Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p0opstlnksal0t Quote
i didnt buy it for the size, rather the performance and cost of it... frankly i find it a little too small for my fat sausage hands.
you got a hilarious user name

01-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #32

Before I got my K200D, I was also considering the k-x, but after I found out that it would have no battery grip support, and that it doesn't have a top-LCD, I went with the K200D. Looking back, the only reason why I wanted the battery grip was because I wanted more battery life. And if the designers also think of it that way, their decision would be justified.

The K200D shoots 1100 shots in their labs on lithiums with no grip. With the grip, you can double that number minus about 100 shots, say 2100 shots in their labs. The K-x can pull off 1900 shots on lithium, no grip. I'm sure they thought there was no way a k-x user would run out of batteries before he would run out of memory card space, and deemed a battery grip unnecessary.

Also, I believe that most companies want to design as light as possible, which is why the k-7 commands a premium for its magnesium frame, while k200D only gets steel. Sadly, this goes against your preference of a solid heavy feel.

Finally, another reason I could think of why they wouldn't design a battery grip for it is because the new rage for battery grips is vertical grip, where the grip includes a plethora of buttons to help in vertical shooting. For every extra function, they would have to route an extra set of cables in the body, therefore raising design complexity and production costs.
01-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
you got a hilarious user name

morechars
01-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #34
Forum Member

I want a grip for the K-x, too!

As I am doing more wedding work, I am seeing the need to have a second camera body. I also see a need for better low-light performance than my K10D offers. I really wanted to like the K-7, and in fact I like everything about it except for the sensor's low-light capability (which was the most important improvement I was hoping for).

So I'm caught between the K-7 and the K-x. The K-7 is by far the better camera, but the K-x has a significantly better sensor for low-light/high-ISO work. I want the K-x's sensor, but I don't really want to use a tiny crippled camera (compared to my K10D). My K10D was too small for me, especially once I added the DA* 50-135mm -- until I added the battery grip. Now it seems perfect in my hands.

I can't imagine spending twice as much on the K-7, when the K-x will give me better image quality, but I also don't know if it would be worth it to spend money on a new camera that has such a limited number of external controls, doesn't show the focus point in the view finder, and has no battery grip.

If Pentax made a grip available, it would certainly make the choice easier. It doesn't even need to hold batteries or have buttons, I just need the camera to fit into my hand.

Better yet, they could make a K-7x (K-7 with the sensor from the K-x) and solve all my problems! Please, Pentax! Make me a K-7x!