Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That lens/AFTC/body rig is the prize for the 1,000,000th Post, right Adam?
lol

dammit!
I need to raise my daily quota!

with an ave. of 2225 posts per day, I postulate I'll have this lens within 18 months. Which will be right on time for a wedding shoot coming up!

12-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #77
Forum Member

The pictures from your Kx aren't that bad. Go in and adjust the sharpness level and it will be fine. Nikon's are great "ready to go" camera's right out of the box. Pentax and Canon need a little adjustment then they are just as good as any Nikon (in my opinion). Their is just something about Pentax cameras and the color "Green" that go well together. When I had my first Pentax DSLR (*ist DS) it made the color green look so rich. I have had my share of Nikon Cameras (D70, D50, D3000 and D300s) and love then, but Pentax does just as good, with body SR, which I prefer over lens VR. Canon and Nikon love the VR in the lens, just so they can jack the price up on there lens. I have not seem where VR is superior to SR in Pentax Cameras. Be patient with the Pentax and once you get the hang of it, you will love the rich colors it produces.

Take Care and May God Bless (Merry Christmas also).

Ed
12-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #78
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That lens/AFTC/body rig is the prize for the 1,000,000th Post, right Adam?
Something like that!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to barge in on this thread and say that if you had this, your K-x would satisfy :tongue:

Probably, though it just might clash with the hernia one would get just lifting that rig up to mount on the tripod...

BTW, why is it whenever I see a lens that gaudy I remember the 70s and it's oh so lovely avocado green appliances or maybe even Canon white lenses? hehehe...

I want a dual sensor K-9, though it might be a real dog.........taptaptap...is this thing on? I know you are out there, I can hear the crickets!

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-25-2009 at 01:06 AM.
12-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VHDEL Quote
I hope you dont mind me spending a minute playing around with your KX image.

Only slight changes were made, which has me to belive you will need to play around with JPEG settings.

Top image is the origional

Cheers

Del
I'm coming late to this party, but did anybody see VHDEL's PP of the original shot? Clearly it seems like a little PP would make the OP's issues disappear.

Merry Christmas to all,
Kevin
12-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #81
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
I'm coming late to this party, but did anybody see VHDEL's PP of the original shot? Clearly it seems like a little PP would make the OP's issues disappear.

Merry Christmas to all,
Kevin
I agree. There's a difference between "soft" as in focus errors, and "soft" as in digitally not sharp.

Getting an expensive prime will not make this particular problem go away. That's just sending good money after bad. A kit lens should have easily handled this situation.

Some test shots, same combo, would answer the questions, as the subject matter of a neutral skin tones, pink baby skin tones, black, shiny sofa, harsh, bright sidelight, combined with a new camera at default (or wrong) factory settings is more likely the fault.
12-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
I posted on another forum about activation of SR. There is about 1 second delay before SR is engaged when the shutter is half-pressed. I got the same kind of blurry image as you did when I first got my K-x, after I started watching for the SR-active "Hand" symbol to come up, my images were nice and sharp.

Also, you can crank up the sharpening on K-x output images. They seem to have a lot of room left for sharpening.

Is this proven? Does this really make a difference? Because many a time I felt my hands were steady yet the pictures were noticeably blurry. I'm going to have to try it for my self.
12-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #83
Veteran Member

OH.. MY.. gosh, I have just found out that [done multiple tests] I had to wait for the SR icon to pop up in the viewfinder before I take a shot for it to utilize the SR. And it takes about a second for that to do that. I've always taken a shot way before it did show up. Pictures are much much clearer now. Thankyou LightBug!!!

edit: This seriously needs to be in the sticky

12-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
OH.. MY.. gosh, I have just found out that [done multiple tests] I had to wait for the SR icon to pop up in the viewfinder before I take a shot for it to utilize the SR. And it takes about a second for that to do that. I've always taken a shot way before it did show up. Pictures are much much clearer now. Thankyou LightBug!!!

edit: This seriously needs to be in the sticky
hehehe...welcome to the club...took be a few days to make the connection as well on the K20D. Consider it a right of passage!! BTW, not really a need for a sticky if we would all simply RTFM...RTFM...
12-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #85
Inactive Account

I would just as soon burn ants with my kit lens than try to get a decent picture with it.
12-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
I would just as soon burn ants with my kit lens than try to get a decent picture with it.
Just a crappy kit lens pic
12-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Sharp little ants .......

from: Pentax DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL Lens Review: 3. Test results: Digital Photography Review

" The little Pentax kit lens is a distinctly competent performer, and tends to be very sharp indeed at apertures of F8-F11. ....

This lens is at is best at wideangle (at 18mm it matches the more expensive 16-45mm at 20mm), but somewhat indifferent at telephoto. As might be expected, performance improves on stopping the lens down a bit, and is generally best at F8-F11, prior to the onset of diffraction. As usual F22 and smaller should generally be avoided, and don’t even think about stopping down to F40 at 55mm; the results make us wonder why Pentax even bother offering this aperture.
"

and a PopPhoto test of the Samsung clone:
Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF - Lens Review from Experts at Popular Photography- Photo Tips

" IN THE LAB
Sharpness and contrast, as determined by our SQF tests, were in the Excellent range at 18mm, 35mm, and 55mm
"

PopPhoto -SQF chart:
12-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Direct from jpeg out of camera, just resized, 18-55mm AL I version, no sharpening or anything at all.

EXIF:
Make - PENTAX Corporation
Model - PENTAX K200D
Orientation - Left bottom
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K200D Ver 1.00
DateTime - 2008:09:13 15:50:42
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 598
ExposureTime - 1/15 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2008:09:13 15:50:42
DateTimeDigitized - 2008:09:13 15:50:42
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.70
MeteringMode - Spot
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 18.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3872
ExifImageHeight - 2592
InteroperabilityOffset - 54284
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Auto
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 27 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Hard
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Close view

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Mode - Auto
Quality - Best
ISO - 100
White Balance - Auto
Lens Type - smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 54408
JpegIFByteCount - 7887

Last edited by cbaytan; 12-27-2009 at 01:52 PM.
12-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #89
Inactive Account

The one I have is the 35-80 F series lens. I only use mine when I want the convenience of AF since everything else I use is old MF lenses. Granted, its not like its all that bad a lens, but I don't find the build quality all that impressive and the fact that it only has an optimum aperture of F 3.5 at its shortest zoom makes it all the less useful to me.

Then again I've gotten some really good pictures with that lens, and have no intention of getting rid of it.

I bought the lens for like 20 bucks off ebay so I guess for that little money who can complain?
12-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #90
Veteran Member

The one I have is the 35-80 F series lens.

Then again I've gotten some really good pictures with that lens, and have no intention of getting rid of it.

I bought the lens for like 20 bucks off ebay so I guess for that little money who can complain?
Besides,
they toast ants really well

So we aren't even talking about the same lens?
The kit zoom lens for the K-x is the 18-55mm -
which as most have gathered
gets really good reviews......