Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question about K-x shutter life

Excuse me guys, just having too many questions. This one is about the shutter life, it's stated as 150,000, something like that, but does movie recording use shutter as usual? I mean, if it does, recording movies using K-x may shorten its life significantly. But my guess (and my wish) is that it doesn't use it? Hope some one knows.

12-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

Video doesn't use the shutter at all. The shutter is what 'opens' for a specific period of time (1/6000 - 30 seconds) to capture the picture.

For video, the shutter stays open and the image goes straight into the sensor (the mirror is up and the shutter is 'open').

For video you should be concerned about "sensor life," but don't worry about it. The sensor will definitely outlast the shutter.
12-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, so the so-called rolling shutter effect doesn't really involve a real shutter I guess.
12-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dude2009 Quote
Thanks, so the so-called rolling shutter effect doesn't really involve a real shutter I guess.
Correct, it doesn't.

That's how the sensor records the light. A rolling shutter captures line by line of pixels on the sensors instead of all pixels at ones. All DSLRs today has a rolling shutter. CCD does not, like those in DV cameras etc.. CMOS can apparently not have it as well, but I don't know why DLSRs doesn't use that.

Here is a site that shows this very well: CMOS Rolling Shutter