Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

K-7 mystery line?

Right, I bought a K-7 last Saturday, and so far I've been highly impressed, excellent performance and image quality all round.

However, today I powered it on mid-morning after showing some images on the TV (and after some shooting earlier) and was greeted with a strange vertical line down the middle of the LCD screen (A couple of pictures of this attached). At first it was just flickering a bit, but now it's there all the time. (Viewing shots, live view, menus - any use of the screen).

It doesn't affect the shots captured at all, it just seems to be to do with the screen. I've updated it to the latest firmware (I went from 1.00 to 1.02), recharged the battery, formatted the card, but nothing seems to have any impact on this line.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Any insight into why this might be happening would be hugely welcome, and anything I could do about it.

It's incredibly frustrating, because the K-7 is such a fantastic camera otherwise.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S5700 S700  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S5700 S700  Photo 
12-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks to me (a guess) that you have a defective row of pixels. Not the pixels themselves but the circuit that 'lights up' that row. I have not seen this reported on any other bodies but it sometimes happens with LCD's. The only thing you could try is a "hard reset" rest all the settings to default and then remove the batteries for 15 minutes or so. Then try it out again. If the problem is still there, return the camera for a replacement since it is still new.
12-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yep.. seems like a faulty LCD...

never heard of it occuring on small LCD screens before though...

there probably was a chance of it fixing itself when it was flickering a bit, but it seems like its dead now that the line is permanent...

just send it in for a replacement..
12-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I tried resetting and taking the battery out, but it didn't help, so I'm going to try and get it replaced.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help

12-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
please do so. it's a defective pixel alright and that needs immediate replacement.
01-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
All sorted now, I've got a replacement and it works fine. Thanks again.