Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Yeah, that's a very fair point. To be honest I wonder if it's just hardcore people that update their firmware, I'm not so sure if joe average really does?
Prolly not!??

12-24-2009, 11:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

What I'll be happy with is full manual video model, full control over the AF light, in camera HDR in raw, better DFS control and tethering if possible.
12-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like a fix on firware for the sdm/screw "issue". Also the possibility to apply a filter to several images at once and not one by one...
12-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
What I'll be happy with is full manual video model, full control over the AF light, in camera HDR in raw, better DFS control and tethering if possible.
And 1080p @23.976 fps if possible.

12-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #20
Forum Member

SR issue seems to have been fixed

I am sure there are some K-7 users that had occasionally encountered slightly blurry images when viewed at 100% with SR enabled and at faster shutter speeds. I first saw this when I was using an external flash, some of the images turned out to have a bit of "motion blur" effects but it's not easy to detect if not viewed at 100% on a computer. As I looked deeper into this, I found that this issue happens more often when the shutter speed is at or near 1/180s. At this speed, using a lens like the FA*28-70/2.8 or the DA*55/1.4 doesn't really need SR to kick in, but somehow SR was in action and caused the minor blur effect. In live view this never happens, only in regular shooting mode. If I turn off SR, the images will be tack sharp. This has caused me to turn off SR when using an external flash and in bright lighting when I am sure SR is not necessary.

I have been too busy to write about this in here but I have asked a few K-7 owners that I know in person and all but one could reproduce this issue. I had used the K10D, K20D, K200D and K-m previously and none of them had this issue.

Today I saw this "secret" firmware upgrade and decided to give it a go. Since I installed this 1.02.00.16 over my previous 1.02.00.14 version, I have yet to be able to reproduce this issue on my K-7. Having SR on or off at 1/160s shutter doesn't seem to make any difference any more.

Therefore I'd like to ask K-7 users here who have encountered the SR inconsistency issue to re-download this 1.02 release and give it a try.

It seems to have cured it for me so far but I'd like to hear other people's experience. If this was one of the fixes contained in this secret release, I have to say I am not fond of this kind of communications with customers by Pentax. If there's a bug (an important one this is too) we deserve to know when it is fixed.

Peter
12-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks Peter. i can't say I have ever noticed a shake reduction problem as I don't view at 100%, but noe you have me curious. I wonder if Pentax Sharpening 2 in the previous firm ware fix was an attempt to fix this problem?

Pentax needs to Stop pulling a Tiger Woods! If they made a mistake, Fess up and the problem goes away with happy people who feel they are being taken care of...By hiding the problems that are obvious to many they are bringing out the mistresses...
12-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thanks Peter. i can't say I have ever noticed a shake reduction problem as I don't view at 100%, but noe you have me curious. I wonder if Pentax Sharpening 2 in the previous firm ware fix was an attempt to fix this problem?

Pentax needs to Stop pulling a Tiger Woods! If they made a mistake, Fess up and the problem goes away with happy people who feel they are being taken care of...By hiding the problems that are obvious to many they are bringing out the mistresses...
As far as I know "Fine Sharpness 2" has nothing to do with the SR issue. It is simply a different set of sharpening profile, just a bit more aggressive compared with the existing Fine Sharpness one.

Peter
12-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

thanks Peter. I've experienced wha tyou describe so will give this firmware a try. Will report back...

Cheers, Nige

12-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

back again...

Took a couple of pics with external flash (AF540) and didn't get the double image. Also took some with the pop-up flash and my eyes may be deceiving me but at 800ISO there looks to be less noise. Need to do more tests and comparisons to old pics.
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just updated mine. hope to see any real difference there.