

and using a tripod, and using a prime - DA 40mm.

I get some sharp shots with the kit lens, the DA and with a 18-250, but not as sharp as Bob's.
12-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #40
Forum Member

Shooting RAW doesn't magically make pictures sharper. It does allow for greater flexibility in sharpening should you wish to do take advantage of that in PP, but it should be perfectly possible to get sharp results from JPEG. Sharpness is much more function of shooting technique and lens used than what format you shot or what PP technique you used.
I know, and until this camera, I only used raw for critical color problems.

When I needed a crisp shot, I used a tripod, focused carefully, used middle apertures, middle of the zoom range, remote shutter release, set exposure with a grey card and used low ISO.

but several posts here and on DPreview, claim that the Kx jpeg engine does not produce sharp results compared to raw files. I didn't really pursue that line, but after seeing Bob's nice shots, I thought I should compare raw files to jpegs, and see if that makes a difference.
12-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #41

Original Poster
As for camera shake in the example pics I can say that even before i took those I thought about it and deliberately ensured I moved as little as possible even to the point of holding my breath. I have 5 different shots all with similar results with various different settings (aperature, iso, zoom, and in different modes) except I never varied the shutter speed as I thought 1/100 and up would be sufficient to prevent camera shake.

I took these with and without the filter and I know the lens is clean b/c these were taken on the second day I owned the camera and closely inspected the lens.

The idea of the sensor antishake overcompensating is an interesting one especially since it seems others are having similar issues.
12-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

yes, down to f/14 and smaller.
Then you passed the point of max sharpness - that would have been back around f/8. It's all downhill after that.
12-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Camera shake at 1/120 second? Unless he has some sort of disability ... no freakin way. It's not even subtle or just soft, it's an absolute mess.

Something is not right, get the camera up on a tripod with a remote release and see what happens. Also take a few hand held with the SR turned off.
12-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #44
Forum Member

Then you passed the point of max sharpness - that would have been back around f/8. It's all downhill after that.
Thanks Marc. As you can tell, I'm still experimenting and learning. Trying to get a good feel for the new camera and lenses.

I took a series (on tripod to rule out bad holding technique) to see what I could get with different apertures at different focal lengths. I was trying to get a feel for how big the lens sweet spot is, and see the trade off with greater DOF as I stopped down.

I found f/8 is plenty for two people talking (head and shoulders), even if one is a foot or two closer, but f/14 helps if one is back aways.

I'm trying to improve my technique, so my Christmas shots are better than my Thanksgiving ones when I was new to DSLR's.

With all the help here, and practice, I'm hopeful.
12-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I took a series (on tripod to rule out bad holding technique)
Did you disable SR? It's not compatible with a tripod. A good way to do a test shot on a tripod is to use 2s lockup, because it automatically disables SR and allows the camera to stabilize after you hit the shutter.