Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #1

upgrade from Pentax K100d

Hi everyone,

Well after searching the forum for hours on end and reading multiple posts, I thought i'd just add my own. I currently have a K100d and an assortment of lenses. I've been thinking about upgrading my camera for a while now, but am unsure which to get. Obvoiusly the main choices right now are the Kx and K7. I understand that the K7 is supposed to be a more advanced camera, but I think upgrading from my current one both would be significantly better.

My biggest dislike with the K100d is the SLOW autofocus in low lighting. I've read that this seems to be a problem with pentax, but i would assume the both these newer cameras should be significantly better than mine correct?

I've recently been asked by some friends to take photos at their wedding as well as been doing some baby photographs so I definately need an upgrade.

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i'm having alot of trouble deciding!

Thank you!

12-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the K-x and K-7 are leagues ahead of the K100D in AF speed and low-light performance.
The K-7, though, has an AF-assist lamp, which is an added bonus for low-light situations.
I think both are fine for your purposes, so weigh up the costs of each camera (K-7 > K-x) and consider each camera's features. The forum's camera review database is a handy resource for this.
Enjoy choosing.
12-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

I'm in exactly the same situation. I have a K100D. As I mentioned in a seaparate thread regarding "Autofocus", that is one of my main considerations. That feature definitely leads me to the K7 vs the K-X. There are many other features the K7 has that makes that one worth the additional price to me.

As for the rare occasions that really high ISO may be required (1600 or above), a $49 piece of noise software and 10 minutes of time will fix that.
12-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

About 9 months ago, just before the K7 came out, I was in the same position. the K20 had also just dropped in price. Knowing that it was going to be at least another 12 months until the K7 broke the $1K mark, I went for the K20. Its a wonderful choice for me, however there is some baggage associated with it. The lack of an autofocus lamp, and its still a bit slow on AF. If I had the choice again at this time, it would be a difficult decision to either go for the K7 or wait for the K8 (?) [and if you do that then your back to the price barrier].

There is a lot to be said for moving from the K100 to the K7 - and to me the question is, are you satisfied with the user controls on the K100 or want additional body controls (go for the K7). I, myself like the second wheel on the K20 very much, and makes life much simpler, so it would be the K7....

12-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

See my sig for details but I had the 100D and went to the 20D, I cannot describe the difference. The 100D feels about 25 years old, it's achingly slow to do the simplest task, the 20D is a rocketship. $600 onth emarketplace, bargain if you askme.
12-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I am in the same spot. I have a k100d super and after examining a friend's k-x, I am starting to thnk of upgrading.
My question is this: since I use MF frequently, and I can get a k10 cheap for the pentaprism- is there any reason to consider the k20, kx, or k7?

Paul
12-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes Paul, if you crop significantly or print large or want to use high ISO often (above ISO 800), the K20D and newer cams offer useful steps above the K10D.

The K10D is, I believe, best of all of them for long exposures; and the K100D is best for IR photography.