Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

K-x Silent Shutter Mod :)

Just though I'd share the results of my boring day.

I've been slightly annoyed with the loud K-x shutter sound, so I attempted to quiet it! Being a computer modder at heart, I figured what the heck, might as well try.

Preliminary results definitely seem not-as-loud! I don't know by how much exactly, but definitely quieter.

2 pieces of duct tape overlapped on each side to cover the little plastic knob that stops the mirror and glass. Took maybe 10 minutes Although I'll have to remember to check the tape now and then to make sure it's not coming loose. That could be very bad...

50 shutter actuations so far, doesn't seem to interfere with the speed or movement at all, call me a happy guy today!

Last edited by erickallemeyn; 12-26-2009 at 01:42 PM.
12-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AF & manual focus through the focus screen would be affected, if I am not mistaken.
12-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
A black K-x! That's rare
12-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd try to avoid such reflective materials. A wise thing would be sticking a black painted paper tape over it.
The thing about focus accuracy is true aswell. The mirror has to stop exactly at 45 degrees, otherwise light path distances for focusing screen and AF sensors are not equal with diistance to sensor.

But the idea as whole is not very wise.. i'd be afraid that something might stick off and get caught in some fragile mechanic part like the shutter.

Btw, i've observed that lens has a lot to do with how the camera sounds. Maybe some vibration dampening material around the mount can help.

12-25-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

not sure I would put duct tape inside a camera body. The reason is the adhesive on duct tape is AWFUL and will not only leave a residue you will likely never be able to remove w/o risking damage to the sensor but also as the tape deteriorates the fibers will begin to unravel causing who knows what other issues. Also, over time the adhesive dries out and will, not may, but will turn into a powder which will end up inducing dust into the body of the camera...Last under heat/warm conditions the adhesive in duct tape will soften and potentially move around. There is a reason camera makes do not use this sort of thing for sound dampening of the mirror slap. Not sure what they do in the K7 but it's not gonna be duct tape...hehehe...though Red Green would be proud of ya!!

And even more important, you likely have completely voided your warranty.

I hear ya as to WHY it was important to you to figure something out to dampen the slap...only there had to be other less harmful, more reversible, and less potentially harmful options...hope nothing eventually goes wrong or that you ever need to send the body in for warranty service because you might have boned yourself in that area...this is the sort of thing that puts me off buying a used body.
12-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yea =/

i'd refrain from putting foreign objects in the camera near the sensor and the mirror... especially if it has the potential of leaving a sticky residue...

i consider [D]SLR's to be precision equipment so i wouldnt mess with its workings...
12-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Noisy are you kidding?

The whole point of having a DSLR imho is for the distinct clicking noise it makes! Personally I find the shutter sound on the K-7 way too quiet for my tastes and would much prefer if it was louder like the K-X.

I guess i'm strangely old fashioned for a 26 year old, but I like my shutters loud, I like my viewfinders analogue and I don't like shooting in program mode lol.

12-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #8

I also enjoy the shutter sound of my K-x. Having said that, I can see that there are times when you'd want it to be quiet so as not to disturb others in certain situations however I will not be sticking any tape inside my new camera.
12-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
Warranty? I don't need no stinkin warranty!

I've actually done some focus tests (45* angle on a newspaper) and it's still spot on. No issues to speak of. A 16-50 DA* lens definitely helps with the noise too.
12-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

got your ID marked to never ever, EVER, buy any used gear from ya...hehehehe....but, hey, it's your cash so what the heck, HAVE FUN with it!!
12-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Absolutely retarded.
12-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

looks like the OP took his ball and went home. pics are gone too funny.
12-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
looks like the OP took his ball and went home. pics are gone too funny.
It's a pity that someone trying to achieve something is laughed at. He risked destroying his camera, so what?
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erickallemeyn Quote
Warranty? I don't need no stinkin warranty!

I've actually done some focus tests (45* angle on a newspaper) and it's still spot on. No issues to speak of. A 16-50 DA* lens definitely helps with the noise too.
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
It's a pity that someone trying to achieve something is laughed at. He risked destroying his camera, so what?
Actually if your read the reply from the OP you can see he was either OK with the ribbing or just being a putz about it...I felt it was not a smart move but as i wrote, its his gear and what others think doesn't matter.
12-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #15

Original Poster
My bad! I just took the pics down when I was cleaning up my web folders. I've still got them, but I suppose I'll leave them down now.

Not like you guys are nice to me anyways! (camera's working fine, btw.)