Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Updating Firmware on K-7.

Alright, I downloaded the latest firmware update on a empty SD card. One thing I did notice is that the windows option didn't have Windows 7. Will this be an issue? Also, now that I have the latest version on my SD card, how do I install it on my K-7? I went thru the different menus in the camera, but couldn't find which one to push, to download the latest version. Can anyone help me out with this. Yes, I know it is probley easy, but I'm still learning the K-7 menu (use to using my Canon 50D and Olympus E-300 menus). Any help would be deeply appreciated!

Take Care and May God Bless!

Ed

Last edited by ronin67; 12-24-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo
12-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Win 7 shouldn't matter. If the files extract, then it works.
If it doesn't, get someone to send you the extracted files.
There should have been a help file associated with the .bin file that was packed in the self extractor.
Please read it.
In a nutshell, you put the .bin file onto the root directory of a clean SD card. Put said card into the slot, close the door, and turn the camera on while pressing the menu button. You will be prompted by the camera from there.
Make sure you have a new battery in the camera.
I will not be held liable if you follow these instructions and things go sideways.
12-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Ed. If I remember correctly....insert SD card with firmware package. Then, turn the camera on while holding down the menu button. The camera will then prompt you to complete the upgrade.

Also, I'd advise you to check the install instructions on the pentax imaging usa website under support, firmware downloads and install. They should be the same for any firmware install.
12-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys. I got thru it. That put file in root directory was stopping me. I saved the update in the folder already established by the camera on the SD card. I erased the folder and installed same on the wiped clean SD card and it worked like a charm. What did this lastest update actually improve? I read it helped with something with the battery grip (which I have on my K-7/Pentax grip not aftermarket version).

Take Care and may God Bless you all during this Christmas Season.

Ed