Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #1

Card Lock

Hi All:

Just received my new K100D, and when I inserted the 2GB card is always show as "Card Lock", and I did slide the switch to unlock position.

Is this something wrong with the camera?

thanks
vua

06-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Original Poster
I tested two cards, and they all have the same message "Card Lock".
06-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
sorry, I have never seen this issue discussed before.

My only suggestion (since you tried a different card) is to try those cards in some other device?? What else can you say about the cards? are they similar? If they are the y same type or from the same source, it could be the cards not the camera.

Hang in there, start over, try again. maybe you just overlooked something easy? I had a really stupid battery issue when my camera was brand new, that turned out to be just me being in a hurry to try the camera, and not paying attention to what I was doing... Maybe there is a simple fix that you can figure out and share with us.

sorry to not be more help...
06-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First of all, make sure the card itself isn't physically locked. Assuming you're using an SD card (MMC cards may be the same), there is a tiny switch on the side of the card that locks and unlocks the card. Make sure that switch is in the unlocked position.

Next, make sure the card is fully inserted into the camera. It will click into place when inserted properly. Also make sure the camera door over the card is fully closed afterwards - the camera will not operate with this door open, out of the fully locked position, or damaged in some way.

If that doesn't work, it is possible the card is so poorly formated the camera cannot detect it properly. Format the card using your computer and then reinsert it into the camera. If that works, immediately reformat the card using the camera (always format a camera card using the camera it will be used with).

If all that fails, you may simply be using a card that is incompatible with your camera. There are slight variations in the internal hardware/formating between memory card brands, causing little incompatibilities such as this. Try a card made by another manufacturer.

Only after all this would I consider the possibility of something wrong with the camera itself. However, before going into a panic, wait to see if someone else here has another possibility or suggestion.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 06-16-2007 at 11:43 PM.
06-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

What make is the card? Some manufacturers might format them strangely (possibly in a file format that your camera doesn't recognise). Also is it possible that your camera can't read/write SDHC or higher speed cards? I don't know anything about the K100D.
06-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just moved my SD card lock to the locked position to see what you were refering to. If the card lock switch/lever on the card is all the way forward (toward the gold contacts) it is unlocked. If it all the way toward the back (away from the gold contacts) it is locked.

when I inserted the locked SD card on my K10D and turned it on the screen displayed "Card Locked". When I unlocked the card and reinserted it, the camera started up normally.

First make sure the card is unlocked. Then insert the card and turn on the camera. You must fully insert the card and close the door for the camera to function properly. If you have dont all this and are 100% sure that you are inserting an unlocked SD card then I'd assume that the camera is not properly sensing the status of your SD card.
06-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all replies.

1) Both cards I tested are working fine with my Cannon
2) I slid the lock on the card to unlock position
3) I inserted the card all the way into the camera
4) Card is made by pqi and the other by kingston
06-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it possible this is a firmware situation. That the camera needs updating on the Pentax web site? I'd try a 1Gb card as well if formatting (maybe the Canon formatting causes an issue so try the computer format as well) the card doesn't solve the issue and I'd check the web site for a firmware upgrade. I have a K110 but have never used higher than 1gb without issue. That's all I can offer.

06-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
I thought about the firmware, so I checked pentax web but they said nothing about requirement to upgrade firmware to read card greater than 1GB. Beside this is a brand new camera and I received only few days; therefore, I don't want to void the dealer warranty.

So I called the dealer for an exchange, and they accepted my exchange. Now I am packing it up exactly to original and will send it back for another one.

I love pentax and still have faith with pentax, probably this camera is one out of a thousand.

Cheers,
vua
06-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Aren't all SDHC cards formatted as Fat32? Stick it into your computer and right click > properties to see what file system it is using. You could probably do some quick research to find out what file systems are used by your camera and the canon.

You could also buy a brand new card (2gb 150x Transcend are 10 on Amazon over here) to try with it. Firmware update is worth a shot. Also is there a way to hard reboot these cameras? But if you are really trying everything and hitting a dead end, ring Pentax or take it back to where you got it from? Given that the SD format is widely used accross many different products, I am beginning to think you may have a camera fault looking at the evidence, but I'm no expert.
06-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
Aren't all SDHC cards formatted as Fat32? Stick it into your computer and right click > properties to see what file system it is using. You could probably do some quick research to find out what file systems are used by your camera and the canon.

You could also buy a brand new card (2gb 150x Transcend are 10 on Amazon over here) to try with it. Firmware update is worth a shot. Also is there a way to hard reboot these cameras? But if you are really trying everything and hitting a dead end, ring Pentax or take it back to where you got it from? Given that the SD format is widely used accross many different products, I am beginning to think you may have a camera fault looking at the evidence, but I'm no expert.
One of the card is brand new, 2GB 150X, I bought it yesterday. I tested this card with other camera and it works flawlessly.
06-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

At this point I would send it back. Apparently you have already started the process. Something inside the camera senses if the card is locked or not and apparently it is not working properly. I know alot of people have suggested a firmware update but I cant see how it will be possible to do a firmware update if you camera cant read from the SD card that the firmware would be on.

Two diferent brand SD cards, both working on another camera but not working on the K10D? I'd say time to send it back.
06-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

It is highly probable that the socket in the card slot is faulty.

Surprisingly, the switch on the SD card is simply a movable plastic 'lump' with no contacts or the like in the card.

The position of the switch actually pushes a contact set in the side of the socket whose position is determined by the presence of the 'lump' in the lock position or not.

If the contacts at the side of the socket are bent or misaligned etc. the card socket will not work correctly.

Rod
06-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RodConn Quote
It is highly probable that the socket in the card slot is faulty.

Surprisingly, the switch on the SD card is simply a movable plastic 'lump' with no contacts or the like in the card.

The position of the switch actually pushes a contact set in the side of the socket whose position is determined by the presence of the 'lump' in the lock position or not.

If the contacts at the side of the socket are bent or misaligned etc. the card socket will not work correctly.

Rod
These sockets are deep inside the card slot, and how can anyone bend it. Beside this is the new camera, it should has passed the inspection before release to market. I guess they missed this one ....

The box is on its way back to the dealer for a replacement.
06-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vuacorona Quote
..... it should has passed the inspection before release to market. I guess they missed this one ....

The box is on its way back to the dealer for a replacement.

I had to return my first K10D body due to a small spot that was apparently a defect on the sensor low pass filter. It took about a week for me to get the replacement via mail order return. Some times things slip through the quailty control.