Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-X for Outdoor Shooting?

I have had my K200d for a year and love it. I've taken almost 15,000 pictures with it, most of them outdoors, often in poor weather conditions (very cold, drizzly, rainy, snow). I'm now considering adding a second body to my kit because I've become so dependent on the camera and should have a back-up. I could try to find a new or excellent used second 200d, but they're becoming rare. So, I began looking at the new cameras and liked the look of the K-x because of the price and high ISO. However, it's not weather sealed like the 200d, as you know.

My question, then, is aimed at those of you who have had a chance to use your K-x cameras outdoors. Is the lack of weather sealing a significant problem? Would you NOT recommend the K-x for wildlife and nature shots?

Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

12-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #2

I have a K-x and to me it isn't really a problem, as none of my lenses are weather sealed anyway and I don't plan on buying DA* lenses. I have a good waterproof camera bag.
Once I dropped my K-x with FA-50mm in the snow, wiped it off, removed the batteries just in case and let it dry, no problems at all after that.
12-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I used a plastic bag to cover my K-m and lens while shooting in rain and snow. Cold is not an issue, it can stand low temperatures (- 10-15 Celsius) better tha me
12-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Simico, good idea. I keep my K200d tucked inside my jacket or coat in foul or cold weather, and keep it under an umbrella or other cover when it's raining or snowing, so it hasn't been exposed to a full-blown "wet." Lodewijk, dropping a cam and lens into the snow would make my heart stop! Glad to hear that the K-x and lens are OK, and it's pretty good indication that the camera is up to being used outdoors. Thanks!