Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by erickallemeyn Quote
Just though I'd share the results of my boring day.

I've been slightly annoyed with the loud K-x shutter sound, so I attempted to quiet it! Being a computer modder at heart, I figured what the heck, might as well try.

Preliminary results definitely seem not-as-loud! I don't know by how much exactly, but definitely quieter.

2 pieces of duct tape overlapped on each side to cover the little plastic knob that stops the mirror and glass. Took maybe 10 minutes Although I'll have to remember to check the tape now and then to make sure it's not coming loose. That could be very bad...

50 shutter actuations so far, doesn't seem to interfere with the speed or movement at all, call me a happy guy today!
"Dont try this at home!"

12-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Inactive Account

My bad! I just took the pics down when I was cleaning up my web folders. I've still got them, but I suppose I'll leave them down now.

Not like you guys are nice to me anyways! (camera's working fine, btw.)
But for how long....
12-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rude replies aside, I always find these sort of DIY efforts very interesting. I like the idea, and Im glad that it works for now, but as others have noted the deterioration of duct tape may lead to future problems. There may be some way to seal the duct tape with something but that may introduce exponentially greater levels of risk for screwing up the camera.

After a serious web of cracks recently showed up in the front panel of my K-xs mirrorbox/flash area (Its been in a bag thats been handled pretty roughly all month... one of those falls onto hard rocks mustve done it ) Its currently sealed up with Shoe Goo, so since the warrantys been voided already Ive been considering some modifications of my own. Ive literally never used a built-in flash for a real photo, so Im considering getting rid of it to reduce the size of the mirrorbox protrusion. The important thing with any DIY attempt is to do as much research you can into any possible source of problems before proceding: for example, Ill need to do some self-education on wiring and voltages and flashes and etc (and deremel usage). Ill need to decide whether to remove the flash altogether or leave it in a form that no longer functions but leaves the circuitry unchanged. Im one whos happy to hack apart old microwaves to see how they work (or what you can do with the components) but when modifying a new $600 camera preparation is pretty important.
12-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Im one whos happy to hack apart old microwaves to see how they work (or what you can do with the components) but when modifying a new $600 camera preparation is pretty important.
True story...my brother had a boss that was a cheap engineer and always tried to fix things. His microwave broke so he went poking around with the safety mechanism (door open = turn off microwave) disabled. He had his head inside the microwave when he felt it getting warm. Yikes! He ran out of the room!

To the OP - keep us up to date to see if the mod holds. The K-x shutter is loud!

12-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #20

Original Poster
trolls aside,

what'cha guys think about gaffers tape? That stuff doesn't unravel or get sticky when hot. Might be a 'safer' solution (not that this is safe at all!)
12-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
trolls aside,

what'cha guys think about gaffers tape? That stuff doesn't unravel or get sticky when hot. Might be a 'safer' solution (not that this is safe at all!)
I am not sure how much you know about how SLR works, but the mirror is more that just passing the image onto the focus screen, but also determines the exact focus being projected onto the focus screen, and the AF sensor underneath it. By taping anything on the mirror bumpers will push the mirror upward, and therefore affects the focus point as well, even by a tiny bit. Gaffers tape are thicker than duct tape, and will magnifier this error further. Also, some mirror bumpers aren't as rigid as they appear. Toying with them too much can actually alter their pre-adjusted positions. When this happened, a significant part of the camera had to be disassembled just to have them re-adjusted. Just for your reference, the front bumper determines the large mirror position, the rear one for the sub-mirror that's for AF. Good luck.

Last edited by wlachan; 12-29-2009 at 09:53 AM.