Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #1

K-x DPReviewed!

Pentax K-x Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

let's discuss on this topic

12-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #2

Reviewer says:

"To us the lack of visible AF points is the camera's only real drawback but if you can live with this omission you can't go wrong with the Pentax K-x"

I have not received my new K-x yet but I believe this issue has been discussed on this forum and the conclusion was that this only holds true in AF-A mode. Focus points are visible in AF-S & AF-C

K-x owners, correct me if I am wrong.
12-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What?

There are no LED's in the viewfinder. You get brackets to know where they are (for select-point AF), but 11-point and 5-point won't tell you where you focused, just when it acheives focus.
12-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
anyway, a "highly recommended" mark for a Pentax camera on DPreview it's quite nice, don't you think ?

12-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
pjr

QuoteQuote:
Overall the Pentax K-x performs, for a DSLR with an APS-C sized sensor, extremely well in low light. It appears with its newest model in the DSLR range Pentax has (finally) sorted the noise reduction in its JPEG engine (the K-x is miles ahead of the K-7 in low light). At default settings chroma and luminance noise reduction are perfectly balanced. The result is high ISO output that shows some luminance noise (which most viewers can easily live with) but very little chroma noise and a surprising amount of fine detail, even in shadow areas. With this performance the K-x easily beats most other APS-C cameras when shooting JPEGs, including much more expensive models. If you need better low light performance than this, going full-frame is pretty much your only option.
its nice to get this confirmation from professional reviewers..especially last line
12-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why is it that each time someone reviews a Pentax camera, people feel the need to review the review? What difference does it make?

I hardly think this topic belongs in the DSLR Discussion section.

Jason
12-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Why is it that each time someone reviews a Pentax camera, people feel the need to review the review? What difference does it make?

I hardly think this topic belongs in the DSLR Discussion section.

Jason

Where would it belong?

This is what internet forums are all about, c'mon.

Anyway, I called this (bold) when I heard what sensor it was using oh so long ago. Not a brilliant prediction, pretty safe, actually, but I knew we were getting a special little camera in that way.

QuoteQuote:
Crucially the image quality does not lag behind the technical specification. The
image output at base ISO shows good detail and colors but where the K-x really
starts to shine is in low light. Its high ISO JPEGs are possibly the best of all
current DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor
; they certainly beat any of its direct
competitors. The omission of visible AF points might be a serious drawback for
some photographers but if you're not one of them with the Pentax K-x you can
bag yourself a very capable entry-level DSLR at a bargain price.

12-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Where would it belong?

This is what internet forums are all about, c'mon.

Anyway, I called this (bold) when I heard what sensor it was using oh so long ago. Not a brilliant prediction, pretty safe, actually, but I knew we were getting a special little camera in that way.
usually in the "news and rumors" or "Other"...but hey, let the mods sort it out.

Jason
12-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have been a little underwhelmed by LR2's NR on RAW files. Not wanting to go into another program, I am inclined to start shooting RAW+ again ... but I hate dealing with 2 formats. Maybe I'll just go JPEG... but then I have less room for error and PP!

Agh!
12-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Igilligan

Negative Ned reporting in...

Wow pretty good review and any issues are exactly what we have been discussing for a while...

Thank goodness they got one where the batteries worked.
12-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #11

QuoteQuote:
The build quality is on par with the competition in the entry level bracket.
I think this is BS. The K-x has a much better build quality than the Nikons and Canons of the same price bracket. Sony is closer, but Ive never seen an Olympus so cant comment.

The rest of the review makes me very glad that I chose the K-x. I had been wondering how it would fare with DPR.
12-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by screaminglemon Quote
I think this is BS. The K-x has a much better build quality than the Nikons and Canons of the same price bracket. Sony is closer, but Ive never seen an Olympus so cant comment.

The rest of the review makes me very glad that I chose the K-x. I had been wondering how it would fare with DPR.
Better yes... much better? I'm not sure. Just personally I think the build quality have dropped since Pentax outed the K-m, I'm just being a bit nitpicky here of course, as it's still pretty good
12-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree that the K-x's build is not as good as the K200D or K20D but...

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Better yes... much better? I'm not sure. Just personally I think the build quality have dropped since Pentax outed the K-m, I'm just being a bit nitpicky here of course, as it's still pretty good
Have you held the 500D???
12-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Have you held the 500D???
I have, and it feels awful. Cheap plastics, bad grip. Even with the optional grip the impression remained. The AF was fast and silent though. BTW the K-x while smaller is actually heavier but its balance is good (weight on the right with the batteries) even better than the K-7 IMHO.
12-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm very happy that I have a white K-x on the way! I like the video quality, and the ISO performance is astonishing. My old K10D is passed by a long way.

Too bad the video recording doesn't have manual control though. And I want a proper interval function as it doesn't support a wire release.

I find it strange that when they transfer data from a SanDisk Extreme III card in a USB 2.0 card reader, they get 11.3 MBps. I get, with the same card, always around 20 MBps there. I use the card reader that came with my cards (SanDisk Extreme III 4GB).

Not really related to the K-x, but it's just weird.