Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Pentax K-x with Super Takumar 50mm f1.4

I wanted to get a little advice. I just started using a DSLR and I'm trying to shoot with an old Super Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 lens. Please explain why without a flash everything looks yellow?

They were both taken with 1/60 shutter speed
ISO 1600

Without Flash F/1.4

With Flash Stopped down to F/16 and flash at -0.7

Attached Images

12-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Set white balance away from WB-flash - which makes photos without flash look "yellow".
Also note that super-tak 50/1.4 outputs warmer pictures than other lenses - especially if its elements have yellowed.
12-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White balance.

Select tungsten (indoor incandescent) or use a WB card to set a custom one. AWB (if you're using that) on most cameras does not correct completely for tungsten lighting (K-x and K-7 have the option to change that)
12-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The real answer is, the pictures tken under tungsten lighting (eg, ordinary household bulbs) look yellow because tungsten light *is* yellow. Our eyes are just pretty good at adjusting to this and tricking our braining into not seeing how yellow it really is. But it's still pretty plainly obvious at dusk if you step outside the house, let your eyes adjust to the lighting out there, then look in your window. Everything inside looks yellow until you stare into the window long enough and your eyes adjust again. Presumably you've noticed this before.

Anyhow, when people talk about setitng white balance, what this does is allow the camera to play the same trick that your eyes and brain do to fool you into thinking the scene is *not* in fact mostly yellow.

12-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the info.
The yellow of the household lights is something I've really never noticed.

Marc, I read another thread you were involved in, regarding setting up the camera to use manual lenses. I didn't do anything other than put the adapter ring in and screw on the lens. (insert rookie move here) ... So when I change the settings.

Will that make the camera and lens perform better?

Could my lens have yellowed?

It just seems that (and you've told me on another post) a 50mm f1.4 should work great indoors.
12-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Twix Quote
Thanks guys for the info.
The yellow of the household lights is something I've really never noticed.

Marc, I read another thread you were involved in, regarding setting up the camera to use manual lenses. I didn't do anything other than put the adapter ring in and screw on the lens. (insert rookie move here) ... So when I change the settings.

It just seems that (and you've told me on another post) a 50mm f1.4 should work great indoors.
Well, I am no Marc. But I have been playing with manuals for a bit. The way people are telling if the lens has yellowed is to look through it off camera on a white sheet of paper. Not sure what "yellow" is considered too yellow though.

As far as camera settings, you have to change custom menu opt 22 to allow aperture ring and shoot M mode.

the expos comp will set shutter for you once you rotate the F ring on the lens.

The green button does the same. But, sometime, it is useful for the green button to function as something else. This way, you don't waste the green button when expos comp will serve the same purpose.

I think this is everything...
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looking at the photo taken with the flash, I'd say you have a yellowed Tak like mine is. There are ways you should be able to get rid of that (rear element towards direct sunlight for a very long time or an artificial UV light for a much longer time), though I didn't have the patience for it. Makes a terrific black & white lens with a built in yellow filter
12-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Twix Quote

No. The settings you are referring to are for manual *K-mount* lenses, not manual *screw mount* lenses.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, but it's still mostly going to be about the white balance. Like I said, tungsten light really *is* yellow. You have to explicitly tell the camera you don't want it to capture the scene as it actually is, but instead as your eyes trick you into seeing it. If the yellow you were seeing was fro the lens, it would have affected the flash shot too.

12-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Informal test I did for another forum member.

Yellowed Super Takumar 50/1.4 vs SMC M 50/1.7 both at f/2...tripod, all that.

Once again...informal. I know people will want to tear this apart...informal.

Which is which?

The difference really isn't that significant. You can tell there is a difference, but it's not something that would keep me up at night.