Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Kx - MLU w/ bracketing?

Is there a way to use mirror lockup (MLU) and auto-bracketing at the same time on a Kx?

As far as I can tell, MLU is available through the 2 second timer or 3 second remote.
Bracketing, timer and remote are drive options and are mutually exclusive.

I often shoot outside on a tripod and use a wireless remote. I'd like to use remote with MLU and auto-bracketing.

Kx is my first DSLR. I've shot a lot on tripod w/ Olympus C8080 which had no mirror. I almost always used the remote and bracketed a lot. My only experience with MLU, was with film cameras. I took far fewer shots then, and didn't experiment as much.

Any tips appreciated. Maybe I don't need MLU with bracketing. My critical shots are outdoors, on tripod, at moderate focal lengths (30mm - 55mm). I try to keep my shutter speeds up over 1/200 s.

It's also possible that I don't need bracketing. Although I get a lot of underexposed shots with the Kx, it has enough DR that I can fix the shot in PP.

12-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Theres no reason to bracket once you can compose the shot at set the camera properly. Sounds like you need to practice metering.
12-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
Theres no reason to bracket once you can compose the shot at set the camera properly. Sounds like you need to practice metering.
No doubt I could get better at metering, especially correcting exposure comp by eye. I use a grey card when I can, and I check histograms after test shots, but I shoot outside and light can change quickly as clouds go by. Sometimes the clouds are quite thin, but will change exposure.

In the past, I found bracketing useful, and my other cameras allowed bracketing with the remote shutter release. Exposure bracketing and MLU are two of the features that led me to the Kx over Nikon D40, D3000, D5000.

Last edited by bnorikane; 12-23-2009 at 08:59 AM.
12-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #4

Wrong. Just plain wrong. There are a large number of reasons why bracketing is useful, and that is why the function is found on Pro Cameras as well.

As for what the reasons ARE, I know what MY reasons are, the OP knows HIS reasons. If you don't have any reasons then perhaps my advice would be, there's no reason to leave messages about bracketing advice if you don't use it.

bnorikane, I am interested in the answer to this, since I do just what you want to do on my K10D and K20D. I am pretty sure I saw this issue raised elsewhere and that the K7 actually has the same issue. I wish I could contribute to this, but I will follow the answers with interest.

EDIT: I did find something on dpreview with respect to the K7 that indicates that there is a work-around for the MLU issue for regular exposure bracketing - use live view, with the AF set to contrast-detect AF in the appropriate menu -- this will cause the mirror to remain locked up for the entire sequence. Since your Kx has Live View, perhaps this will work?

sure

Last edited by stand.sure; 12-23-2009 at 09:08 AM.
12-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stand.sure Quote
bnorikane, I am interested in the answer to this, since I do just what you want to do on my K10D and K20D. I am pretty sure I saw this issue raised elsewhere and that the K7 actually has the same issue. I wish I could contribute to this, but I will follow the answers with interest.

sure
Thanks for the heads up on the K7. K20D sounds interesting.

I don't see why bracketing is excluded from the timer and remote modes.
12-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wrong. Just plain wrong. There are a large number of reasons why bracketing is useful, and that is why the function is found on Pro Cameras as well.

As for what the reasons ARE, I know what MY reasons are, the OP knows HIS reasons. If you don't have any reasons then perhaps my advice would be, there's no reason to leave messages about bracketing advice if you don't use it.

EDIT: I did find something on dpreview with respect to the K7 that indicates that there is a work-around for the MLU issue for regular exposure bracketing - use live view, with the AF set to contrast-detect AF in the appropriate menu -- this will cause the mirror to remain locked up for the entire sequence. Since your Kx has Live View, perhaps this will work?

sure
lol, i really don't know anyone that brackets once they've composed and they know how to meter. bracketing is a function of a tool, and it's an easy solution when you can't get the proper exposure (yet); like the thread op.
12-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bracketing is par for the course for HDR photos. I have my USER option on my K20D set for M mode, 2 under to 2 over in 1 stop brackets. All I have to do is just twist the mode dial to USER and I am ready to go. Just because you don't use bracketing doesn't mean it isn't useful.

12-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster

sure
Unlike other Pentax DSLRs, Live View on Kx does not MLU, even with Contrast Detect AF. If shuttles the mirror on every shot. Apparently it's part of the shutter mechanism and can't be changed.
12-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
lol, i really don't know anyone that brackets once they've composed and they know how to meter. bracketing is a function of a tool, and it's an easy solution when you can't get the proper exposure (yet); like the thread op.

LOL - and what's wrong with an easy solution that works?

... or is your way the only way for real photographers?

;-)

Some people use continuous shooting, some don't.
Many like zooms, others love primes.
Some people don't use auto-focus, some go all manual with exposure.
These are all functions of tools that some find useful.

Last edited by bnorikane; 12-24-2009 at 12:39 PM.