Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fixable problem, or ignore it?

Hey folks-

My K100D recently developed a sensor flaw - a line, a single pixel wide, across the entire image, just off-centre. It's only mildly annoying; I have to look hard to find it on most images, and at normal size it's barely noticeable. If it really shows up anywhere, I can clone it out. However, if it were relatively simple to fix, then I might bother. It does sort of bug me, but I'm no pro, so it isn't worth a big hassle!

Below is a sample of the problem. The image is cropped for composition (it's a little less than half the frame) and resized to 500x700 px and sharpened. The line is pretty much invisible. The "100%" crop shows the line, smack in the middle, running horizontally. Sharpened to emphasize the line.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, did you get it fixed, and how?

Thanks for any info!

Julie

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
12-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does it show up on actual prints or just the file?
12-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it just me or can others not see the line? I turned on set the Magnifier to 4 x and swept back anforth across the middle of the cropped photo.
12-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
And is it in every photo? in the same location? and have you tried another memory card?

12-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I can see the line, a very fine one at that so all I can say is that foxglove has a keen eye!
12-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Is it just me or can others not see the line? I turned on set the Magnifier to 4 x and swept back anforth across the middle of the cropped photo.
Maybe time to consider glasses.
12-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great move, I ask a question then disappear into the holidays for days... So to finally address your very sensible questions that I should have anticipated!

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
No idea - I haven't printed anything with the line. It's pretty subtle, I doubt it would show up except at very large size, which is one reason I'm not worrying too much about it. But if it got worse...

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
And is it in every photo? in the same location? and have you tried another memory card?
Every photo (as far as I know), same location, two different memory cards.

The camera just passed image 4200, which seems a little early to be developing faults, although I suppose it could be the result of the slightly rough handling it suffers on occasion.

Any suggestions, further questions?

12-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pixel Fixer | Hot pixel removal utliity

Remove hot strips from raw files Some hot pixels cause a faint line that extends all the way to the edge of the image. These can also be removed by Pixel Fixer, provided you indicate which hot pixel is associated with it.

Pentax
  • K10D
  • K20D
  • *ist D
  • *ist DS/DS2
  • *ist DL/DL2
  • K100D
  • K110D
  • K100D Super
  • K200D

Thank you
Russell
12-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
This looks like a good utility, but will it work on newer bodies?
12-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
This looks like a good utility, but will it work on newer bodies?
Send the developers a file and see if they will work on it. They have requested files for different cameras in the past.

Thank you
Russell
12-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Pixel Fixer | Hot pixel removal utliity

Remove hot strips from raw files Some hot pixels cause a faint line that extends all the way to the edge of the image. These can also be removed by Pixel Fixer, provided you indicate which hot pixel is associated with it.
Hmmmm.... that's very interesting. I'll have to look very closely and see if there is a hot pixel at one end of the line. I know there are a few hot pixels that show up on longer exposures, but those are taken care of by Camera Raw - that's a pretty common problem, besides. I guess this Pixel Fixer must be for really stuck pixels.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Julie