Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Have a brand new K20D - some questions

Hi to you All!
After some research, I’ve decided to buy a K20D.
3 days ago I’ve got one with the DA 18-55 mm AL II kit lens (brand new plus 2 year warranty from the official distributor ).
The camera feels great in my hands, just need a little time to get used to the buttons\dials locations.
I have some questions (especially for K20D owners):

1. The lens is a bit noisy when getting into focus, looks normal, but is there a quiet lens (the USM ?)?
2. Is the AWD of the K20D is satisfying, or you customize it (to what values) in order to get better results?
3. I can’t see a difference when using the DOF option, what should I see at the viewfinder when using this option?
4. I have two A 50mm lenses (f2.0 and f1.7), the later have a stuck aperture ring, but I managed to shift it to the ‘A’ position and it work fine. What lens should I use (more), taking that I’ll use it mostly indoors and for some portraits and outdoors?
5. Regarding the problem with the aperture ring – is there a guide on how to disassemble the lens and fix it?

Thanks a lot!

12-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are noisy
For the SDM models you have a choice of DA17-70, DA* 55, DA*16-50, DA*50-135, DA* 60-250, DA*200 and DA*300
You will find that they are quite a step up from the kit lens in both quality and price
Generally AWB will be fine until you get indoors and have mixed lighting.
You should see a darkening of the viewfinder
Use the 50 f1.7, by all accounts a nice lens. Does it actually stop down?
12-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #3

Goldenzebra,

Just wondering, where did you get the K20D from and for how much? Did you get it new?
12-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
The 50 f1.7 works great at all f stops, just if I move the ring, it will be stuck at f8 or f11 and I need to have some force to get it over the "stuck point" and then it's free to move between the f16 and to the 'A' position. Maybe I'll glue it to stay at the 'A', but first I'll try to find a (cheap) way to fix it.
As for the place I've buy it - Israel, brand new for about $786 (at the current rate).

12-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're asking about the DOF preview, this is either set as an optical preview (through the viewfinder) or digital preview (via the LCD screen on the back). Both give you a visual indication as to what in your photo will be in focus with the exposure settings you've got at the time.
12-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #6

Pentax K20D

Good to know that people are still buying K20D! What with the buzz about K7 and Kx!! I bought my K20D with the kit 18-55 AL II lens few days back and paid about $900 Surprisingly the price has since then gone up on Amazon! For me the big reason was the price difference between the K7 & K20D. I did not really fancy the video mode of the K7. However, by the time I purchased the K20D the price differential had reduced significantly Perhaps I would have gone for K7 at this reduced difference. Nevertheless, I am quite happy about the K20D

I am still learning the controls of the K20D. Switching over from the old SF1N to a DSLR is sure taking some time! I have taken few shots with the camera and did not notice any lens noise though. Could be that my SF1N was noisier! Will try the DOF function which was missing in SF1N.

mj