Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #1

K-7, Full Frame vs. 645D Medium Format?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Some points of discussion and questions...

Some say Pentax will release a 645D 1.5x crop factor Medium Format digital camera in 2010.

Should this affect my buying decision of a K-7 or a future Full Frame Pentax?

I never had a Medium Format camera. Is it hugely better than a 35mm or just different or for special purposes (what are they)? Is a Medium Format something to be carried around and used everyday? Or is it too heavy or the lenses too few or too expensive? I'm trying to see how a Medium Format digital camera will eventually fit into my photography... having never used one or studied the facts of one.

Also...

Think Pentax will have a FF in 2011?

Some say the Medium Format will kill the FF... but I can't believe that. I'd think Pentax would be fools not to have a FF in 2011...

Anyway... just trying to learn more about the uses of a Medium Format vs. a future FF or K-7.

12-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #2

Neither a 35mm nor medium format DSLR are available from Pentax. Until and if they do nobody knows what their characteristics will be and what they will be best suited for. There have been many medium format cameras with widely different characteristics and uses - so generalisation isn't possible.
12-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are asking the question, then you don't need it. Medium format is a really good format for specific things. It is good for studio work and landscape in particular. On the other hand, it is quite a bit bigger than an APS-C camera and more costly (probably on a factor of 10). If you want to try medium format, buy an older film medium format camera and see how it works for you. I want to say that a Pentax 645 will sell in the 200-300 range with a 55 mm lens.

Anyway for most things that common folks are interested in, the K7 will be a lot better.
12-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #4

I would never allow a decision to be delayed by what "might" come along. For a variety of reasons I waited until the K7 came along to decide whether or not I wanted to buy a K20. I even waited until I had read a lot of comments from users. The K7 existed though.

12-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Banned

If Pentax comes out with a FF DSLR in 2011 it should sell in the $2,000 range and use any of the 35mm/FF K-mount lenses out there. The 645D will be in the $10,000 range with lenses selling for 2x what K-mount lenses sell for. If you want to get into MF today get a Pentax 67 II and use Fujichrome Velvia.
Pentax 67 II Film Camera Sample Photos and Specifications

Pentax 67 II kit ~ penta prism 105 f/2.4 - eBay (item 130352938241 end time Dec-23-09 20:54:05 PST)
12-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I can really only comment on what's out there now, and that's the k-7. FF/645d are dreams/specs on paper and nothing more right now. The k-7 is a great, tough walk-around camera which you can carry with you pretty much anywhere you go. From the proto-types, I don't see the 645d being a camera you just have with you....it's a tool you choose to bring on specific outings (at least, that's my POV). FF has only been speculated on so far, so I don't & wouldn't hold out for that at all.

Just my 0.02.