Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's because their card reader they used sucks. Many card readers don't get up to that speed though.

I bought 2 card readers on ebay for $1.50 from different venders. One has a max read/write of 4 MB/s. The other goes up to 20 MB/s with my extreme III 20 MB/s.

My laptop's built in card reader reads at 10 MB/s but writes at like 2 MB/s.

Manual video control would be awesome, I'd love to be able to control the shutter (since there is Av mode already basically), but I find it does a pretty good job of balancing out the shutter and ISO.

One thing I found out is that the video quality settings have minimal effects on the IQ of the video (unless you do PP or stare at gradients). In addition, custom image effects video.

12-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I thought it was their reader, but it's strange that they use such a slow one.
12-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are probably just partially funded by Sandisk who wants people to buy cards with built-in readers or buy their readers.
12-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe, but my readers, that are very fast, 20MB always, are SanDisk, the ones that comes with the 4GB Extreme III cards :P

12-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like the Kx has earned its spot in the charts.
12-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'd have preferred if they included how exactly to select AF points rather than just say you can't see them in the finder. When I first read "there's no AF point indicator in the viewfinder," it was almost a dealbreaker. Once I found out about setting the green button to Center AF Point, I felt comfortable enough to buy the K-x.

Otherwise the IS performance as noted in the review is slight cause for concern. I wonder if Pentax will be able to work that out with a firmware update like they did with the K20D.
12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #22
wll
Veteran Member

Botom line on K-x

It has the sensor the K-7 should have had.

Even in the review it states the K-x is light years ahead of the K-7 in low light.

Pentax, you guys came out with a great little camera. Lets hope the K-8 has a sensor that is at least equal to the K-x.

wll

12-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Have you held the 500D???
Actually not, I haven't touched any of the current canon entry level bodies, but the entry nikons have always felt pretty decent to me. I guess the hearsay about canon having improved the build on their entry level isnt true after all?